Stock Brakes = Garbage

After today I don’t care what anybody says, about getting hawk pads and better rotors for the track and you’ll be fine. I’m going to the track on the 25th its gonna be my first time. I just put in a set of new brembo blank rotors(vented front/solid back) and shit monroe pads from crappy tire. Ask me why i didn’t get hawk or ebc ones for 40 bucks more, because i needed them asap, anyway I wanted to see what kind of fade I should expect on the track, I was at 16/mccowan avenue headed to the timmies at highway 7/mccowan, yes only a 2 km ride with a few red lights. I did some hard braking from 80km/h-10km/h-80-10… I’ve made them smoke before and notice quite a bit of fade, but I got to the timmies and billows of smoke were commin out, like I did a burnout, I look at my rotor… what do I see? glowing red. by that time braking was almost gone. so I jumped back in my car drove around for a bit with smooth very light braking once in a while so they cool evenly and don’t warp. My point is I had shit monroe pads and i was driving for 2 minutes, Ima be on the track from 6-9 and braking much harder than I was doing now. I’ll prolly have more of an engine brake than my brakes, and if I got performance pads the rotors would be yellow instead of red.
Point Im trying to make, if you gonna go on the track and play hard don’t listen to anyone telling u about SS line, better rotors better pads, and you’ll be fine. Your gonna need a bigger and better system, I’m not even sure that the 300zx brakes would to it for a couple hours on the track, but Ive never tried them and i might be wrong. Luckily i flushed the system with motul 5.1 a week ago and It’s not boiling.

i have been to the track a few times with nothing but the breaks a lady bought before i owned the car, never have i experenced brake fade or anything like that, but i have never done heavy breaking, only drifting

i do alot of heavy brakein up past concession 9 (very nice windy roads), with canadian tire brakes. never have they done that, you must have a caliper sticking or didnt clean them all that well?

There’s been so many brake threads lately and i had a shit fight with mark the omg 300zx brakes are too much… It might be an issue with your brakes as what the people above said, but honestly, with new pads and rotors when i first got my car, i thought it was DANGEROUS to drive. Either this or either people just haven’t driven BETTER cars with BETTER brakes. I mean my dad’s taurus could outbreak over and over again and NOT fade compared to my 240 stock brakes. Notice the fact that a taurus is a giant pig and a 240 well its a 240.

300ZX brakes with stockish pads still sucked to me, once i got the HP+ pads, things got better (great initial bite, more or less no fade, but of course lots of dust, and a bit of squeel but that doesn’t bothe rme). I run motul rbf600 fluid btw. Now, my car slightly brakes better than my dad’s taurus pig. It’s great, and this is getting somewhere, but imho for a sports car this should be STOCK and not a upgrade lol. I can’t get it to fade that easily now, but I also drive very gently lately.

Also if you don’t fade STOCK brakes, you seriously drive like a frickin granny! Especially if you are so ‘hardcore’ and go to the track. I can’t believe it… i just can’t. Stock brakes were scary to me, i mean really suicide on wheels, plain SUCK. You guys seriously need to drive other cars… I have a second car now with brand new calipers, rotors, pads, (ford focus) and it feels alright, not like my car, soft pedal, less stopping power, and does fade a little, but it feels better than stock 240 brakes. And that’s a what… another family car.

I drove a friend’s stock 240 a while ago and damn does it SUCK to go back to those… damn… DAMN… that and those stock s13 seats haha… just terrible…

My setup is 300zx front and rear, no ABS, rbf600 fluid, rear is powerslot rotors and HPS pads, front is brembo blanks with HP+ pads. pdm racing front and rear ss conversion lines, the larger 300zx mbc and uprated brake servo (i forget what from as the previous one was crap), the car stops quite nice, but it could be better. The current mbc should be a little smaller though as it can lock up if not modulated proprely, so its not efficient, either way i need more tires, fade-wise its okay… not on the track but hey, if I can fade stock brakes in dd, traffic, etc… and my stock pad 300zx setup was getting faded in dd, traffic, etc… you drive like a grandma on the track to be not breaking or fading stock brakes… and don’t do much late braking, i don’t care what someone says cause they’re not worth it even for a dd.

