IT People: I need interview help!

I have an interview for this position tomorrow.

This position serves as a Systems Administrator in the Database Group.

Technical implementer for various Applications and Computing projects. Testing, deployment, installation and implementation of new and existing software. Perform complex diagnostics, repair, and upgrade functions as directed. Analyze operations and systems and see that software is configured and utilized for optimal support of computing needs.

Develop, alter and repair scripts and applications using batch files, and other programming and scripting languages as needed. Troubleshoot operating system, network connectivity, and end-user problems.

• Experience with key desktop management tools such as Windows Installer, Active Directory, and other tools relevant to enterprise systems management.
  • Demonstrated experience with installation of PC workstations, troubleshooting techniques, and supporting user applications.
  • Knowledge of systems administration and software installation details of microcomputer desktop and server operating systems such as Windows 2000/XP.
  • Demonstrated experience with operating system internals, Internet communication protocols and system utilities.
  • Preferred strong organizational, communication, facilitation and problem-solving skills.
  • Knowledge of Oracle 10g, DB2/UDB and SQL-Server Database systems is desired.
  • Experience with SQL is a plus.

Primary Duties:

Database Management

Reporting tools & extracts

Interfaces Hardware and Software

Installs & Updates

Performance tuning

Disaster Recovery

Capacity Planning

Education:

B.S. or A.A.S.

I was wondering if anybody could give me some tips or explain what my primary duties would be on a day to day basis.

i said:i know my shit.

thats what i said and i got a 20k raise

but ill post something that might help you later on

noted.

Help me Daddie!!!

im waiting for something to finish so i can type some right now… ill be here all night working :frowning: so if you need any more help let me know.

use what they have in the posting when you describe your abilities. give EXAMPLES of how you did it. critique how you did it, explain that "because of bal bla bla it was a streamlined process and efficient/ boosted profitablity.

also, they might test you right out of the gate with problems… i know that m$ will show programmers broken code and say “fix it”… im not sure if someone local in buffalo cares that much…

also is this a technical interview? do you know your interviewers? if so RESEARCH THEM NOW. know who what where and why they work at the company. you are a little behind the game cus its tomorrow, but you need to be able to relate to the interviewer… ie: i fyou talking to HR, your not going to speak on a ligh levle, so your going to have to be able to bring complex processes down to her/his level. also in relation to knowing the interviewer - transition your thoughts to what they do and ask them questions. have TONS of questions ready for them… if the question was answered in the interview - reiterate in the end of the interview that the question that you had about sex in the workplace was answered and you understand " bla bla bla "

you need to be confident - but not cocky…

is this your first interview for a “real” job?

I probably should have posted this earlier in the thread, but I am staying in the same company for this job. I will know the one interviewer slightly while I do not know the other manager at all. I believe they will be cross drilling me.

I have worked in this company for about two years in IT. I started as a temp and worked the help desk position. I now have a position in Operations.

Ahh, systems admin.

Guess what, you’re the jack of all trades…

you’ll be doing everything from “my mouse don’t work”

to “Why does the router for the T not work”

to “2 drives just failed on the SAN”

to “Can the 212 area code be reached from this extension if we route it through trunk 5”

to “I spilled coffee on my blackberry, can you get me another?”

to “my hard drive just crashed, I know you told me to save everything important on the network drive, but i didn’t. If you can’t get me those files it’s your fault”

to “Why did the tape backup fail last night”

to “why is Active directory fucking not pushing out the GP”

to “Who the fuck pushed the updates from WSUS to the servers in the middle of the week?”

to “why does it burn when I pee…”

good luck

The desktop support people probably do more of that stuff posted above but I will probably get the burning when I pee questions often.

time management skills

have your stregnths ready and some GOOD weaknesses ready

Actually, I hope that the normal workload I get is kind of what Howie mentioned. I do a lot of that kind of troubleshooting now and in the past. I have a feeling this might involve more server work which I know nothing about.

Yea, that weakness question is a killer. So hard to pull off.

Condoms are never 100%, some people need to learn the hard way.

I got it from a toilet seat…I swear! :frowning:

not really

just say something like…
about 4 months ago i realized that i have been taking on too many tasks. I was taking on too much responsibility. Some of my work product was suffering. When i noticed that, i began delegating tasks to other members in my team, which freed up myself for more complex projects. I later followed up with my team members to be sure that the projects i delegated were dont right…
kind of like that
just be sure to say “your working on the problem and your moving to fix it.”

and if you get it your buying me lunch

Your choice: KFC snackers or Jr. Bacon Cheesburgers? On a budget mang!

lol

dolla nuggets from wendys 4tw…

and im still at work :frowning:

Me too…that’s why I want this new position. I would not be making more than what I am now but I would get a first shift job finally instead of 3-11pm shift.

Let me tell you something.

Fixed hours > *