Koenigsegg Buys Saab???

Ohhhh shizzle… Just rumors for now but I think this could be some interesting stuff!

We don’t have much to go on yet, but Swedish television is reportedly claiming that Koenigsegg, makers of ultra high-performance exotic supercars, and a group of Norwegian investors have signed a letter of intent with Saab to take over the brand from General Motors. Final negotiations will reportedly take place in the coming months.

:tup: I’ve heard the same from other sources :snky:

The new 9-5 has been hyped a lot as a big leap for the brand.

Hell yeeeeaaaahhh. That is cool. The owner of Koenigsegg is a crazy enthusiast. I hope he makes a 500 hp Saab for production.

Sounds like a great move for the brand.

Sweds are sweet I work with a few of them. :slight_smile:

I hope to for a sporty M5 fighter.

wow, this would RULE@!!

As do I. They sure love their cars and are passionate about them.

This was mentioned in a GM article posted last week. I was surprised no one said anything at the time. lol

Well as of last week it was down to two competitors

what are you guys’ expectations for this duo? I doubt they are going to turn saab into some ultra high performance family sedan brand. Hopefully one or two cool models will come forth though.

Koenigsegg RULES

It’s funny how quick you can get sick of seeing ferraris, porsches, lambos, etc. I want to see a pagani or a koenigsegg driving by. :frowning:

It will end up similar to the Saturn buy out. They will more or less end up buying the cars from GM for the next handful of years. I wouldn’t expect to see anything non-GM out of them for at least 5 years. There is no way the UAW would let production leave their hands, and neither would the government. As it sits now, GM is just another government work project (similar to the Hoover Dam).

I thought Saabs were built in Sweeden and Germany?

Edit:
http://usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/cars-trucks/daily-news/090123-Saab-Will-Separate-from-GM/

“Saab-built factories in Sweden would stop producing European Cadillacs, and GM-owned factories in Germany would stop producing Saab cars.”

I wonder how much of their ultra-high-performance stuff will be adaptable to a mass production platform if they win it. It may offer some opportunities to think outside the box and do things differently. Could be interesting because usually it’s the regular car company that buys the exotic brand, not the other way around.

I bet that over time, they will turn the brand into a more bmw/audi-esque brand(which would be cool). I think it will take some time though. Also, I hope the continue to build US Spec cars.

The current saab is the same chassis as the cobalt, and ion. it uses the same engine as the ion redline/cobalt ss (only they used different manifolds for for the turbo and sc models). Every thing is built on that astra chassis.

There is no doubt they will retain the chassis and engine contract. It would cost a huge sum of money for them to develop an entirely new car from the ground up.

What happened to Saab?.. What happened to ZerODazE?

They both disappeared.

I met the head of Koenigsegg in Sweden at a bar - pretty cool guy.