Sold a car and they never picked it up???

Well we sold my fiances cavalier a couple days ago for $1100.The guy gave me a $500 deposit and said he would be back to get it the next morning…and…this is day 3 and he never came back??? I have no phone number for him and a receipt that he signed saying that i accepted $500 non-refundable as a down deposit for my 1996 cavalier in as-is condition. so…what do i do now and how long should i or how long do i have to wait before i can sell it again?thanx

I would try to sell it right now. He should have contacted you is if they still wanted the car. And if you get anything less than the $1100, deduct that from his non-refundable deposit.

put it back up for sale, fuck em.

Hmmm… This is a legal question that I wouldn’t entrust to NYspeed.

+1

Your receipt doesn’t say anything about how long that $500 deposit will hold the car for does it? If not, A, it’s a lesson for next time, and B, almost 1/2 the price of the car is going to go a long way toward convincing a judge that the buyer was serious if you end up in small claims court.

I’d give the guy at least a week.

id say 5 days time then F it. He didnt leave any information? BUt wait you have his name cant you look him up in the yellow pages(or myspace)??

You dont have his adress, name or number?

How stupid would you be to give someone $500 and leave? Id say he probably wants it, but something aparently happened… Give him a week, try to find him, if you know his name, try looking it up…

Dont just screw the guy

give him some time

Wait awhile, try to find some contact info if he at least gave you his name. If nothing happens after a week or two try relisting it.

This happened to my father. Sold his fairmont, took a $300 down payment. People didnt show up for 3 weeks. We did some looking into it, and IIRC you have to hold it for 30 days before you can resell it. I could be wrong though.

Unless you’re in bind to get it off your property, I’d give him time. He obviously gave you the deposit as a means to hold it for him, so it would be lame to sell it to someone else. If a month goes by or something, thats different, but 3 days is way too soon.

well my delema is because it is unregistered if it is not out by the 28th because i already have 2 unreg. on my property i will be fined $350. I tried to contact him but all i know is his first name and i cant read his sig

call the DMV, they will tell you exactly how long you have to wait before re-sale is allowed legally. i also think it is 30days.

if you will be fined, get it off your property and put it somewhere else. that or put it in the garage and lose that space for a few weeks until you can pan this out.

If the dude is smaller than you:

1. Resell the car, stating he forgot about it, its his loss

If the dude is bigger than you:

1. Keep the car until his return or
  2. Find a friend bigger than him to back you up :slight_smile:

I had a similar situation, a guy bought my 4wheeler for $3100. He gave me $3150 cash and said he would be back the next day and to put it in the garage and ready for transport (extra 50 for me loading it for him). Next day came and went he never showed, within a week no contact, etc. 3 weeks went by and still nothing, I was ready to sell it to someone else (make more $$$) when his friend showed up one day with a truck and said “John bought your 4wheeler, and forgot where you lived, blah blah blah” and he took it away. To this day I never heard back from the buyer, so who knows if he actually got it or not :shrug:

^ Ha… I can pretty much guarantee that if you didn’t hear from the buyer the guy that picked it up was legit. You could have been seriously screwed there if he wasn’t.

Wait till it needs to be of the property and then put it up for re sale,cause ever if it sells and he comes back, in court you can say you needed to resell in order to avoid fine and you should be fine.

I know for a fact in Amherst that a car can be unregistered on a property if it is in the process of being sold. I dont remember the actual legal speak of it, but to avoid getting fines we would just go buy a “For Sale” sign and put it on whatever side of the car faces the road. Thus its “Pending Sale”, i got away with this for over a month at my house, and boardjnky4 used it for longer than that.

seriously i would wait a little bit dont fuck the guy over like that. kharma will always bite u in the ass

yea give the guy some time. Could have saved yourself some trouble and sold me the car that day I called ya :stuck_out_tongue: Good Luck