Paging Adam - Do you have a bore scope? pic inside isnt good.

Long story short:

Keyway on the cam gear sheered off, and spun the timing. I took the valve cover off and turned the motor over to check the gear to gear timing, which is on the money. But when the marks on the cam lined up, the cam timing gear mark was at 3 o-clock :banghead:. The metal that sheered off the gear jamed it up so it was held in position.

Now when i turned the motor over after I changed the cam position sensor I didnt hear any nasty clunks so I dont think I hit the valves. or they are already bent and just dont hit anymore.

DOES ANYONE HAVE A BORE SCOPE TO SAVE ME THE TIME PULLING THE HEAD AND EVERYTHING OFF THIS THING???

oHH YEAH, and Brett or Pete or any other VW guy have a cam gear laying around?

na man, i don’t have a cam gear. but you have low comp j/e pistons with valve reliefs right? if so i think your good. i know brett hung a valve open and his pistons were untouched fwiw.

best way without a scope is to check the valve springs for fluid movement and the same movement with a wooden dowel by pressin the spring down

Yeah they are, but I was unsure if it is enough clearance to not smack. I fucking hope so.

Please explaine more in detail? I dont really follow you.

Yes I have a scope but I don’t lend it out as it’s very expensive. Digital 360 with 30 degree view and about 15 degrees of tilt good for inspecting bore walls and piston domes but not for looking at valves. Hard to get the view at that angle down the plug holes

Just do a comp test. You won’t do any more damage by that test if damage exists already and it’ll give you a go/no go answer.for the most part

Well what I gather and Pete said too, that I might be lucky becasue of the piston design with the valve reliefs cut out. I am going to call JE tomorrow and see what they say.

I know that those scopes are very expensive, I looked them up for shits. Is there any chance you could swing by my house some time and scope it out real quick… I figure just look at the piston faces and if they are mint, I am good, if they have nicks, I pull the head. I will throw a few bucks at you for your time too if you want.

Compression/leakdown test, done.

take the wooden dowel and press the top of the valve while the cams are at t.d.c for that cyl make sure there is no binding in any of them and they move the same .best way it to do a comp test /leak down test .if ya dont have a comp or leakdowwn tester p/m me and ya can run up to my shop off exit 10 and use my comp tester if ya need to

Your a standup guy john. :thumbup

i’m almost positive you are ok.

i floated a valve from an over rev. it happens, i lucked out that it didnt break off, but the JE pistons have great valve relief design, no valve to piston contact was made all 4 pistons are good in my car, but the cylinder walls need some work. 83mm will solve that issue.

i have some things laying around, but im not 100% on if im going to use a CAT Cams gear or not.

a new gear shouldnt be very pricey. did the keyway mess up the camshaft at all?
http://photos-f.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs025.snc3/11237_186171343642_521783642_2824606_4921163_n.jpg

piston #1, the valve relief on the bottom RIGHT was the exhaust valve that hung open. no marks

http://photos-b.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs025.snc3/11237_186170183642_521783642_2824604_956560_n.jpg

Yeah I think so… :ahh

I will try that, and see what happens. I will let you know if i need the tester, thanks bud!

Thats a load off my mind, between you and pete. I will call the dealers to see if I can get a gear tonight… f not it will be good old ebay and a few days. EDIT* Langan has one $83… fuck it i am there i guess. No brett, it didnt mess up the cam at all! VW was thinking when they made the cast gear I guess, that fails instead of the cam notch.

THANKS EVERYONE

do not buy one off of eBay. if you dont go through the dealer go through a place like QED Power. i would never buy eBay timing parts, “OEM” or not. nor would i buy a high mileage used one. im going to magnaflux my gear before it goes back on, if i use it, because a 3000$ cylinder head will not be destroyed by a 100$ part.

I always disliked how those gears had the “built in” key. They shear to damn easy. Tool steel key and normal keyway FTMFW.

Yeah buy new like brett said. Too many used gears are already fractured at the key just form normal use.

the 1.8T also has issues with the lower timing gear as well, shearing the keyway. but now there is a gear available that comes with a dowel pin, so you bolt it up, and tap the crank witht he supplied drill bit and then press the dowel in… no more stress ont he the keyway.

my build will include that, and probably a CAT Cams adjustable cam gear. or atleast a cam gear with a clean bill of health. ferrera valves, springs and ti retainers are not cheap, nor is the casting, the cams or the bottom end im going to have.

Yeah I edited my post… I am pickig up a new OEM one from the dealer on my ride home. Should be up and running tonight.

comp test it as soon as you have the timing set. as well all know, no 2 engines are a like. so my luck, might be your misfortune.

dont say that. :ahh lol.

Yeah I will asap.

It runs. still rips like it did befor, no CEL’s at all, so i can get an inspection tomorrow and the alignemnt too.

Ill prolly still do a comp test to see where it is at anyway.

8.5:1 healthy, should be 170-175psi.

im shooting for a solid 200psi cylinder pressure on my next build. no 8.5:1 garbage again.