Car wont start..

Ok well heres some backround, ive never had any issues with the car besides a year ago i replaced the starter. So all was good up until a week ago, was driving perfect then all of the sudden it just died. Have a couple buddies look at it, come to the conclusion of a tuneup was needed. So i replace the rotor,cap,plugs,wires,fuel filter and did an oil change for the hell of it. Car started right up! Ran so good, just like before no issues. So a week passes, then friday night im pulling into Kohls parking lot and my car just shuts off (same thing happened before, identical!!). So my buddies come out to help me, hook up vagcom and there is like 20codes. He clears them and restarts the car and only one comes back. “CTS High Voltage” (im sure there is #s but i didnt get any). So we unplug both coolant temp sensors(CTS),clear code and start again. The code comes right back. So with them unplugged and still getting high voltage, im guessing its bad wiring?? If anyone has some insight please let me know.

EDIT: Yes car has spark,fuel etc. Everything checks out 100%

maybe exposed wiring that got wet in the weather weve been having

oh a.j. did you check the ground between the engine/ chassis?

yah i checked the ground under the battery (the main ground) and it looks good. I havnt pulled it/cleaned it etc. Im going to do that tonight after work (working now). I am not good with wiring one bit, stereos/cable related/thermostats in houses and im good. When it comes to ECU’s/Wiring/Sensor related i am 100% lost… I may snag that tool from you pete. Id like to try and find out where these sensor wiring runs too…instead of tearing everything apart to follow them.

EDIT: The 1st time it died it was raining, 2nd time it died was the day of the snow storm. So hopefully its something obvious, today is nice out so im hopeing it dries out a little? It is not the coil by the way.

yeah, check it good, they can actually split, and be barely hanging on, like just enough to be intermittent. what time do you get out of work? i’d be more than happy to give you a hand.

call me when you get this and lemme know.

i get out at 630pm, ill be home at 630 on the dot. Couldnt get the car in the garage, actually effed up my arm pretty bad trying to get it in the garage (i wrapped a rope around my arm, and pulled while 3 friends pushed…well they slipped on ice at the bottom of the driveway and i got yanked by 3,000lbs… GREAT IDEA…) I do have electricity out there now, so ill have lights.

EDIT: Left my charger in the vw, therefore my phone is dead. Im going to be calling you from my work phone, just to give you a heads up on the # starting with 858

Yea I would say check the ground as well. I had the exact same problem in my 01 Jetta and threw a shit load of codes. Even if it looks ok doesn’t mean it’s not. Mine was corroded pretty bad and I ended up replacing it. Good luck dude!

okay boss, i’ll wait for your call.

grounds can get funny not just from corrosion in general, but from the engine rocking, and weakening them too.

i hope this is the issue, if it is i will be buying a ground upgrade kit of some sort, or make my own.

make your own. buy the ring terminals, and cable, or advance sells pre- cut length cabling, as well as “cut your open” stuff. think they have it in 2 ga.

now that i think of it, the 1st time this happened danny was probeing around the relay box saying something about no continuity? then the next day is when the car started… I dont know electrical terms like i said, so maybe this is a grounding issue? But wouldnt everything else screw up as well???

i had to do that with my car, i used chains though, what a workout, but i only had my gf with me and she just stood there and looked like an idiot

update tonight: I cleaned the grounds under the battery, also found a broken ground that goes from the hood to the body and fixed that. Only thing i noticed is now when i let off the key from cranking, it sputters for a 2nd… wtf

how do i test for bad grounds? ive got a volt meter

update for tonight… noticed a loose ground going from the valve cover to behind the coil. Wiggled it, car started…however i took it off and the car STAYED running for a minute or so, then died and wouldnt restart. So i clean up the ground, car started up again this time for about 30secs then died…This time i tried to rev it and it bogged down and died instantly. Wouldnt restart… I was told how to test for grounds, i didnt find anything crazy from what i know anyhow… So now it wont start again, kind of quit for a little cause im pissed.

do you have a M.A.F ?..if so check it

criscon3 you fix that bitch?

its not my M.A.F.

tdi - nope, working on it…im stumped…

idk bro im fresh outta ideas…are you injectors plugged up

nope as it says above, car has perfect fuel,spark etc.

update from about 5min ago: car started again, but the 2nd i give it gas it dies out or if i let it idle for more than 30sec. If i keep it steady at 6krpms it stays running for a little bit, but the 2nd it drops down in rpms it dies. I dont know what i wiggled, i cleaned the grounds and thats it. So maybe still bad grounds? I dont know, i checked the grounds on OHMS and nothing seemed out of the ordinary… ahhh!!

ttt