Lease or buy

just wonering did u guys pay full for ur 350z or did u guys lease it
if u guys leased it how good of a deal did u guys get?
cause i am considering to join the 350 club hehe
sick ride… its finally getting to me, i dunno why it took so long though

I bought mine. I dont think it’s worth buying… Leasing may be a better option.

i like buying as a better option… leasing u pay monthly for the car but then u have to give up wat u spend a lot of money on… might as well buy the car… keep it and if u dont want it sell it and recover sum of ur money back…

It all depends on your financial situation.
If you can afford to lease, then go for it. Benefits would be that you will have a new ride every couple of years.
I personally chose to purchase the Z, this way I can recover some funds if and when I choose to sell.

Good luck!

I agree. IMO, if you really do love the car and plan to keep it for a while, it is best to buy it if you can. I personally don’t think leasing would be better, because then technically its like the car is not yours, and there is a limit as supposed to how many KMs you can accumulate plus, if you were to switch it over after, its a hassle to take off all the parts you add.

If you won’t be modding the Z that much, and keep everything stock, maybe a lease is best?

Anyway, great choice! Z’s are hot

Lease is a good option if you dont care for keeping the car. if you plan on keeping the car though, buy it because then you can modify it in whatever way you like. like what xtngshz said, a lease means yur not the owner of the care, the car is just in your care.

whoever taught you guys the difference between a lease and a purchase died 20 years ago…and that was 15 years after retiring.

leasing is allways cheaper than a purchase over the full term
on a lease you split about 1/2 the value over 3yr term of the lease
this changes with longer terms and down payments.

this typically makes the car about $100 or more CHEAPER per month

then at the end of the lease if you want to keep the car you call the dealer tell them your keeping the car and send a cheque (financing company or whatever)
no inspections or nothing…the dealer has no rights to those “inspections” under current ontario law…IF… you are buying the car.
you could have $4000 in mods and 200,000kms and they cant charge you a cent because you are buying the car out.

Penalties are accrued upon return of the vehicle…but…
…no mods…no excessive mileage…no problems (accidents etc)…no penalties.

some accidents are even included as a non penalty…with some MFR’s

in total you get the lease time + finance time to pay the same $$ as if you baught.
why
because when you buy they tack interest on top of taxes and fee’s…
when you lease…this is not allowed!!

on a $20k car you will save about 1-5% on leasing over buying…

also if the car is a write off (taxes wise)
you get to write off the payment of the lease for the FULL TERM
($550/month 60 months)=$33,000

you can only write off a purchase for 3 years. at typically reducing depreciations…rather than increasing depreciations as have beent he actual fact over the last 5 years (yr1=30%, yr2=30% yr3=20%)=$50k-$15k-10k-$4.9k= $30,000…not $33,000

ther are other loops you can add too that cannot be added to a purchase.

today you are considdered a co-owner ina lease and leagally so…like having a mortgage.

the only reason why people buy over leasing these days is because grandpa said it was bad…or because they want the assurance of selling the car whenever they want “JUST IN CASE”.

the debate rages between only those with OUTDATED info from the OLD days of leasing…when the k-car was new.

ummm OK… wen u sign a lease ur signing a contract… when u wanna get outta the lease early u cant… u have to find sum1 to take over that lease…

1. its a hastle
  2. u lost money because u just gave away sumting u been paying for
  3. if you cant fund sum1 to take over the lease… then ur stuck with something u dont want…

signing a contract is ****ed up… if u have the money and ur going to buy the car… u can pay for it… not worry bout giving the car back to the dealer… and if ur bored of it… u sell it, gain money back, and then buy sumting u like… if u sign a contract for 3 years its a pain in the ass… contracts are hard to get out of

May I ask how old you are?

I have both leased and purchased. I found from my experiences, that it was cheaper to lease until the point of return. If you lease with no intention of purchasing that particular vehicle, or another from the same dealership for that matter, said dealership will hit you with every surcharge they can think of.
-Paint damage
-Extra mileage
-Interior damage
-Regular maintenance issues(on dealership terms, not following protocol can void warranty)
-replacement of wearable items such as tires, brakes, rotors, calipers, clutch/trans, etc…
These are all things that a dealership can or will hit you with once you return the vehicle, if you have no intentions of purchasing from “said” dealership.(unless stated in your lease contract)
^this is based off of my own personal experiences.

Its also cheaper to lease if you have your own business, as part of the vehicle (sometimes all) can be written off as a business expense, gas included. Also you would have the luxury of owning a new vehicle every few years.

That being said, If you do not think that any of the above fits your situation, then I would highly recommend you consider purchasing the vehicle outright, as it may be less stressful to own and operate.

Kazz** perhaps you can share some of your personal experiences with regard to leasing and purchasing.

Cheers,
R

im 30 yrs old and have worked in automotive sales,
my father was salesman of the year for toyota for 5 years in a row…starting with his rookie year.

i bet you leased american in the early 90’s right?!?!?

i only broke down the car payment …yes i can write off insurance, gas, tires, oil changes, car washes, detailing services…anything to do with my car.

I am an outside sales rep.
but this is also applicable to anyone who gets a mileage remuneration type job…this is why you accountant better be checking the “doesn’t cover all expenses” box no matter what he thinks.

if you lease with the intention of returning the vehicle you will only be charged penalties on anything beyond normal wear.

you cannot return a car with bald tires
big dents and scratches
interior tears in the seats burn hole fron cigarettes etc

a couple parking lot dings, basic “swirls in the paint” are usually overlooked.

an inspection of the drivetrain etc will be done to see if you did maintain the car (obviously)

but if you intend on returning car from the start…you should know you didn’t rent it…

you dont get to lease a new 350Z use it as a drift race car and expect to get away with that do you???

buy if you cant take care of your cars,
buy if you cant park in a strait line in the middle of the spot
buy if you cant keep it between the curbs
buy if you expect someone to hold you hand like a baby through your whole automotive experience.

lease if you can take care of a car
lease if oyu know “ding doctor” exists
lease if you like you car enough to get the scratches buffed out
lease if you are a responsible enough person to actually do the maintenance
finally
lease if you plan to lease the car & buy it out…
which is the same as buying…BUT…you get the lease term (4yrs?) and the loan term (4yrs?)to pay for the car!!!
sooo
$50k over 8yrs or $50k over 4-6yrs…which is cheaper easier to budget for ???

i have sold and leased over 120 cars…more than any of us will do in our lives.
ive seenthe math in hand 120 times

…IT IS CHEAPER TO LEASE…PERIOD…
JUS DONT ACT LIKE A “HOMELESS CIVIC BOY” WITH YOUR BRAND NEW CAR!!!

Keep the mileage in check damage in check etc…act like you like your car…
or let it fall apart, put 60thou a year on the car…then BUY IT OUT…

i have taken buy outs OVER THE PHONE…what did I say?

“heres the total for the cheque, make sure your finance company sends me a confirmation”

no inspection, not nothing…why?..what the fk do I care about the mileage?
you baught the car…its not my problem…

besides what happens when you get in a very bad accident (god forbid), and you insurance pays off the car…does the insurance or you pay for tire wear?
no
they pay out the lease…nothing more…

so buy it out then sell it yourself…many cars will…
… MAKE YOU MONEY THIS WAY!!!..
i had a buyout of 11k on a 97 rav4
with my 58,000kms mileage the car was still worth $14k
baught it out, sold it for 14

I made a free $3,000, just because i took care of the car and the calculated expected depreciation that the dealer used was wrong…because people got hot on “smaller SUV’s”

do the math in your head…the payment is usually $360/month for a $25k car with 10-11k buyout
4yr term
NOTHING DOWN…$0.00

if what you are offered doen’t match those percentages…you getting raped…
also a hot trick from scammers is to agree with you on payments etc and then come back after “talking to the boss”
and say “he has appoved the lease!!”
but they dont tell you they added a year…they expect you to read it in the contract…
this is a very popular trick at Chrysler and american dealers (from my exper)

Very detailed response, but…

^Some ppl actually do lease and upgrade with aftermarket products, with the intent to return the car to stock and part out once the lease has ended.( I am sure your experience has shown you this)

Lets see, I purchased my car and…
I take care of my car
I can park anywhere, even downtown chinatown without problems.
I have no problems keeping it on the road.
I am to old to have someone coddling me, unless its a scantily clad dressed woman.:smiley:
… So i guess I am really leasing?:hmm

^if you can do all this, why not purchase outright? why take such good care of a vehicle you do not own and one that you will be returning…
It doesnt make much sense to me…

I guess there are differing opinions and there is nothing wrong with that, and there are benefits to both, but…
For you to say that “leasing is always the better/cheaper way” and basically that purchasing is something that should be left for negligent owners is unfounded… and needless to say, something I would expect to hear from a car salesman…"D (JOKES!!)

im no lomnger in car sales due to the liars and cheats.
they give all sales people a bad rap.
I am in technical sales…where if you lie…the building burns down…or the circuit board doen’t work
so no I cant get away with lieing in this field.

delaers prefer leasing due to the annuity of a lease…they know they will make x/month off you…and that money is tied to the dealer…not head office

a purchase is usually tied to head office and or a bank

“^if you can do all this, why not purchase outright? why take such good care of a vehicle you do not own and one that you will be returning…
It doesnt make much sense to me…”

how bout because you are a responsible person who takes care of their stuff by nature?
you dont pull mini-me’s at night in your own home… do you?
you take care of your stuff because its in your adult nature to be responsible…(for most of us) you replace bad tires, broken parts etc right?..
so just do it before the lease is up…

or

are you complaining you cant get away with leasing and not maintaining when you dont expect to get away with it on a car you buy?

if your goona care for a car either way…lease…why not? it’ll make no diff anyway… (right!!!)…no penalties with no problems…
buy a seat cover…oops i bet you did that anyway right?
keep it clean, get it detailed…oops we do that anyway
do your oil changes…oops we do that anyway
change your tranny fluid…ooops we do that anyway
replace broken parts…oops we do that too.

you still havent shown how buying is better.
you dont own your home with a mortgage…just like you dont own your car with a lease…EXACTLY THE SAME WAY LEGALLY TOO.

its a simple fact anyone really looking into BUYING or LEASING a NEW car are 95% of the time capable of coming back after 3 years and not have anything different in the way the car looks or drives baught or leased.

i have only seen the WEIRDO’s come in with screw holes in the dashtop and giant cigarette burns that look like a fire experiment (and I smoke)

I have allowed “extra power plugs in the dash”
moded paint work (2 tone)
couple cigarette burns
serious smoke smell
scratches (touch up or buffable)
replaced tires (as long as they were decent tread depth)
parking lot dings
etc etc no penalties…why?
no matter what when we got a car in, we’d
buff polish “ding doctor” steam clean, engine bay shampoo, 120 point inspect
etc etc…to charge for something were goona do anyway…never happened…by me…
we got A*holes in who returned cars saying that it did this and that and its all our fault.
we’d check…it’s been a dream car (as far as his wife was concerned) and he thaught he needed and “excuse” to return the car…lol

silly people out there