Issues part3.. YAYY!!!

at this point, i wish i did have a honda motor in this thing. There is always a lot of rumors “VW breaks down a lot, un reliable blah blah” but ive never had any issues until now. As long as i drive it normal, i wont notice. However now that i know theres an issue, it bothers me. At least its getting nice out so working on it shouldnt be an issue.

That really sounds like a problem with a moisture or a coil. Troubleshooting problems like this sucks :headbang

well im going to buy (2) O2 Sensors, but i refuse to pay 250 for both so im trying to find a deal somewheres…i guess i could pick up a coil, its only 60 bucks. Just to rule that out… Hate throwing parts at a car

bosch sells “universal” O2 sensors and they are MUCH cheaper and come with good diagrams, all you have to do is cut your plug off and crimp it onto the new one, IIRC they are under $100ea.

buddy at napa hooked me up with both o2 sensors with oem harnesses and everything. plug and play for 100 even (for both!). Going to install them tmrw.

hahah, i think the problems just follow you from whatever old car you have

:thumb Keep us posted

1- who are you?
2- ive never had issues with a car like this, not even my DSM and i was always wrenching on that thing…

DJ…dumbass

OH SHIT SON! haha, for a 2nd there im like uhh whos this clown acting like he knows me. How’ve you been??? Havnt talked to you in forever. Last i knew you bought a house

So if the car doesn’t tell you how to fix it you can’t fix it.

Anyways, is it exactly 5500 RPM every time and is it always exactly the same issue? Does it change when the car is hot or cold? If your going to check for a clogged cat just unbolt the whole exhaust system as a whole and give it a quick rev, no need to drop it out of the car or anything just give it a gap. Its not going to be 02 sensor, your car will run forever with a shit 02, it just will never go into “closed loop” and all that good stuff. It does sound a lot like a clogged cat but with the very sudden change that sounds like something software rather than hardware. I’m assuming it wont go above 5.5K in any gear and that doesn’t make a difference? I don’t know your exact model or year but I’m assuming it only has 1 02 sensor and no down stream unit?

If it is indeed something to do with a misfire, mechanical misfires rather than electrical will show them selves more and more at higher RPMs and if it is ignition, the secondary side of the system will show higher RPM misfires more readily while the primary side will show them at idle speeds. If I remember all of that correctly, haven’t had to call up that information in a while now.

Chances are nothing I wrote here wll help you any, but I tried. If worst comes to worst just go to the dealership and approve 1 hour of diag. For CELs at Benz we charge one hour, 105 bucks for diag and go from there. Your under no obligation at all to actually buy anything from them and you will get someone that (hopefully) knows what they are doing looking at it. The 80 bucks to have a pro look at it will save you TONS in the long run if your current strategy is just to keep throwing money at the issue.

Thanks for the info, as for taking it to a dealer so a “PRO” can look at it, id never take my car to a dealer. I have people i know who work at dealers, and have had them look at the car (on the previous issue), and some were even stumped on that issue. I know replaceing the o2s wont help, but they need to be replaced anyhow(CEL). So id rather have a car with no CEL and know its 100% in that aspect. Plus my inspection is out of date due to the O2’s being bad so might as well get it inspected, only went out of date in oct of 07 lol. So tonight ill replace the o2s and go from there…

No it doesnt do it exactly at 5.5krpms, it is in the 5,000’s tho. It happens in any gear includeing neutral and at any speed. I was told maybe the plugs i put in werent Gapped Correctly??? Could this cause this?

It’s easy enough to pull plugs 1 and 4 on that car, I would check and maybe you’ll get lucky. I’ve had one of my guys put in a poorly gapped spark plug(it was nearly completely closed) and it kept throwing misfire codes, if it was a spark plug(in particular on an OBDII VW) I think it would throw a code in a hurry if a plug wasn’t firing correctly. Has the coil been replaced ever? Those are very common to go? By any chance do you run a K&N filter? Could the oil from the filter f’ed up the MAF? Have you checked all those shitty little braided vacuum lines?

while ive got the car up in the air replaceing the o2s, im going to pull plugs 1 and 4 like you said and check the gap. I didnt touch them at all, so w.e it was out of the box is how they went in. I do run a ghetto cone filter, but no oil on it. Ive gone over the vac lines, but i can check again. On the list is replace all vac lines/grounds under the hood just because. I need to find a wire puller, ive effed up 1 to many wires pulling them out by the wire itself. No the coil hasnt been replaced ever (that i know of), so i may be buying one of those just to be safe as well, i have inspected it and its not cracked in any shape or form.

replaced o2’s
cleaned maf and intake tube
unplugged/unbolted o2 before cat and started car, still wouldnt redline therefore its not a clogged cat
…runs smoother, however it still wont redline. I can get it to go to 6k but it sounds like ass after 5.5krpms…

hmm whats next on the list!

it sounds like you should get rid of this car asap :lol

and buy a honda like everyone else? nah ill pass :slight_smile:

p.s. saw the car today, sounds sick

no need to buy a honda lol, another VW or something to get you away from that money pit/troublemaker

where’d you see me??

passed you in front of memory gardens, i was in the work van (time warner). Saw it coming, didnt know it was you until you passed and i saw 4drs and heard it.

yah ive thought about picking up a new car. About a month or so ago i was looking into an R32, audi TT and even checked out the new civic si coupe(but couldnt do it to myself lol) dont know what i want. Miss having a quick car tho, thats for sure.

a.j.

give me a shout this weekend, i’d be happy to take a look at it for you.