I need a good Amp for my subs: Thoughts

Ok I have a set(2) of AW1200Q Audiobahn 12" subs in a box that I’m looking to put in my Jeep. They have been sitting in my room forever so I figured I’d use them.

They are rated at 700rms each. They are dual 2 ohm voice coil. What is my best bet for buying a amp to power these? I am going to run a 2nd battery to the back of my jeep to help power the subs and future off road lights. I was also going to put a cap into the mix (because I have one so why not use it).

Should I run the coils in parallel at 2ohms and then buy a mono amp?

What amp do you think would power these well? I haven’t been in the audio game for some time so let me know what you guys think. Any help would be great! Thanks

I would say wire them in Series-Parallel to get the ohm load to a reasonable 2 ohms, then run a Mono amp that’s 2 ohm stable. Any decent amp will do; I personally like the Hifonics amps for the price that they are, and they will compliment the Audiobahn subs, or I’ve had good luck with Audiobahn amps as well.

I know people will chime in and say Kicker, RF, Soundstream, etc; but you’re not running a high-end sub (nothing personal), so a high-end amp IMO isn’t necessary.

Cool I’ll look into the Hifonics/audiobahn amps. What RMS do you think would be best? I know the subs aren’t anything special I’m not worried about being the best.

if I remember correctly, aw1200qs are dual 4 ohm. Paralleling the coils will get you into a 1 ohm load. whats your price range for a amp??? you have a PM

once again, paging Yunvme666, he should be able to hook you with something.

Why do you need a good amp for audiobahn subs?

I keeed! I keeed!

Renzo i’ll just give you my amp.

I should have defined what I meant by a good amp. I don’t really mean good quality, I mean well matched.

You may be correct that they are 4 ohm coils.

Really what I am looking for:

1. Best way to wire them up
    vs.
  2. Getting the best fitted amp for the way they are wired.
    vs.
  3. Not wanting to spend a lot.

Nappy: I think your amp may be underpowered for the subs.

I’d like to get something that allows them to work and sound ok. I want to install it and forget about it.

I had a 1000:1 JBL amp to these a long time ago and it kind of sounded bad. Just looking for something more matched to the subs allowing them to sound “ok”.

Don’t need any awards here.

Opinions on the best amp for the money for the subs I have is what I want. Thanks Guys!

price range??

what kind of box are the subs?

bandpass <200$

hifonics 1000d or something comparable off ebay or ikesound ftw

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-Hifonics-BXi-1206D-1200W-Brutus-Mono-Amp-BXi1206D_W0QQitemZ280214619272QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item280214619272

?

First one yes; power-acoustic - COMPLETE JUNK!!!

The Brutus amps are great for the price. If I had the $$ laying around, I’d grab a pair for the subs that I just have laying around doing nothing but collecting dust.

I do recommend getting a different enclosure though; Bandpass boxes typically sound like crap unless they are VERY specifically designed and matched PERFECTLY to the subs that are in them. If it’s just an off-the-shelf box that the subs were put in, junk it or sell it and spend $50 at HD for a sheet of MDF, tube of glue, and a box of drywall nails and spend a day designing and building one that will sound better.

X2, if you need a box built or want designs, hit me up. I have probably sold 200 pairs of the 1200q’s and older 1200x’s