Getting Into the IT industry, Reccomendations?

I know quite a few of you guys / gals on here are IT people, and that’s the route I’m planning to take as far as a career.

First, some background info:
I’m 16, in school going through the Cisco CCNA’s 1-4. I’m A+ Certified and getting my Network+ this summer. At the end of the next school I’ll have completed CCNA 1-4 and will get the Cisco CCNA cert.

After high school though, what’s my best bet to get into the industry? I was thinking Devry, or PTI or something along those lines, but I’d really like to hear from someone already in the field.

Thanks in advanced.

The girlfriend, who is in the IT industry, says “Don’t” :slight_smile:

All kidding aside, an internship is #1. Everyone that has some kind of experience has an edge. Also, foot in door > school name IMO.

BTW, 17 and CCNA, I’m jealous! You’re way ahead of the people that are already in the industry with the A+ Net+ and CCNA. That’s amazing!

I’ve got an internship this summer. Not sure where though, as they are still issuing them out. Thanks, hehe, but it’s something I’ve found I really enjoy, so I figure I’ll make a career out of it.

You’ve definitely got yourself set up to hit the ground running. It’s great to have certifications, but you do all the studying to get your Alphabet Soup as they call it, and some jobs don’t even require it all. You’ve still got time to study while you’re in school. Goto a 4 year school. PTI can help you get certified, but you’re already there. I’ve only got A+ 2003 so far, with the job I’m in, the others aren’t needed really.

Good luck with whatever you do though.

so you want to be a network guy? there is a large distinction between a datacom person and a server person… so i would suggest you aim down the path you want to go… i know a lot of cisco guys that are fucking idiots… so do your best to get your cisco certs but to be as well versed in all network switching as a whole… I would also try to pick up on any voip experience and phone switching experience as you can… I know i’ve only worked on 2 pbx’s but that was 2 more than most cisco guys i know (lol, not really but some are clueless)… datacom and voice com come hand in hand (whether totally supported by datacom folks. or at least the voip systems)

anyway… a good guy is one that knows most of it, but can figure out it all… i wouldn’t try to concentrate on any one specific piece of hardware (cisco) because many companies use more than one switch, whether its a mixed environment or it’s converting from one system to another… I think on the last 2 projects that i’ve worked on, all were undergoing a roll out and roll in of new hardware…

get a solid resume by starting out working wherever you can and keep it up… tha’t sall i have to say… I’ve been working on servers for a few years and have yet to run into a job that has told me that i do not qualify because of my lack of education or certifications… so take that for what it’s worth…

I went to PTI…got a great base IT education along with a good idea what each aspect of the IT industry is like. Not sure what the faculty is like now but from what I’ve seen/heard there was a big shake-up. My class was the first to go through the Oakdale campus upon its grand opening, our faculty was top notch and easy to work with although most students became very unforgiving in terms of maturity issues, I didn’t lose any sleep when they dropped out. It was like losers from Moon 13th grade blow-off session with a few exceptions, the people who actually cared and wanted to learn.

Also, don’t get too caught up in the cert.'s . I know a few “All-Stars” that had their CCNA’s/MSCE’s before we graduated ended up installing point-of-sale machines then eventually getting out of IT all together after school, therein being a big waste of time and money. It was like a big contest to see who could get the most cert’s for their resume/portfolio…not the right mindset to have.

IMO, certs are worthless. I would rather someone not have certs then to have them. But I know thats just me and my style.

My advice to you. Get a 4 year degree in Information Sciences or the sort. Get working on internships when you are a freshman in college. Start the networking game! Its about who you know in this city if you want a good job in IT.

The biggest advice I could give you. Don’t rush into anything, trying to start a career out of highschool works for some. But I don’t think its the ideal path in the long run.

My last company could have cared less about certs and wanted a degree of some sort. My current job could care less about a degree and wants certs.

I currently work at a consulting type place where they can bill be at 140/hour without an mcse and 175/hour if I have an mcse, so certs are a must for my current job. If you get a job at a company and work in their IT department, they probably won’t care about certs and just want you to be able to do the job.

consultant>internal IT department

x 1 million

however… you have to start somewhere…

consulting is definitely big money… Internal IT can suck my ass though!

The DC stuff I think is where the money is though. If you can work as an engineer in a service provider environment. You will make big money and have a ton of experience.

I understand not to focus on one single hardware like Cisco, however my class in the CCNA class and it was offered free. Since I’m only 16 right now, and still in Highschool I don’t have much to do but get my certs and educate myself in what I can, and take advantage of internship programs, like the one I have this summer.

I deffinatly want to further my education in a more broad spectrum once I’m done with CCNA, thats why I was asking you guys what you’d recommend.

Thanks for all the advice, and if there’s anymore, I’ll be glad to take it.

the best way to learn on your own is by doing it. Start watching ebay, pick up a pix, switch, router or anything to start understanding concept hands on. Create a windows or linux server. Understanding the technology is one thing, being able to implement is another. Book smart or test smart people bug the shit out of me. They can talk, but have no idea to put it all together.

I am sure most of the other good computer people on here do the same thing. I have been messing with server applications since i was 15. Creating IIS servers and understanding how everything works. I know bobby311 did the same. hell we even had token ring networks in our houses back in the day. Just get your hands on something and go nuts. You are going to break shit, you are going to redo something 100 times. just have fun with it, and get a strong base and you will do fine

Hey, I like my internal IT position…I work for a good company though.

My advice:

Goto a 4 year school or at least get your BA
Internship every chance you get even if its for little to no money
Move out of state if dont know anyone to get you a job

x2

Definetly get a 4 year degree. I think Penn state has a degree aimed towards networking.

I went for Information Science and Electrical Engineering and ended up as an oracle dba in a multi-terrabyte data-warehouse. You never know what you’ll get involved with!

I hate to ressurect a long dead thread, but I just wanted to say so far I’ve gotten my Net+ and MCP for Windows XP. Weeee! Hahaha. Still sort of jobless in the field though.

Congrats on the certs, but experience is where it’s at. Anyone can look good on paper.

Oh, I know. I’m actually interning right now at CM/IT Solutions in Cranberry, and over the summer I interned at the North Allegheny School District. Just doing what I can while I get by.

It’s 6:18am. I’ve been at work since 5am.

When you do a good job nobody notices. When someone does something wrong its all your fault.

Enjoy. At least the tasks change day to day.