i promiss this will be my last car buying thread!!!

so after people telling me this on here for god knows how long, i finally came to the conclusion that i need to be focusing on school and work right now rather than having a ‘pimp’ car(s). that said…

i went to Northtown Subaru today and talked to Jeff (SI01 on here) and got some info on leasing a new Impreza 2.5i. basically, i liked what i heard, which was at $2000 down, payments would be ~$200 a month (give or take a few bucks) and this is what i get:

-2005 (or 06 depends on when i get it) Subaru Impreza 2.5i
-power windows, locks, AC, CD player, cruise (all the basic stuff, im easy to please lol)
-5 speed (no autotragic for me!)
-and i would also opt for the WRX wing (extra $5 a month) to bring out the inner ricer in me hehe
-12,000 miles a year for 4 years.

my logic about leasing: in 4 years when the lease is up, i will be out of school and be moving somewhere other than here, and i will have a real job and i can just get a new car when i relocate. i figure im better off paying $200 a month for a brand new car with a warantee rahter than paying $250 for a truck thats 8 years old thats gonna nickle and dime me to death (which is my current situation). i prob would mod the Impreza at all, and if i did, it would jsut be a coupple little things that i couldnt get in warantee troubble for and stuff i could take off when the lease is up, but odds are i wouldnt mod it at all. i just want some honest opinions. the 2 grand down is not a problem, and i can easily swing $200 a month (and i also figure i will be spending less on gas and mayb be saving a little on insurance?)

and a big :tup: to Jeff from Northtown…he was farmilair with my situation form me bitching and moaning on here and understood that it was gonna be a little while before i do anything in regards to a new car, but he took a LOT of his time to go over all my different options and answer all of my questions and was very informative and honest with me. I would have to say that it was the bes experience that i’ve had at a car dealer.

Subarus are cool. Go for it.

reassemble the R/T

sell the R/T

buy a '92-'95 stick civic or something cheap, pay off whatever’s left on the R/T

Then:

1. you won’t have to have full coverage insurance

2. you won’t have a monthly payment

3. 12K miles a year? i drive at Least 20K without even trying. And are you taking on that job or internship in the southtowns still?

4. have something to show for it upon the close of the lease.

5. just make this your last car LEASING thread, make another BUYING one and i’m on it :slight_smile:

I dunno. I know there’s a few people on here who like leasing, it’s just not something i’m all about i guess…

very nice…out of cousity did you look at anything else tehre?

nothing going on in the southtows, that never worked out. the R/T already has full coverage ($$$$$$$$$$$), and i dont drive that much, school work and home are all on the same street (litterally) and on average i drive mayb 10K a year (dont really travel or anything too much)

yeah i looked at a STi which was ~$561 a month, and a WRX which was ~$385 a month. actually, i didnt look a ta STi, i inquired about a price, and after i saw that, i didnt even want to see the actual car lol.

Joel, you are one logical dude.

Get a beater honda, its what every college kid does.

If you just want a new car then whatever, but saying its cheaper to lease a new car is nutso.

Bought my f150 in 98 with 38k miles for 8500 bucks from a dealer in ohio, about to sell it to a guy from out of state for 8050 next week. Truck has 74k miles, and I paid 5.9 percent interest on the loan.

It cost me pretty much nothing to own the truck and i drove the truck for two years.

I’ll get a 4 banger ranger at auction soon and do the same thing in two years.

12k miles is nothing dude. My buddy has a new f150 on a lease, and he’s like nah i can’t take on vacation, i gotta watch my miles.

Thats bullshit.

Get with a credit union and get a cheap newer car on autotrader, and you’ll do much better for yourself, and you won’t have to pay huge money when someone scratches the vehicle because its yours.

you do realize you’re going to pay 2000 down, AND ALSO:

taxes on said vehicle, probably between 1200-1600, registration, and whatever other stupid fees they decide to tack on. don’t be surprised if that 2000 down turns into 4000 after everything.

edit:
working with some numbers from subaru’s website:

LEASE:
18,295 for the car, only stock options.
1295 down
1561 tax
150 title, reg, misc fees
3006 down, $169/mo * 48 mo = $11,118 over four years, and you give it back.

Buy a used car.

Yea beater + nice car on the road 6 months of the year = way to go…

I drive a $400 saturn that gets 35mpg all the time…

well, from what i was told, the 2 grand down was to cover the tax, title and all the bullshit. so in reality, im not putting anything down on the actual car.

rebuild the RT

keep the RT

stay away from assuming any more negative equity, especially at your age

drive the RT

try to not get into any accidents

???

