Japan hit by massive 8.8 magnitude earthquake

Bingo and +1 :thumbup Plus, the fuel rods themselves can take years to cool down to disposal level temps, hence why you see them in chilled containment pools outside the reactor in buildings on site.

I’m on both sides of the fence with this issue. On one side bashing in the skulls of the anti-nuclear activists who are making this out like it’s chernobyl all over again and chanting the “I told you so” bullshit, while on the other side in disgust with the people passing it off as if it’s a cake walk here.

I am an advocate for nuclear power and would love to see more of it in this country. This is just a horrible natural disaster that leveled everything controlling multiple levels of sub systems and safeties set in place to prevent this type of incident. There isn’t a thing in the world that could have prevented this, aside from building the plant so far inland it wasn’t affected.

I guarantee over the next 2-3 years you are going to see massive substructures and even more backup failsafes to combat this from happening again. This kind of incident can happen ANYWHERE, whether it be a massive mainland earthquake or any other form of natural disaster.

Flooding the reactor site is the only logical solution at this point. The costs involved in repairing this facility are already astounding due to the site and reactors age to begin with that the entire site would need to be dismantled and inspected regardless of any flooding set forth to cool the reaction.