is there legally a time limit on a pick up of a car sold online??

sooo, I sold the crx I bought for a third time on 09/09/12
got my $500 deposit through ebay and another $7k through a wire like a day later… guy said he was gonna arrange pick up within 3 days… its been a month and i havent heard from the dude and he hasnt picked up the car lol…

I dont really wanna fuck the dude (well i do, but i wont bc im not a scumbag lol) but is there a law or something that after a certain amount of time without communication or the guy coming to get the car he forfeits his money and i can resell the car??

Shit is cray

Write him back you are going to start to charge a storage fee of some stupid amount. Then when the money he gave you equals those charges, resell the car. Give him time and let him know what is going on though.

did you specify in the ebay ad when it would need to be picked up? If not you probably wont have a case against him.

Not 100% sure if you can do this, but IF you do, make sure you send it registered mail so you have record of him getting the notice. Maybe even have a lawyer draft something up

on the ebay ad it said must be picked up within 7 days.

It’s pretty simple. Try to get a hold of the guy before you do anything. Just because you typed something in an eBay ad doesn’t mean shit. Do some searching online/talk to a lawyer if you can’t get ahold of him. Property can become abandoned but I have no clue after how long

This it’s called a Garagemans lien. I’d talk to a lawyer though so you go about it properly. There’s a bunch of documentation that’s needed.

you have the address to the dude… ship it for like $250-500 for him! lol put a big bow on the hood too. haha

for realy, it would be in is position at that point. :slight_smile:

its probably not that easy, I would listen to those guys instead.

If the guy sent the whole amount and has not contacted you after… He is probably in jail or something happened. I highly doubt he is going to get back to you…

/\ Cptn. Optimismat your service!

lol

LOL, yeah. common sense thinking taking over. You dont send someone $7K and then not care afterwords. Something would have to go terribly wrong, or right (Lottery Winner?) for me to stop caring about $7000…

So it could be a good thing, I just doubt it. I would still follow up even if I won the lottery, but I am cheap.

Definitely try to contact the guy who “bought” it. If you can’t get him by phone or email, send a certified letter (keep the receipt) to him explaining that he needs to pick up the vehicle or you will re-sell. Not exactly sure how the garagemens lien thing will work for you in this case (title is still in old owners name?) but, the certified letter will cover your ass in case he comes after you later on.

Yeah I was thinking that too. The Garagemans lien usually involves a car that’s already titled to the person who purchased it. I think the back of a NY title says you have something like 30 days to title in your own name once it’s purchased. But I’m not sure how that works out of state and honestly I’ve never seen it enforced in NY either. But it’s another route to talk over with a lawyer. Or you can just call it in as an abandoned vehicle then the cops will take it and auction it off lol.