VW PASSAT help sailor sonny whitey?

need some ideas… i got a check engine light…on the vw…

in the morning when you start it up it will studder
and act like it would be a vaccume leak…

when the light clicks on its says emissions check on teh dash something like that…

reset the light… and came back on…

whats some easy way to check for a possible vacume leak?

or could this be a cold start problem???

isnt there some type of sensor that needs changed to a green colored one??

mike at emage reset the light but forgot to tell me what the code was smack…

mike thinks it vaccume related?

i love this car ride awsome but i hate working on it

what year? If it came up as an emissions code it could perhaps be an O2 sensor. How many miles on it?

01 1.8t 115k

i dont think its an 02 sensor? would an o2 sensor cause it to stutter when its first started up… i mean it stutters and bucks

not sure if it would make it that bad. I mean if it read that the exhaust was way too rich or lean it might try to dump fuel or lean the mixture. Dirty MAF possibly too? Without the codes it’s kinda hard to say. If you need it scanned I’m in Brentwood and finally got the cable and software to at least see what it says and clear it.

I don’t think a coolant temp sensor (the green sensor you mentioned in the first post) would cause it to buck on cold start.

spangs… i’m going to guess that if its’ a common studder and never runs right, it’s a coilpack… buy one and let the car idle studder, pull them one at a time and the one you pull out that doesn’t kill the car or make it worse, is the bad coil. I have some in my glovebox (lol, what a shame) so you can always borrow one.

if it’s truly a vac leak, check right off the valve cover… they are known to suck.

get some ether or something, spray around the rubber hoses and listen for engine fluctuation… that’ll be the leak… i’m sure you know that. also, under the intake mani is totally an issue!!! mine was shot a few months back

get it scanned if it drives… they can see the manifold pressue… should be about negative 22 to negative 18… or 18-22 hg/in

so… does it ever clear up? does it sound like it’s on 3 cylinders?

i’d bet coils… vac leak will typically subside if you rev it up… does it rev up choppy or does it rev up solid?

it prob is coils…i replaced two and like a dumbass didnt replace them all…

its seem choppy…and i was having the same issue and then the coild fiannly went and ran reall really bad replaced and worked so it might be one of the other two going bad…

i will see tonight…

vag com :wackit:

I never thought I’d see all of the 3 Amigos of Queer mentioned in one thread title…

its throwing a lean code…

so i dont think a coil pack would throw a lean code correct? it would throw a misfire?

sometimes when the O2 sensor goes bad it throws a lean code

it woudl throw a misfire for sure… does it have multiple codes? if not, that’s the first time on a vw that i’ve seen that! can you read multiples? i can scan it for you if you cant spangs…

front O2 would cause the car to suck at idle on startup…

humm…

i hate vw…i cant get any to look at them…healy’s like shit it could anything…jeffs like its a vw start at the front bumper and work your way back ha!

ugh!

nope only one code lean…

its sucks at idel…but seems to do allright once it running and thinking its goes into loop…

healy keeps saying its vaccume but i think it would have an issue all the time if its vaccume…

i think jeff auto tap read mulitple but it only throws lean…

i can check to see if the 02 are reading with the scanner and that would rule out the 02 or not

where you living at sonny? that i could dirve out and meet you and see if you know whats up

spangs… bring that shit to snewton… nothing but german guys there :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: lol

i’m in the north… but we can hookup.

listen man… if it gets ‘better’ than its’ just closed loop front O2 crisis… i’d get a new wideband front o2 sensor and try it out… sucks because they are pricey new.

vaccum would be an issue the whole time, but during revs would save it’s face… however after dropping back to idle it’ll die out… so chances are if it’s just cold startup when it’s really bad, that would lead me to the o2 sensor… sucks man!

see if the code says b1s1 or b1s2… for bank one sensor one or two

one - front
two - rear

it will say emissions work shop?

read some other forums and it says possible bad maf? or maf sensor?

maf is a lean code.

unplug the maf sensor and see if the idle cleans up.

typically when they go bad it’s more gas milage and whatnot, not really a bad studder… but could be… unplug it and see!

anyone gonna be around during the day tomaroww im off…and i need to get this lighyt out it need inspected

it has been getting shitty gs miliage my wife did notice fuck i hate VW

bad O2 sensor would hurt the gas mileage too… Just checked Advance and they are 75 retail.

humm im gonna check it on auto tap and see if they are working that should let me know if the 02 sensor is bad