New car advice...

Hey, I’m finally winding down working on cars and I’m looking for something that can help me make it through the future.

I’m 17, I need a car that can provide a lot of bang for the buck. (22k or below) I’m putting 10k down, and I’m hoping to pay <$200 a month.

I need a warranty, a good one that will be at least 6 years in length for the power train. So I have it narrowed down between a few cars.

1. Mitsubishi Lancer GTS, 5speed.(10 year power train)
    4.9%apr, impressed with looks, impressed with warranty, interior quality is okay, power was mediocre with the 2.0 liter CVT.

2. Subaru Impreza 2.5i, 5 speed (6 year power train)
    0% apr, not impressed with looks, or quality of interior, or warranty. Power is decent. AWD goodness

3. Volkswagen Jetta 2.5, 5 speed (6 year power train)
    0% apr, not impressed with looks, impressed with quality of interior, not impressed with warranty. Love the 5 cylinder

I’m looking for something reliable, fun, and safe in the winter. I’m also looking for something on the sportier end and I was wondering out of all of these cars what you would prefer.

STOP. WAIT. You’re 17. YOU DO NOT NEED A CAR THAT’S MORE THAN 5K. IF THAT.

100% true!

Get a 2000 dollar car that you know is going to be reliable. Get the modification itch out of you ASAP.

Ugh… if you have 10K to put down… you can easily get a nicer 5,000 dollar car and have a catastrophy fund… with all the poor decisions in my life… This is what I would do

unless you’re poor, why would you want a beater? New cars are more reliable and much safer.

I would also check out the VW rabbit… same motor as the jetta, but more sporty package… really fun to drive and only like 16k.

I started with a $300 car.

I make $2000 a month.

I have a nice car, It’s a friggen loaded Audi. But, I hate working on my cars, I hate selling and buying, I hate searching.
I want something I can know the history of from day one, and I want a RELIABLE car to take me to real things in life, through college and beyond.

SMD, don’t give me life advice the question was: What car would you prefer for the criteria given: AKA reliable, fun, safe.

He is 17, insurance is going to be retarded, and who knows what his plans are for it. If he starts modding it, like this site will pretty much make him do. I think getting that safer more reliable car is a terrible idea.

I don’t get the impression that he’s looking to mod or race from the post.

I would go with the subaru. Reliable cars and they have great resale value.

The financial advisors in here are stupid.

if he wants something sportier, and he is on here. Odds are he doesn’t know about drag racing and track days yet.

idk. 20K is a lot of money for a 17 year old … and 2000 a month that he makes is alot for a 17 year old, that he probably doesn’t know much about financial responsibility.

I’m not making his life decisions, I think its a terrible idea for any 17 year old to have a newer car

Please tell me how you can make any sound decision on this, when your parents paid for everything for you

If you don’t know the difference between > and < I’m sure there are no flaws in your approach to this decision.

I don’t intend on modification.

I’m afraid of Subaru’s skimpy warranty, however you are correct on the resale value and IMO they are a perfect Buffalo car.

INSURANCE IS NO ISSUE.

And your saying a measily $150 payment for 5 years is going to kill me when I have no financial responsibility and won’t really have any for quite some time(>5 years)

Don’t even get me started on your financial decision making processes man, I could have a field day…

however, NONE of this is on topic for this thread

I’m well aware of my horrible financial decisions. Hence why my experience and dealing with poor decisions is a much better experience to listen to then someone who has had everything paid for, for him.

:barf:

I would rather have a skimpy warranty that goes unused, than to have a vw or mitsubishi that ends up in the shop a whole bunch.

I would go with the higher quality car.

I have had steady jobs since I was 14, surely not everything was paid for by my parents(though I had a lot of help). I know finances, and I happen to manage my own very well. At 17, making 2k a month, I doubt he has many other expenses, then a 200 dollar car payment is a joke. If he was trying to finance any more of it than he is right now, I would say otherwise.

Yea, his financial situation is fine till he gets out of high school and into the real world…

Just looking at the cars for sale on this board, he could have some real fun for 10 grand…

How are you planning on getting a loan at age 17? And even if you turn 18 tomorrow do you really think you will qualify for those APRs which are btw approved credit only and there are limits on term?
Take the 10k and buy a car that suits your needs with cash.

thats what co-signers are for

#1. Don’t get the VW.

#2. DON’T FUCKING GO INTO DEBT FOR A CAR WHEN YOU’RE IN HIGH SCHOOL!!!

fuck co-signers. I know more than enough people that got screwed for cosigning for others…

I know there isn’t a person in the world I would cosign for. Well one, but thats 4 years of proven responsibility