I QUIT.

It’s true with mine, one thing after another - literally. Would definitely get another one if I had the money to fix it the right way when it broke. I think it’s funny when I talk to my friend who is the Audi tech about my car, and when something breaks, his answer is always “Yep, that’s a common problem” or “Yeah those are known for going.” Is there anything on this car that not a “common problem?” Like I said, I would definitely buy another, but I’ve done my research and know what to look for next time around.

It is now on the road again, no turbo, but all the other little things buttoned up.

are we talking xj, as in jaguar xj? i hope not because i wouldn’t wish a jag on my worst enemy. you have ecu’s for ecu’s. control modules for tail lights, and flat out shit electrical. couple that w/ shitty hydralic system-- you are screwed.

i dont mind an abundance of relays-- as i understand older cars pre-can systems needed to be able to switch stuff on and off. 928 porsche is the king of this. yet the brits couldnt wire a carb’d 4 banger mg or triumph right–dont think they will fare any better w/ a jag. lucas ftl.

only thing jag was ever good for was ifs/irs for street rods.

I’m assuming by XJ, he means Jeep Cherokee. I would suggest otherwise for a DD, but he is somewhat correct in the fact they are cheap & easy to fix. Unfortunately they ride like a cheap/shitty vehicle. I have a Grand & it ain’t much better. Unfortunately none of them are worth a shit when you are trying to get rid of them. I wish I had my TL back.

And yes Jaguars suck. I work on British manufactured equipment daily & it is junk. Lucas Electronics FTL.

What I would do to have my WJ back. I miss that thing so much. :crying: I thought the ride on mine was pretty good. It was easy to work on (for the most part… a breeze compared to this Audi), parts weren’t too bad, nice interior, nice ride, nice power (4.7L FTW - except for the city gas mileage), AWD, ugh.

that audi is the easiest audi to work on? at least the motor IMO… we can leave that to the guys who do it for a living, but I feel the 1.8 is the ‘easiest’ as far as parts avalibility, maintenance item replacement, and under hood room. I guess I never really worked on many of them, but the 1.8, i felt, was an easy motor to deal with.

you shouldnt drive that car with a blown turbo!

audi ownership is not for the weak at heart :rofl:

My cousin found this out when he blew out the clutch driving his TT home from the lady he bought it from.

I think I remember the dealer charging $2600 to do the job? Does that sound about right from a dealer?

TT is a transverse mounted engine and that ish is stuffed in there real tight. Not a fun car to work on in my eyes, but I’m not a transverse fan in the first place.
The longitudinal 1.8t is a breeze to work on in my opinion. The turbo is “right there” and the whole hot side can be replaced very quickly. More room to work than most.
And for major repairs, once you’ve gotten a car to “service position” with the front end off, it’s really an easy job to do most anything including pulling the block. The first time can be fun, but after you’ve pulled the front off once, it’s very easy to do again. Just have to learn the “tricks”.

yeah… I like the transverse motor as it was the same setup as my 1.8t volkswagen. If your buddies TT was the AWD or 225 version… then sure, it would add to the complexity of the job.

I am not really stoked on doing any maintenance or future upgrades on my 2.7 :slight_smile:

It builds character! Thankfully, my car has been mostly problem free. Anything that has gone wrong I really can’t blame on Audi considering I beat the heck out of the car. Gotta pay to play.

I commend your rational assessment. I hope your luck improves.

I might not be messing with it much longer. If my BMW sells, I might just pick up a cheap-o beater to get me around for now, until I can afford to A. Pick a better Audi, and B. maintain it properly and fix it right away when something breaks.

Tell me that when you have to pull your motor when you swap rods mr. longitudal favorite. I swapped my transverse motor and the front end comes apart easier then an Audi, less crap to take off. I have done a timing belt on a 1.8T AEB motor, that was easy because you have to remove the whole front end to get to the timing belt crap :stuck_out_tongue: Both are ‘enjoyable’ in their own right.

I have to work on Audi’s all the time, Where I work we’ve been seeing 1.8T’s coming in with plugged oil strainers, exhaust cam gear slip causing bent exhaust valves. A 1.8T is a great motor if it’s maintained correctly, most I’ve seen haven’t been.

Usually, you see this on Audi’s correct, not VW’s?

this is correct. fact is a single turbo 1.8t in either chassis, no matter the orientation, will have more room than the twin turbos, vr’s and v6’s. 1.8t parts are also infinitely cheaper and easier to get, especially when you start to consider the 12v/24v change over. I would say it is true of both performance and oem parts.

There are some great online place to buy parts at a more reasonably price than many dealers.

i have a good trick for doing 1.8t pickups. grab a set of crossmember/engine mounts. cut the 3rd ear off that connects to the sub frame, post jack the engine, drop subframe, swap in your new cut down mount that keeps the 2 bolts to the frame rail-- as this will hold the engine.

now you dont have to dick around w/ the sub frame in your way as you pull the pan.

Well, The car is back in business. Got a new oil cooler, some new hoses, a coolant valve/seal, rear brakes, and a turbo cartridge that is going in tomorrow.

No more blinkers on steep hills, leaks, or smoke! (at least for a week or two.)

haha, hopefully that fixes it up man.

Damn. Hopefully you have better luck this time around.

I don’t think you’ll see me in the Audi much more after my E23 gets on the street… :blue: