Landscaping/Yard Care Question

Come spring/summer my yard is extremely shady. This results in thin to dead grass in certain areas. Will any of the turf builder products help solve this problem?

I know that my mother-in-law uses Scotts brand stuff and her yard is awesome. Also, I am pretty sure that they have specialized formulas/mixes for areas that are dry, shady, soggy, etc.

Edit: Here’s a link Link
http://www.scotts.com/smg/products/Scotts/grass_seed/image/Turf_Builder_DenseShade_Seed_std.jpg

That looks like that might be the ticket… thanks!

My neighbor’s yard looks like it came off of a scott’s bag! He swears by the stuff.

A shade specific grass seed should help you out, but it’s a matter of growing new grass, versus adding turf builder or fertilizer

I am trying to find something to make my grass grow slower. Fuck cutting grass.

I have a dirtbike track in my front yard right now, I am trying to keep it there all summer so I don’t have to cut it at all.

That’s what I do with my backyard, except I use quads.

my goal is to plant grass so there is less mud for the dog to get into. right now my backyard is like a mud pit for her!

pave it and paint it green

scotts

thats what I did …Now it has crips tag on it

shade mixes work to a certain degree. but if it’s very shady it just wont work. you’ll have to trim the trees to get more light in. try the shade mix and see since it’s the cheaper way to go.

I am going to try the shade mix. At most i will be out 30 bucks if it does not work. Any tips on prep?

Yeah hire that mexican fella named justin.

just get field turf like the football fields…

seriously though, just over seed it in the spring before the trees get leaves and use a starter fertilizer. and every fall through some more seed on as needed

whitey… is the dirt loose from your dog tearing it up? if so, just throw the seed down and run a rake over it. overseeding (throwing seed in the area) would most likely have to be done each spring, but it may solve the problem. also, try to keep your dog out of the area until the new grass has taken and is ready to cut. i also swear by the scotts brand stuff. just spread step 1 this week.

you might want to thatch your yard first, get all the old dead grass out, and then you’re going to want a dusting of new topsoil not much, just like an 1/8 inch, throw down your new seed, starter fertilizer, and probably some type of lime, because if your dog is back there pissing and shitting, the ground is probably somewhat acidic, a lime will help to neutralize that, then on top of all that throw down a tiny bit of mushroom manure, once again, like an 1/8 inch, just enough to cover the seed to keep the birds out.
Thats the best way to take care of the problem, and trimming the trees would help as well. I’m a foreman for a landscaping company, we do it all the time.

x2

i’m a landscpe foreman too.

Thanks for all the great advice! Should I worry about the temperature or is this something I could start this weekend? I took a look at trimming the trees last night. There is a few branches that I could remove and probably make a tremendous difference. Again I really appreciate the advice.

word!!!

I think you should aerate the lawn with those spikes you put on your shoes, like they sell in the SkyMall catalog. :smiley: