New cars for under 20k...

I’m buying a house and want to lower my monthly payment for my car, so I’ve been looking for a sub-$20k car. Even going on ebay motors and looking for one or two year old used cars, it doesn’t get any better. You can find a decent car for under $20k, but it’ll have 45K+ miles!

There seem to be little to no decent vehicles that a car guy would want in that price range. I’m very disappointed. I would love another AWD car, but that seems impossible for the price. If it’s not AWD, then definitely a sun roof. I miss my sun roof.

It’s like $20K = basic crap. Going from a mazdaspeed 6 to looking at basic cars, my brain hurts. But with the MS6, I’m car poor. The car itself makes my payment high and then the insurance sees it as “rare” so the insurance is high as well!

If you had to choose a new car for under $20k, what do you think you’d pick? If I trade in my car today, my new car payment alone will be $150 less per month. I’m sure my insurance would go down as well! It’s quite an incentive to find that car, but settling for a piece of junk with no options doesn’t make me want to do it.

I’d wait. The new line of FIATS are going to be awesome, and brand new in your price range.

im plannin on leasing a hyundai genesis coupe for 250 a month, if ya wanna buy it outright its 22 grand with 4 cyl turbo, great car, test drove it the other day

edit: RWD TURBO FUN! 6 speed

I got my mazdaspeed3 for less than $20k with 27k miles on it

might be a good move since you already own and are familiar with the speed6

07 328i at 30K miles are 20-22K

Best bet, sell car and buy something for sub 5K and don’t carry collision if your ins is high.

This thread makes my brain hurt on several levels.

1. How the hell much do you owe on your MS6 that it could make sense to take on a $20k loan because you can’t afford the MS6?

2. What the hell are you looking for if you can’t find something that isn’t a huge step down from an MS6 for $20k? I just bought a brand new 2010 Legacy Premium + cold weather package + blueconnect 6MT for under $21k.

:word: but that’s just how I am.

http://media.nextautos.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/02/01-2008-scion-tc.gif

$17,770, panoramic moonroof, power windows, power locks, keyless entry, cruise control, ect…

How did you get the Legacy Premium for $21k? Did you get it at Northtown? I did the same car and it’s higher… was there some sort of rebate that you got?

As for the MS6, I can afford it just fine but I just want to pay less for a car now that I have more responsibilities. I bought it used so the interest is at 8% causing my monthly payment to be $450. The insurance is costing another $150/mo. and I even have the “good driver discount.” I’m sick of paying $600/mo. It also sucks because it requires 93 octane and doesn’t get very good gas mileage, making the cost of ownership go up even more every month.

If I traded it in today, I would get around $4,000 cash to use towards my next car purchase. Doing the math, if I found a decent car for under $20k I’d save not only on the monthly payment, I’d also get a lower interest rate, wouldn’t have to buy 93 octane AND my insurance would go down. I’d save a bundle if I can just find the right car.

22 grand, 250 a month, test drove it the other day, its a winner

http://www.ridelust.com/wp-content/uploads/hyundai-genesis-coupe.jpg

Eh. It’s still a Hyundai.

And yes I just haggled and got a little over $2k off sticker. Bought it at Northtown, but played them off of West Herr who offered me the same car except with a spoiler for about $200 more.

I will definitely have to go check both places. Thanks :slight_smile: If I could get the same car for around the same price, I’d be happy.

Did you have a trade in? If so, did you ask 1. What will you give me for my car? and then 2. I want that one, lets make a deal.

I hate when a dealership asks “what payment do you want?” and then they try and screw you…

xxxxxxx@westherr.dealerspace.com to me
show details 12/28/09

James,

2010 Subaru Legacy 2.5i (Manual Transmission)

Additional Options - Bluetooth Blueconnect Kit

Selling Price - $19,574

~OR~

2010 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Premium Package (Manual Transmission)

Additional Options - Option Pakcage 02 (All-Weather Package)
- Bluetooth Blueconnect Kit

Selling Price - $20,921

What time tonight are you available to come in? We are open till 9pm tonight.

xxxxxxxx@westherr.dealerspace.com to me
show details 12/28/09

James,
Thanks for calling. Here is the price of the vehicle we have in stock and ready to go.

2010 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Premium Package (Manual Transmission)

Color - Crystal Black Silica

Additional Options - Auto Dimming Compass Mirror - $144
- All Weather Floor Mats - $50
- Rear Spoiler - $330
- Bluetooth Blueconnect Installed $435

Selling Price - $21,579

If this price works for you let me know and you can come and pick the vehicle up tonight.

Thanks in advance for your business.

XXXXXXX
West Herr Subaru-Kia
716-xxx-xxx (Cell Phone, Fastest)

:shrug:

EDIT: No, I didn’t trade a car in.

His trial closes were so annoying.

Richard is dumber for having read this thread

he’s a car salesman man, they are all the same…

How exactly does this post help in any way, shape or form?

You have just added to the worthless posts that are all over NYSpeed. Just because your day sucks at work and you’re bored doesn’t mean you should throw up useless comments like this is facebook.

even if you are planning on financing through the dealer, tell them the entire time that you found a bank offering super low interest rates.

When I purchased, I played off of that Pentagon Federal Credit Union special of 3.99% used auto loans (knowing full well they are VERY convservative with their lending and I didn’t stand a chance getting approved there). Told them the whole time I would be getting financing there. So the whole deal was negiotiating trade vs. purchase price. At the end once we agreed to that, I told the guy to have finance run my information and get me an interest rate number. They came back with something pretty good since they knew that if they didn’t I was gonna get the financing through the credit union.

I LOVE that you think you’re really going to save a ton of money going from one 20K loan into another. :picard:

Have you even checked the insurance rates of these other vehicles?

Say you are 4K up on your loan and trade it in on something new valved at 21K, yes you get a lower interest rate, but you’re also getting into a longer loan.

If I were you I’d check different insurance companies rates and see if you can save anything by switching. $150 per month is HUGE just for insurance on one car. I don’t pay that per month for a corvette, an M3 and a chevy all fully covered.

Why don’t you just sell the car and buy that 328is that is for sale for $4000. No loan at all, just pay your insurance premiums for basic coverage.

Also, if you can’t comfortably pay a $600 car payment how can you afford a mortgage? You have to remember taxes, home owner’s ins, electric, gas, water, cable, phone, internet, appliances, fixing stuff, etc.

my mother picked up a loaded 2010 Impreza hatch w/premium package inc sunroof, heated seats 10 spkr audio etc etc for 20k and change. I am sure with a stick you would be under 20k. This was at Vanbortel Subaru in Victor.

I just don’t see how the math here makes any sense for you to get another car?