IT people what certs do you hold?

you never need a certification to figure out how to complete any given task. at the same time having one doesn’t really mean that you can open XYZ software and do any needed task… what is does do best is what I’ve been advocating.

people without degrees who make large sums tend to cap out and burn out… they’re tools with very desirable uses.

The degree gets your resume past HR and onto the desk of the technical person who will interview you. Your certs get you the phone call from that technical person to setup an interview. Your real world experience and competence displayed during the interview get you the job.

My point… that chain can get broken if you’re missing any piece of the job puzzle.

ah yes. Well, I think with networking services there is another thing that must come into play. You need to know about networks, in order to configure network appliances.

You see, with a server like, oh say, apache, you need only to know basic networking knowledge and basic OS knowledge in order to configure a web server. So basically, if you were to get certified in it you would just be certified to know how to configure an apache server.

However, if you want to get certified in cisco routers, well in order to know how to configure a router, you will need to know exactly how the network is working. Configuring these types of appliances requires WAY more knowledge than your basic server application.

BUT, if you have taken(and taken seriously) intro to networking concepts, and another more in-depth networking class in college, then you would already have the solid foundation, and would simply need to learn how to configure the router. :wink:

So yes, in this case, GOOD certifications can replace and enhance the classroom knowledge. But in most cases, both would be ideal

Does my LAN cert count?

from you comments I guess you really don’t have an understanding of the cisco certs…They are extremely in depth in networking(Theory, Protocols, open standards) …Most college courses on networking are based off cisco curriculum’s.

well see, here is the thing. One of my co-workers is a phenomenal Red Hat Admin. Really knows the ins and outs of configuring the operating system. Any right now, with open source taking off, he will never be out of work.

However, he knowledge of the “behind the scenes” mechanics will always be limited.

I can guarantee that if he went back to school and got a CS degree, his knowledge would just skyrocket. It would give him the tools he really needs to be great. I can say that for quite a few people that I work with. I just hope that 10 years down the road, I will have the knowledge they have now.

yeah, I think I do understand that for the most part. In the case of cisco certs, it is basically like going back to school.

Just saying though, that if you took a few networking courses while in school, those certs would be a breeze. I am not really a network guy though. I tend to huddle in the corner with Operating Systems.

:lol:

Network+ would be a breeze with some college course work…

Not the Cisco certs…

Funny im not a networking guy either…

Anyways this took a serious turn towards OT…

Like I said I wanted to know if anyone had anything interesting…

I know Locutus has his CISSP cough I will need an endorsement

Network + is a breeze with just basic knowledge… lol

Meh. Certs aren’t my bag.

A Degree + Personal networking does much better.

Net+ was a pain in the ass… it was easy, but there is a lot of random crap that you’ll never need to know except for on this test.

Some employers (NOT ALL) like to see certs. In my opinion and I’m sure others will agree, experience is a key component in the IT field. My girlfriends brother-in-law works as an IT guy for a company. He has no computer related degree and no certs, only self taught experience.

I’m really trying to get more and more experience with actual servers/programs and whatnot. I feel I don’t fully grasp things unless they are hands on.

maybe you just mad smart yo? :slight_smile:

I will be back in DC in a few weeks btw

yeah, this can go back and fourth a lot, basically, I could rebut that you don’t know exactly what the curriculum is for the college courses. But, I don’t really care to, and I really do not know what the cisco certs are all about so w/e. I will say that I do believe Cisco certs are valuable though.

In the nature of staying on topic. I do plan on getting Red Hat Certified Technician and Red Hat Certified Engineer. Technician soon, Engineer in the future.

Post up on how the Redhat one goes…I put that those on my list of ones to get since I get paid to get them.

For work or visiting?

yea, Technician should be easy enough. working on getting my boss to pay for it early this year

discussing future plans and visiting…

Avaya Certified Associated with about 12 different product authorizations (need to find time to take the TIA CTP 2007 test)

Juniper Advanced Security

Juniper Enterprise Routing

Juniper SSL

Working on JNCIS-ER and JNCIA-FW

What I like to hear. Let me know when you’re in town.