super sexy full race evo setup (twin scroll 42r)

this is just sexy… I love teh I/C design.

[quote=“Full-Race Geoff”"]

totally stock looking evo8 with a 4" tip…

wait thats not a stock FMIC and radiator! :confused:

and thats not a stock engine bay!!

this customer came to us, and obviously does not care about anything except going extremely fast. He brought us this 03 evo8 with 10k miles and said he wanted a ~1000hp evo with fast spool. we discussed compromises and options, and knew we had a lot of work to do to get here:

we used a Full-Race Twinscroll Non-AC manifold:

we designed and fabricated a massive vertical flow intercooler with optimized endtanks, high flow charge piping and a centrally located BOV

ultra short 3" charge piping connects the Full-Race vertical flow FMIC to the Hypertune Intake Manifold/TB

then we custom fabricated a dual-pass radiator which sits in the AC condensor location. you can also see the Full-Race vacuum distribution block (on the firewall), custom fabricated bubbler tank (pass side strut tower) and the catch can with CDI box and integrated battery mount (driver side strut tower)

Full-Race/TiAL 44mm wastegates (black anodized)

the 42R with its 5" intake makes the 3" charge piping look tiny!

some NSFW weld pr0n!

a little more…

got it all together ready to go to UMS Tuning and have Tony get busy on the dyno.

vid on the dyno: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JgATIXNVQxM

vid of the 2step: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrOeeH9w6y8

pulling out of the shop: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEMQ907rt-M&feature=related

dynoplots resulted in an 873whp 696lbft monster. Extremely responsive, and not the typical lazy/laggy big turbo feel. Very driveable and scary fast.

Setup Details are as follows:

We wanted a very simple build to maximize reliability/durability and also not sacrifice driveability in favor of max power. We used a Stock Port head, stock size valves, 2.3L block built by Justice Racing engines (FANTASTIC work btw) and very basic motor config. Hypertune Intake Manifold/TB helps aid breathing, with Ferrea Valvesprings/Retainers barely being worked by the relatively small HKS 272 cams (i really want to get the big tomei cams in there!!)

turbo config:

Full-Race Twinscroll Turbo Manifold
Full-Race 4" Downpipe
Full-Race 4" Aluminum Exhaust with ultra-lightweight muffler
Full-Race VerticalFlow intercooler (oversized)
(2) tial 44mm wg’s
tial 50mm BOV

AEM EMS
1600CC RC injectors
(2) bosch fuel pumps
Custom dual pass radiator w/ swirlpot bubbler tank
custom catch can
quaife front and center diffs
carbonetic clutch

PS: i hope you like the thread, it took me all night. if you need any specs info or pics let me know and ill upload them

PSS: if you want to see our twinscroll STi Streetcar beating up on some of the top time attack racecar teams in the country check out this link:

http://www.iwsti.com/forums/engine-power-performance/123856-full-race-twinscroll-35r-testing-modified-magazine-tuner-shootout-5-24-a.html

[/quote]

rofl wow… thats super nice.

as much as that is cool… if you quadruple the power of the car you should put some serious $$$ into appropriate suspension and brake upgrades…

if this guys dumps $25k into the motor he should have Moton’s and some MONSTER Rotors’s or Brembo’s up front and in the rear.

car is improperlly balanced imho.

I like it. This appears to have had some fore thought in the design process and carried out nicely. The way a turbo setup should be. :tdown: to the 2.3 however.

LOL that exhaust manifold is insane! lol

ugh. I think that blue looks like shit too :frowning:

Stock brembo’s are more than adequate at stopping nearly any vehicle on the road. 99% of the 6, 8, 52 piston brakes on the market are purely marketing. Pull the ABS fuse and I bet those will lock the car up plenty fast, tires and pads are WAY more important than the calipers/rotors when you already have ones that are 11"+

like said earlier the balance is unequal but still a nice car.

Yeap should have mixed some black in with the clear, or a little more in with the paint, either or.

Other than that, its SIQQQ

i dont doubt the stock Evo brakes are good… certainly better than i am used to… but they are also designed for a sub-300 awhp car. Even with upgraded pads and rotors, unless he is using some serious shit. wont be enough.

and 11" brakes dont mean a thing with 800 AWHP… 11" rotors get laughed off the track in any competive racing series. they’re okay for my car with less than half the hp and 500 lbs lighter than that Evo.

that car appears to be using stock suspension, and lets assume mild upgrades to brakes…

they are not appropriate for the power he puts to the ground. << notice the . (period) at the end of the sentence.

stock body is also silly.

you wont be upsetting the lines of the car with a simply lip and a splitter that is not visible from anywhere but under the car.

considering the foresight invested into the motor, these are material oversights…hopefully it is a work in progress.

does it realy matter whether not your 0-60 is 11sec or 1.5 sec, the stopping distance is still the same and the vehicle weight is still the same with exception of a few turbo parts.

HP doesnt realy have anything to do with the stopping power. Stock brakes are more then enough. Buuuut, for baller effect i guess he could go bigger and hope it stops better then already designed.

Damn

i bet emery’s, i mean his gf’s car would beat this no problem and set some more records all over the EVO community. but thats just me :gotme:

Agreed, the brakes are designed to stop that car of that weight in a specific amount of time from a speed in which the car is capable of achieving. HP really doesn’t have anything to do with it.

However I do see where you might think that though, God knows if I’m capable of reaching 140-160 real fast, I might want to stop faster with as little fade as possible. God bless tires.

It completely amazes me that someone can squeeze 873whp out of 2.3 liters.

INCREDIBLE.

It does matter. The faster a car can accelerate withing a fixed distance the less time it has to brake within that same fixed distance.

hahaha

thank you

one dimensional builds are so domestic.

there are an infinite number of reasons for and no good reasons against not investing in other areas of the car.

an F1 car weighs less tahn that evo and that EVO now has the ability to accelerate and reach speeds simialr to that of an F1 car… should F1 cars wear Evo brakes or should the Evo upgrade?

same goes for all other areas of the car.

why are we even discussing this? i know you all agree anyways…

I’ve got a few years of personal experience tracking an evo at this point (be it a 300hp one).

there is no need to upgrade the stock brembo calipers. remove heat shields, add ducts, fluid, and put some serious pad in there and you’ll be all set even with 1000whp as long as you’re on street tires.

now on race tires, you have so much more traction under braking that you can feed a LOT more heat into the brakes. for an enthusiast going to track days you’re still fine if you have some serious pads. Start getting into enduro races and things change - however at that point you’re in a stripped down caged car etc etc etc…

the argument of more power means more brakes really is not as valid as it sounds… what’s the difference in trap speed between my car and a evo with double the power 20mph? so you’re only shaving off a little extra speed for a lot more power.

brakes should be determined mostly by car weight and tire type/size. (so for F1, it’s the tires, not the power as much)

edit: also note that more serious race calipers are not designed for street use really and will require pretty frequent rebuilds and don’t offer dust boots to protect from dirt.

Look at drag brakes a lot of people run on domestic cars of similar weight…they are much smaller and stop just fine…