Driver School at Watkins Glen

Anybody have recent experience with this? I see a bunch of outfits offer day-long schools with on track training, but I have no experience with any of them. Like motorcycle track schools, I presume that some car schools are great and some. . . not so much.

Any recommendations?

I’ve gone there with the BMWCCA a few times for HPDEs. Very happy with their organization and the instructors I’ve had. They and NASA also offer Teen driving schools if that’s what you’re looking for.

http://www.gvc-bmwcca.org/

Thanks. Looks like a nice group, but they only offer two day schools and I can’t get away that long right now.

Anyone?

My grandfather is a instructor there I can ask him any specific details if you want.

Most schools will be 2 days (I actually think all of them might be). Go with the BMW club already posted or Trackmasters, both are awesome.

I’ve always gone with either the BMW or Porsche club events… I prefer the Porsche ones

I always thought that Trackmasters would be cool to do, it’s only 3 hours away and is a hell of a lot cheaper than flying out to Bondurant in AZ (although that would be awesome).

I would just need a track worthy car, the GP certainly is not. LOL

Trackmasters is much more expensive than a BMW or Porsche Club 2 day hosted event at the Glen, but if you can only do one day it might be your best bet since they dont have a one day option. I did a one day school with trackmasters before I knew about the other options.

This is a misconception that many people have. There is absolutely nothing wrong with tracking an automatic mid-size car. I know of a few S/C GPs that race with moderate success.

Not directed (totally) at you… Just sick and tired of people hiding behind the excuse “my car is not worthy”. Take any car, I mean ANY car that is not falling apart, spend $15 for super blue brake fluid, $100 on cheap track pads (or $200 for good track pads), and now you have a track worthy car. That is it.

Good to know. I have no reason not to do it then. Just figured schools like that are filled with cars that aren’t DD’s.

I’m running EBC Reds and PowerSlot rotors. I heard that yellows are better for the track though, is that true?

Huge +1. Just get out there and drive what you’ve got. Unless your parents put you in competitive carts at 5 years old it’s probably too late to start a real racing career so at this point it’s all about having fun.

How did you like the TM school? I think the cost is $280.

How much do the PCA/BMW 2 day schools run?

PCA/BMW 2 day events are typically $3xx-$5xx

I think Trackmasters is pretty close on pricing with the BMW club. I’ve heard mixed reviews on with Porsche group.

You’re forgetting the cost of tires.

Even at Dunnville I didn’t destroy a set of tires in a day.

O.K… $10 for used tires at Fox, which I have done for track days. So $40 total, really breaking the bank on that one.

Direzzas will last 18-24 hours straight WITHOUT rotating, with rotation well over 48 hours, or about 24+ lapping days. $600 for the “big” sizes so $25 each track day for tire consumption.

But I keep forgetting that excuses are free. :bloated:

I’ve seen a Taurus (the late body) and a Camry at the Glen with trackmasters. Any car can drive on the track. 99% of drivers are slower than their cars are capable of the first few times out anyway.

All very true. The pace car at the Glen is a Camry too, isn’t it?

soo, 600 for tires, 350 for track fees, 300 for brake upgrades, yeah it only costs $1,250 to get into it for the first time. That’s totally reasonable.

Sorry I am being negative, but it’s really intimidating to throw over a grand at something like this for the first time. The tires are the deal breaker. I am not going to run my street tires on the track and wreck them. So, that means i’ll probably need to get a spare set of wheels and tires too. It’s something I’ve really wanted to do for a long time now, but the cost is definitely not as cheap as you make it sound.