Profit

You can barely drive a gokart as it is :gotme:

keep the R/T and stop being a bitch:P
you’ll be bored with an n/a impreza before your 1st payment is due and you’ll hate life becuase you’ll have to pay $200/ month for the next 4 yrs and theN GIVE IT ALL BACK!!! HOW NICE WOULD YOUR TRUCK BE IF YOU PUT $200 IN IT A MONTH FOR THE NEXT 4 YRS???

Seriously buy a used car, subies are nice but you could pick up a used WRX. And make payments around that range.

That is what I did, I’ve already put 20k on it without even trying, in less than 8 months of ownership. But likewise I plan on keeping this car until the wheels fall off or +250k miles which ever comes first.

You will regret leasing it once you hit 10k miles, with a few months left until the end of the year. Then it’s like well I can’t drive here, I can’t go on a small road trip. I can’t put this on my car, I’m not able to do that, etc. When you could probably find a decent stock WRX for 10-12k total, put 2k down on it. And make payments near the same range.

Though I’m with Joel, buy a decent 4cyl econobox in good shape. Pay the truck off, save until you know 100% you can afford the car and make sure it’s something you really want and if you still want it by then get it. If you keep switching opinions on cars every other week then you might end up with something for 4 years because it was shiny and new.

It took me a few years before I could settle on something I really wanted for a daily driver, and then get it. Didn’t at one point you say you didn’t want a Subaru? :wink:

With a better job you’ll just have more bills. Keep the R/T.

WRX $10000
http://www.nyspeed.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16598

booo

Mopar or No-car!

LOL

yeah, see? i’m always right :tup:

shit man, i’m even selling my t-bird to for a damn civic for the next year: good gas mileage, reliable, slow - works for me. then i can get something i really like in a year on a schoolteacher budget if i come correct on my finances.

haha 2K down payment for… nothing, ahahahaha pwnt

nah dude, just get something cheap and save for a while. shit man, i KNOW your mom’ll cash you up for something that practical :slight_smile:

I agree with ghetto

Sidenote there is a cleeeeean EG out by me I saw for sale yesterday. (pendelton area)
Had 2000 OBO written on the window and was resprayed yellow.
It looked good and even for 2000 if the engine is completely fucked
do what I did
Buy a D15B7 for 100 dollars and put it in.
BAM
You have a clean shell with a decent gas sipping motor
(I got 36.8 MPG out of my tank and that is with me being rather heavy footed on the way to letchworth) 90 hp uphill FTL.

Buy a used car!!! I picked up a 2002 neon last fall with 26,000 miles, perfect condition, full power everything for $5000. Then I sold it with 37,000 miles on in in May for $5000. All I put in it was a set of tires, gas, and oil.

Point of my post: find a good used car with low miles and it is basically like buying a new car without spending an assload of money. AND you get to KEEP IT!

this

+
this
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v334/94wvwglxvr6/jetta/DSCN0612.jpg

$0 a month, ~$100/month insurance, full coverage on one of them (guess which one)

yes they’ll break occasionally, but they are MINE. i paid for them. they’re not somebody elses.

do whatever you want, pay a bunch of money for a long amount of time and have nothing to show for it. whatever floats your boat mang.

I stopped reading at that point. Do you realize that you will have paid 11600 and have absolutely nothing to show for it after 4 years? :bloated: Just keep your R/T for the summer and get that Cummins you were talking about since you seem hell-bent on screwing yourself financially.

EDIT: And now I have read the rest of this thread. It sounds like (plus or minus a few bucks) your a broke ass college kid. You don’t have a ton of money stashed away and you don’t have regular substantial income? Is that about right? Oh, and if you quote your salary in “per hour” it’s not regular and substantial.

There’s nothing wrong with that. We’ve all been there and a lot of us are still there. The problem is you’re refusing to accept it and finding ways to justify bad financial decisions because you want a nice car… Knock it off. Your life ain’t in the right place yet. Sell the R/T. Get something you can buy and not have payments and deal with a shitty car for a few years. When you’re out of school and have steady substantial income then get something nice.

Jam at least is setting a good example and giving you good advice. Fuck, I wish I had kept my beater B13 Sentra when I graduated. My finances would be a lot better if I had accepted living within my means.