Koenigsegg designs camshaft-free Freevalve engine

Very interesting.

Also - a shiny bald head with no eyebrows is such a good look.

You have to be OCD to work there. lol

I’d kill to work there.

Or maybe he is just a big Syd Barrett fan.

ha!

lol, I posted some of these videos and this is what you said:

http://www.nyspeed.com/showthread.php?229430-Alex-Roy-Takes-Automotive-Trips

Let us know when you have something to contribute to this thread.

I have been thinking about this technology for years.

COUGH think what happens when you combine this technology with forced induction, and can effectively create a 2-cycle engine on demand by manipulating the valves COUGH

I see what you did there.

Great vid, Great points by Don.

This may be a stupid question, but in consideration of your exhaust gasses passing the valve example, could the exhaust valves be contoured for better flow, with relief notches in the pistons?

Also, while this is greatly improving efficiency, I do not think the internal combustion engine will still be prevalent in automobiles of the future

STOP USING PROOF AND EVIDENCE ON THE INTERNET!!!

also, those videos do suck.

it’s the Singer and Koenigsegg ones that kick as

Exhaust valves could be radiused and most are but they are not fully radiused, the major issue you can’t escape is heat transfer. You need to leave margin to properly transfer heat to the valve seat. By doing so it must have enough contact, so fully radiusing the valve would be a cause for early failure due to cracking or overheat. The best known method of aiding exhaust gas to escape the combustion chamber during the exhaust cycle is lift and cam timing. Getting the valve head far enough away from the roof of the chamber and walls of the cylinder long enough for exhaust to flow around the valves and holding the intake open just long enough to have some fresh air enter the cylinder to aid in flushing out the remainder of the exhaust gas. (scavenging)

Talking with a friend he provided some insight

Camless engines isn’t a new idea. The controls of it is the issue (contrary to what the guy in this video would have you to believe). The biggest thing is the closing the valves. If you’ve ever seen what a camshaft looks like, you know it’s rounded off as the valve closes, that’s to control the closing speed. The current camless designs that I know of aren’t able to control that closing rate. The valves are ballistically shut which can cause damage and is very noisy.

The new engines like the 2.4L Multi-Air 2 coming out from Chrysler uses hydraulic valves, but they still have a camshaft. Eventually the technology and controls will catch up and yes camless engines will become more popular. One of the reasons for the gains is the fact that on truely camless engines you can get rid of the throttle and completely control airflow with the valves. So that will help eliminate a lot of the pumping losses that are caused by throttling the engine.

^Hell I never thought about that! No intake manifold or throttle body required! Just control the air via the valve! Holy hell that would be so awesome. You’d also no longer have to us a conventional “V” style engine. There could be offset arranged pistons to minimize size or weight distribution.

Interesting points about the dynamics of the opening/closing. But, depending on the evolution of this concept, it does get you thinking about the flexibility this design could potentially have. Understanding that the engine RPM can affect the cylinder pressure, you can control and vary valve timing/lift/duration/overlap for optimal performance and fuel economy. It could be done with a purely electronic solenoid design (peak and hold drive with a return spring), but the actuation may not be fast enough unless it draws a descent amount of power, relatively speaking.

I hadn’t considered the elimination of the throttle body, but it does lose any value once complete valve control is developed.

Bump! Called “Freevalve” … Awesome stuff:

As we drive down the road, Christian von Koenigsegg laughs. “A GM engineer said we’d never have an engine without a camshaft a few years ago. We were driving in a car without a camshaft at the time, so he must have been wrong.” Welcome to the future…

… It can also run multiple fuels. Christian said it can run diesel or gas. You can’t mix them together and expect it to work, but maybe two separate tanks depending on what you want to do. It’s a fascinating idea…

… But here’s the most impressive part: If applied to a current engine, it will provide 30 percent more power and torque, and up to 50 percent better economy. It’s also lower and smaller than an engine with a camshaft. So, if built from scratch, a smaller displacement engine can have the power and efficiency to compete with larger engines…

Voodoo…

I would really like to see the actuators placed outside of the valve cover if this ever becomes mainstream. Would be great for something to replace that inevitably will need to be serviced or upgraded. Doesn’t even seem like something that would get expensive if made in mass quantities.

WITCHCRAFT!