Jeep Liberty CRD

Tell me what you know about the CRD.
Tell me if I will have issues getting it inspected in NYS if I buy it from OH.
Tell me if I will have issues getting it inspected in NYS in 2007 when new emissions laws are in effect.
Tell me if making biodiesel is as easy and cheap as I think it is.

Don’t tell me how ugly the Liberty is, iI will only be getting groceries in it, or if I lost my balls.

Thanks in advance.

curious to know these details too as I have been considering the CRD as my new DD.

:word: We can be jeep brothers.

Basically this is what I know:

30+ MPG, 30% more than the V6 currently offered in NYS
500+ MPT (miles per tank) Basically this means something to me, because if I plan on running this thing on home brew… I have to know how long I have until I make my next batch. Each batch could take up to a week to make, so I might have to run a 50/50 mix… which would still be much cheaper than the 87oct and 15mpg i avg in my truck.
300+ TQ, a lot more than the V6 here in NYS
4500? LBS - helps with towing /
5000+ LBS towing capacity
delivered to dealers with B5 in them, basically made to run on biodiesel. Jeep promoted diesel, and especially biodiesel. Whether or not home brew diesel is what they mean, will depend on what warranty work I need done.
Engine tried and true, expected life expectancy is 300,000 miles +

Other random Jeep Liberty facts:
Yes they are gay until you have a couple k behind the wheel, then you hate them less. I actually like my fiance’s a little bit. Enough to consider a better one.
They are uber sweet off road, if you are willing to do such a thing. Approach and departure angles are great, with better rubber, and the low gearing of the Liberty, you can go lots of places.
With a 4" lift, decent sized tires, and some other off road type additions, you won’t look like the 4 zillion other women, grandmas, and parking lot panzies on the street, and with the addition of some actual off roading or towing you will act the part as well.

are there any in stock? in this area? i am looking too.

Biodiesel isn’t hard to make. You just have to make sure you run an excess of methanol to stress the system towards the “biodiesel” side of the reaction. Otherwise you end up with mono and diglycerides (okay, you’ll read this as “soap” on the internet).

Actually, running the reaction in acidic conditions is actually more efficient. It’s really not all that difficult if you have even a basic understanding of chemistry.

Man only if I had the money to make a biodiesel refinery. Even on a small local scale.

Are you putting me in that group or can I be exempt?

Can’t sell them in NYS… emissions.

Well I have been researching.

Jeep Liberty owners are a bunch of whiney little bitches.
The CRD is avg. 30mpg highway, but about 25 city.
Some people are running 100% biodiesel.
-Some of these people live in Europe
-Some of these people live in the south, ie warmer climates.

Old school Jeepers will call it a car, will point out that the tires on the vehicle are for Passenger vehicles, and that the title does not state that it is a truck… blah blah blah. Basically, they hate it. Some guys love them.

Some people are having a lot of problems with fuel, and DC does not warranty fuel issues. If you run Bio-D and it fucks up your $25k truck/car you are fucked. If you run Petro-D and it fucks up your $25k truck/car you are fucked. You have to go after the fuel supplier. With Bio-D that would be me, and if I went anywhere else, it would be a long drawn out process with more expensive lawyers than I would even want to battle in court, and would ultimately end up with me having a broken CRD in my driveway.

They do not sell CRDs in Cali, and some other NE states, like NY. You can purchase them from out of state and register them here, but I guess it depends on where you go for your inspection if it will pass or not.

Towing is a dream with this thing. No problem. Fuel consumption will drop MPG to high teens. You’re towing, you’d expect a drop, but not that much with 300TQ.

There are flashes available from the dealer to fix a lot of the problems people are having with them. If you buy from out of state, you have to go there to get flashed, NYS Delaers are not equipped to service CRDs. The 2 I have called said they do not have the tools. The 2 dealers I called in OH said that NY Dealers should have everything, but these dealers were also not aware of the fact that NYC dealers could not sell them.

The highest lift you can safely run rught now is 2.5". Anything higher and you have to replace the CV joints because they buckle at anything higher. Even a 3" lift is bad news. They have aftermarket CVs available, but thats work I don’t want to do. There are also straight axle conversions out for the front end to replace the IFS (Independent Front Suspension) but again, stuff I don’t feel like doing.

The biggest tire you can run on a 2.5" lift is 265/75.

Here is a link with a bunch of extra crap.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=120259
and another
http://www.rocky-road.com/liberty.html

So as of right now. I will continue to drive my truck until these CRDs are tried and true, or until I can test drive one without driving an hr to do so. I’d also like to see where NYS Emissions standards are going for 2007, before I buy a truck/car not legal to sell here.

You are the reason I made that group due to your recent biting of my nutts.

well i think the engine itself it tried and tested, its just a M-B diesel and they do know how to make good diesels. its the fact DCX tried to stick it in the jeep and electronics and whatnot else had the issues.

i’m really hoping someone comes out with a mid-sized (trailblazer, explorer, grand cherokee) sized diesel shortly so i can pick up one of those. the liberty crd is nice, but they are kinda small.

those dream vehicles are already available in Europe. Honestly, for some vehicles over there, the gas motor is an option.

diesels make up something like 60%+ of vehicles in europe. why the fuck cant we get them here!

All a matter of money, and a poor reputation they are given in the states.