I should have considered something like arizona z car’s willwood setup… cheap for what it is but no one speaks ills of it, except people who only know hearsay. Everyone who got it had nothing but good things to say. But of course that’s a bit more expensive than pad replacment heh… but considering how much it cost to get a descent 300zx setup, the price would have been the same…

oh yeah my set up is stock 20$ rotors that were warped the first time you hit the brakes, and about 20-30% life left on the ct pads, stops like a friggin dream

Killa, make sure you listen to Ahmed and everything will be fine.

lol@mark the clown

Didn’t you say that you don’t post on SON anymore?

I dont, didn’t you notice lately? Oh wow for once Mark doesn’t think so much about me and forgot I exist, what a great feeling, finally he is not homosexually in love with me anymore, lol cool.

This is hillarious, a bunch of kids that have never been to the track talking about what adequate braking systems are. You want a metaphor for this? I’ll give you a perfect one “Well, I’ve never seen a lion before, but my friend has a really big cat, so it should be a lot like that.”
If you fade stock brakes on the street, then you’re an idiot. There’s something called predictive driving, and looking at what cars infront of you are doing. I barely ever have to use my brakes on the street. If you see a whole bunch of people’s brake lights come on, even if they’re far ahead, you let off the gas and slow down, so that you don’t have to make a hard stop later on.

hahahaha I really like that metaphor,

Good one

i agree with solarian.

Z32s are more than enough braking power, for stock KA. i’m going to be upgrading soon to brembo blank rotors, and even still, the power good enough.

i agree with you, on the stock braking system though, had to learn it the hard way though, before i actually changed braking system.

i experienced a bit of fade on stock z32 pads, but i’ve now upgraded to rotora semi-ceramic (street/track) pads, and are they hella good. in the beginning, it was a bit weak, but the pedal feel is much more predictable and reliable.

i bet they were smoking because they were just getting bedded

i wonder if he used proper break in tecnique?

u think he knows what he is talking about ?

so many experts here , how bout i show u guys a 240sx with stock brakes and just hawk pads and ebc rotors that will not fade and out brake ur z32 setupahmed, ur a dork maybe you should take your dads taurus to the track since it is such a supirior machine to our 240’s in so many ways

i bet they were smoking because hes a dumbass.

you clearly have no clue, sell your car and buy a skateboard.

i hope im never on the track with you.

GT

I am laughin my ass off! This thread is hilarious! So far… out of this ENTIRE thread… I see one… maybe two of the people who have posted that have actually been to a track day before and have any fathomable idea of what kind of brakes are needed for a track day.

Keep it coming guys its keeping me entertained!

rawr … my stock blank rotors/ pads are fine since i bought the car …2.2years and counting… and i am late braker daily … obviously if u go to track u need to take time to cool down ur car including tires and brake pads… how many laps u do consecutively? how u brake? downshifts? anyways just get new pads and brembo blanks will do just fine…

and obviously these neg commments always comes along with posts like these …so dont get pressured… lol

“with new pads and rotors when i first got my car, i thought it was DANGEROUS to drive.”

------AAhmed you really need to learn how to drive, u must drive like a complete retard.
Please go to the MTO and surrender your license.

" Now, my car slightly brakes better than my dad’s taurus pig."
------ Buy a Taurus and leave , you would be doing a great benefit to the 240 community if you did.

“Also if you don’t fade STOCK brakes, you seriously drive like a frickin granny!”

------If you fade stock brakes on the road then you shouldn’t have your license because you clearly don’t know how to drive.

“if I can fade stock brakes in dd, traffic, etc… and my stock pad 300zx setup was getting faded in dd, traffic, etc”

Do you drive with 1 foot constantly on the brake or somthing?

You = Ricer

GTFO!

Wow - I’ll regurgitate what everyone mentioned above just so it may actually seep into your mind. Your are an idiot for posting what you did. You have no valid merits behind your little test and how can you say that proper pads and rotors dont work when you NEVER TRIED THEM!

I cant wait for your full report on your track day.

did you flush all your fluid? did you replace your 17 year old rubber flex brake lines? did you bed the pads in accord to manufacuter’s directions?

uhm, I had lots of fade early in my S-chassis history, econo pads and rotors stink, ever tried to brake from 180km/h… the didn’t work once I managed to slow to about 40km/h,

Z32 FTW, even with porterfeild RS4 pads and Bing’s economy X-drilled they never once left me wondering if I would stop, I only ever wondered if I was going to get rear ended…

But on a serious note, my sisters S14 with Hawk pads and EBC slotted/dimpled rotors kick some serious ass, however, once they warm up you can really feel the slots taking it to the pads…