KA24DE timing assistence

K, i had to replace my head gasket, so obviously the top end had to be removed. Now i tried to line up the mating marks on the lower chain to the mating marks on the ilder sprocket, and lined up the mating marks on the timing chain to the marks on the cam sprockets, but it won’t fire.

I’ve set the motor to top dead center and put the distributor in at No 1 cylinder firing position ( as per Nissan instructions) do i have to take the front cover off and make sure the crank mark is lined up with the chain marks? Please help

it wont fire as in???

is it turning over?
is it getting spark?

if both of those, then check ur ignition wires, make sure they are in the right spot

thats all i can say with that info

spark, turing over and fuel, tested each wire and spark comes out, spark comes out of distributor 2, theres no comperssion(checked w/ compression guage)

No compression could mean that you have not installed the cam proprely , you probably having a intake/ exhaust valve opening at the same time .
Pop the valve cover and check the cycle of each cylinder by rotating the crank. make sure the exhaust and intake valves are close at TDC.

Message me if you need more information.
I can even check it out for you if you are in the scarborough area.

cool, thanks
My car is in london but i’m in Sault Ste Marie
I managed to get the technical manual from a nissan dealership and followed the directions, but if all 4 valves have to be closed @ TDC and it still doesn’t fire does that mean the motor is 180 degress out?

the best thing ne 1 can do is take it to a dealer
$430 got me a timed motor plus diagnostics on the cooling sysetm(south London Infiniti Nissan )
running plus a thermostat replacement

you can double check whether the first cylinder is on top dead center by looking at the first 2 cam lobes (intake and exhaust cam shafts). They should be facing away from each other by exactly 180 degrees (each looking towards the fenders).

Also, when you slide the distributer back in, it will rotate clockwise a few degrees and you won’t have it at TDC anymore… set it to TDC by looking at the markings near the gear head of the distributer… then mark the position of the rotor with a marker. Rotate the distributer CCW a bit and then slide it in… once it’s in, the marking you made should match up… (it’s a lot easier to show this to someone than to actually explain it heh).

That should do it for timing…