I QUIT.

It could be worked out, but I don’t have the time or the money. I don’t blame Audi - I blame the previous owner of this particular car. I’m sure other Audi’s are great (my mom’s 1992 100S was awesome), but I just picked a bad apple, and now I have to deal with what the previous owner set me up with.

And for the record, no Toyotas for me.

nothing against you man… i feel bad for you!! just saying, german cars suck when not maintained… it’s never-ending.

your funny , my gs300 broke 3 times

“you’re”

My Lexus (IS250) had been pretty solid overall, only 1 “problem” thus far and a few TSB fixes. One of my housemates has an IS250 also, which has had zero problems. In contrast, another housemate has a M5 that has been a lot of trouble, despite being low mileage (40-something k when he got it), pretty new ('03), and religiously maintained. The last dude in the house has a Honda (well, Acura RSX) that has a few issues (3rd gear being the most major) and the housemate that moved out when the RSX guy moved in has a S2000 he bought brand-new last year that has has a LOT of issues w/ the top.

The funniest thing is the dude w/ the M5 also has an FD that’s still rotary and has probably been the most problem free car in the whole house over the last 2 years. I had to do a clutch and diff seals on my Z06 and he hasn’t had to do much. He tracks the shit out of it but has it maintained by the best rotard shop around pretty much every track day.

Cars break, it’s just a question of how bad and how much it’s going to cost to fix.

-TJ

LOL, Steve Thanks you.

salvage yard is paying 5-800 range for a4’s right now. no one was higher than 800. i called around trying to sell one last week w/ a bad tranny.

running problem free a4’s are fetching 4k tops.

drop the money, have the car gone over. dump some money into it, have a solid car. because if you sell it for 1k as it sits, what will you buy for same money to replace it? another piece of shit.

hmmmm…sounds familiar :smiley:

It might be taking a vacation in my driveway for a while then. I don’t have the money to fix a damn thing on the car right now. It leaks just about everything except fuel, the turbo is shot, and oil spews out by the quart when it’s on. I don’t know where it’s coming from, but it also dumped a ton of coolant right on the tranny the other day after I replaced the ICM.

60% of the time, they start every time! :greddy:

you put 18 miles on a car a year in a parking lot… i daily drive my cars hundreds of thousands of miles :greddy:

you can get blown b5’s that cheap?

That sucks to hear about the A4. My Sister went through the same Audi experience with her 5000 turbo a few years ago. A $4000 car needed $4500 in work to keep it running over a 2 year period. She dumped it and bought a Civic.

If you want something nice, reliable, and a bit different check out Infiniti G20s. They get great mileage, are SR20 powered, and have a great reliability record. Our current 2002 model has 210k on the original running gear and it still runs like new. You can find lots of them in the $3-8k range.

dude… why would you let your sister pay 4k for an audi 5000???

This was in 1994 so it was the equivalent of buying a used A4 today. Believe me I did my best to try and stop her before she plunked the $ down. :rofl:

I’ll second that! You can’t go wrong with a car that has a sr20 in it.

If you want cheap, and easy to fix, get an XJ. They have plenty of chicken-shit issues, but there isn’t a much better car for a poor college student. The parts are cheap, extremely plentiful, and they start and run even with a lot of problems.

My dad bought a used A4 with 80k on it, and put 100k more on the sucker. It was a 2.8 5spd, and it ran like a champ, always started and drove quite well. It was wrecked at some point before he bought it, and he got rear-ended once by a huge buick. The trunk lid never lined up perfect after that, but the car took a beating and kept going.

My dad was guilty of not maintaining that car properly, I think he did a wheel bearing or two and the control arms that break on all A4s, but never once did he do any of the recommended or scheduled maintenance.

You got stuck with a shitty one, sorry to hear it man. Grands are nice, but XJs are simpler, cheaper, and easier to fix, that’s what I’d go with if I were in your shoes.

For the record, it’s not worth it to just get rid of the car, so I guess it’s just going to get fixed eventually.

I think it may just be the oil cooler seal, luckily. So that’s what I’m going to go with and replace it, and if it’s not the problem, It’s back to square one.

Sorry to hear about your troubles, man. Hope the fixes are the easy ones.

I do nothing to stop the people who think Euro or German, or even narrowing it down to Audi, are crap.
That means less people buy them, and mine (which has never had a problem) is more unique than the 30 Lexi/Lexus’ I pass a day.
Audis suck. They always break. Believe 'dat.

Not.