Kevin's 2005 LegacyGT limited daily driver

The goal of this is to keep it looking stock and riding comfortably (for me). Goal of all the mods are to bring up power to over 310 whp and a few things to support that approx 120 whp jump from stock. I like how the car looks from the factory and do not intend to touch anything on the outside. I bought this car because of the low & mid range torque, AWD, and it’s generally a great car to drive around. I’m hoping to keep things that way…

Right now I’m around a ‘stage 2’ setup:

Catless up pipe (wrapped w/ thermotec)
Single high flow cat down pipe (partially wrapped)
AVO top mount intercooler
KStech StockMAF intake
3” Invidia cat-back exhaust
5300k HID conversion

I had a protune in April by Junior @ The Shop. I came in at 287 whp and 300 wtq. That dyno reads high - should be about 240whp. My boost target is 16.5psi tapering to about 11. I’m really happy with how this ‘feels’ until I get in the upper RPMs (4k+) and the turbo just totally dies.

To remedy this annoying lack of high end and ensure good throttle response I’m going to do the following:

BNR Supercars EVOIII 16g/TD05h in 8cm2 VF40 housing
FP braided oil line w/ banjo bolt filter delete from block to turbo
Perrin silicone 2.5" inlet
650cc DW sidefeed injectors
Walbro 255 pump (2008+ STI pump should work too)
Grimmspeed EBCS
Eibach/MSI pro springs (smallest drop in height over stock)
Another dyno tune either by Junior at The Shop, or Chris at EFI
probably a new clutch ;D

I spent lots of time agonizing over the turbo I wanted but ultimately this is the one. I want to keep throttle response as close to stock as possible and push 19psi tapering to 16 at the redline. I also wanted to stick with a Legacy style turbo and not go hueg STI turbz + front mount.

I’ll post back here when i start the new turbo install or blow the block apart :retardclap

http://img16.imageshack.us/img16/4999/img0171ok.th.jpg

Very nice man.

I’m going to bring my LGT to Ivey to get it tuned after I get the cams in… Shooting for around 300whp, 350+ tq. I just hope the tranny holds up.

I’ve heard about your car but haven’t seen it yet.

Who’s Ivey?

I think the 5sp we have is alright in these cars. I’m not launching mine or being really hard on it so my fingers are crossed.

I have been getting extreme shuddering under braking lately, thought my rotors were warped, turns out the rubber ball mounts on the lower control arms are chewed up and need to be replaced asap. Time for some avo 0 offset poly mounts :slight_smile:

Thought I’d update this thread.

Just put an FMIC in and I’m going with an 18g instead of the EVO. Should have the 18g in by the end of July I hope. Picked up a used 2008 STi fuel pump to drop in with the 650cc injectors. I’ll probably skip the EBCS and just go with a 1mm pill.

Had to drop the protune I had as there was some knock showing up.

I need to find a skilled tuner w/ AWD dyno in this area. I know of moon performance but don’t hear a whole lot about their work.

Quick phone pic:

http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/3310/35395702379873102161047.jpg

Which 18g did you pick? The only one I would ever consider is the Blouch 18g xt because of the 10cm2 hotside.

I like the Blouch offerings, but I paid $750 a while back for a BNR VF40 18g/td05h hybrid in the 8cm2 housing. Trying to avoid the marketing hype of the forged compressor wheels aka hta68 etc anyway. His EVO hybrid is looking like a strong little turbo also.

BNR’s website is here http://bnrsupercars.com/ there’s a dyno of a 2008 WRX w/ the 18g and a top mount. Hoping to surpass that. I will be fully satisfied at that point :lol

That’s a very good price

Good thing this thread was bumped. I’m going to be selling my Bilstein HD shock/struts w/ Swift springs and Spec. B mounts very soon. Interested?

Def interested, I have Eibach Pro springs but everything else I am very interested in :slight_smile:

I put in the 18g this past weekend along with the injectors, EBCS, and fuel pump. Currently tuning the car… I need to take some pictures!

Sounds like a nice set up but I would have gone with a 10cm housing

I’m quite happy with it at the moment. The tune is pretty safe and I’d like to squeeze more DD miles out of this for at least a year or two. Clutch is hanging in there and I’m not pushing the limits of the stock gearbox (too much!)

I’d like to go bigger and build the whole drivetrain in another year or two. Too much to focus on with work right now to go crazy with the car.

Some suspension mods are next and then I’m going to take a break and get into the winter time toys :slight_smile: