iphone 5 wifi hotspot without paying?

Its on AT&T, anyone know how to use for wifi without paying the stupid fee AT&T charges? Do i have to jailbreak it? Im pretty clueless.

If you set it up to connect to your WIFI network it will be free. No way you are going to go off of their 3G and create a hotspot and not pay for it.

more detail on what you are trying to accomplish.

I want to connect my kids kindle to the internet using my iphone. need to ‘broadcast’ the wifi signal from my phone. you can do it if you pay the $30 dollar monthly fee to AT&T, but im too cheap for that.

I know it was possible to jailbreak the older iphones to accomplish this. But thats pretty much the extent of my knowledge.

settings --> General —>Cellular—>Set up Personal Hotspot…

This will run on your 3G though. So you will pay rated data charges on it. Or use up data left on currently allowed monthly total.

:shifty then i have to pay

Yeah sorry. You can hotspot it but it is going to use 3G data. There is no way to do it unless you are already hooked up to your own WIFI. In that case might as well hook the Nook right to the Wifi network.

Even with a jailbreak you are not going to be able to use the AT&T Network for free.

Jailbreak it. Other than that, I don’t follow the Apple scene enough to know what apps are out there. From time to time, someone will release an app that is able to tether without jailbreaking – but it gets taken off the app market very quickly.

Exactly. Regardless of whether you jailbreak, use an app, or use the built in functionality – it’s going to use your data.

Depending on your plan, you will have to pay additional charges to tether. I know on Verizon, the new shared plans will allow you to use tethering free of charge (whilst still pulling from your data allowance)… but this only applies to certain plans.

if you go to the new ATT plan, you can tether for “free.” otherwise, it will be $50 for your data plan which includes 5 gb of data instead of the 3 gb for $30, or 2gb for $25.

i know it will be using my data, that is fine. i just want it to work…

I jail broke mine for that reason. Even paid for the MyWi app which was $10 or $20 but since I have unlimited data, and it’s a one time fee vs. a monthly fee like AT&T offering.

Might not be for the techy challenged people but this is the place I always check for my jailbreak availability