To Buy or to Lease, That is the Question...

So I’m car shopping for my girlfiend, she needs a car as I’ve been playing taxi for a while now, not that I mind at all but its a matter of convenience and self-reliability. Anyway, she wanted to buy a VW jetta, like a 94-01 for around $5k-6k. Thursday she tells me about a leasing deal on 06 Subaru Imprezas. $199 month, 48 months, 12,000miles/year, 3 year warranty (covers tires, brakes,etc.), roadside assitance, no $ down, skip first months payment, standard power everything, AWD, car looks great, insurance is relatively low.

The lease sounds unbeatable…brand new car, basically everything covered cept oil changes and accidental incidents at a guaranteed set price…to good to be true? aside from not owning anything after 4 years…

Or

Buy an older VW, shell out $1500 for a warranty, deal with other peoples problems and wait for something to break…own it in the end.

I personally would never lease a vehicle just because I would rip it apart and fuss with it all day everyday therefore I would have to own it incase I break something…but for her, Subaru Impreza is a safe sold car and I like it more than I let myself think because I want my next car to be either a WRX or Audi Quattro. I dunno, whats ur thoughts?

My .02

I bought a 2002 used VW Gti in 2003 with 60,000 miles on it. Now I have 85,000 miles and have never had a single thing go wrong. My brother just bought a used 1998 VW Jetta and has had no ‘major’ problems with it other than the clutch. I think that is his fault for learning how to drive a 5 speed on it. As long as you look over the car carefully before purchasing and get a warranty, I think you should be fine.

I will never lease a car, and I may not ever buy a car new.

the lease sounds alright, but a $199/ mo Impreza will be stripped down, wheather the ad says power everything or not

if her boyfriend can fix cars… always buy used.

in this situation… lease new :tounge:

i can get her a 97 gti 4door 2.0 for 3500 :slight_smile:

buy used. buying or leasing new is the worst investment that a person can make

cars are not investments… another great pittspeed debate.

but yeah… same concensus… buy used… or if you’re from the north hills… “pre-owned”

i would lease it, then all she has to do is pay that 199 a month for 3 years and she has a guaranteed thing. Hopefully at that time she will have some money saved up and be making more money to either buy out the least (which you can negotiate) or get something else.

I hear that, I bought my 99 with 55k on the clock and I haven’t been that easy on…autocrossing, drag racing, complete and utter parts molestation…2 years later 81k miles now and I’m still on the orignal clutch, brakes and only gone through 2 sets of tires, 1 cv boot split and the ignition control module…this car fucking rocks! I never expected to be this fortunate.

But its not. We already looked at it and are test driving tonight. Theres not many options aside from auto, moonroof and leather before your at the WRX plateau. Comes with 16" wheels (no mf’ing hub caps, yes!) black grey interior, power everything, secuirty, 4 wheel disc, agressive fenders and styling come standard on the sedan, not as agressive on the wagon.

kiss my ass. reply to my AIM’s. And I don’t feel like working on her car ever, I have my hands full as it is, she just wants it to run and doesn’t want to bother me if it breaks…oddly enough I feel the same way.

In my head I know thats true, I think we may find a fluke in the financial details of the lease that would detur us from going that route. We shall see.

damn, we think exactly alike

f aim, will respond tonight. :slight_smile:

$1500 wow, warranrties cost that much!?!? as long as shes never gonna go over the miles the lease sounds great

If you buy a jetta from 1994 and pay on it for 4 years, its probably not going to be worth anything when you’re paid off. So its not really an investment. Not a good one anyway.
I say take the lease, Subaru or otherwise, if there are any problems just call up the dealership, no worries.

yea, its 12,000 miles/year on the lease and she only live 10 minutes away from her work so its not like shes driving 16 miles each way everyday like I do. I dont think it will be an issue at all. I wonder what the penalties are for going over…hhmmm

50 cents a mile is pretty common me thinks.

I vote buy used. Something about leasing a car that bothers me. :dunno:

i was thinking the same thing

I’m looking into leasing a new truck for my dd. everytime i buy a dd, i end up getting upside down on it for one reason or another. also, i get bored with cars fairly quickly so if i lease an 06 then in 3 years hand it back over and not owe anything, i won’t lose anything on a trade. i hate when i still owe 10k on a vehicle and the trade in is 9k. and the monthly payment is lower freeing up even more money for toys along with the manufacture’s warranty. leasing seems to be a win-win in my scenario

i’d say lease it. especially if she lives 10 minutes away from the house. see if you can get the lease down to 10k/year or so.

with the lease pretty much everything is covered under their warranty work. not so much with a used car.

the real question is this. why do you lease a car? because you want a brand new one when the lease is up or trying to step up into a car you normally wouldn’t be able to afford payments on. does that describe her?

Well…going to pick up a Steel Gray Metallic 2006 subaru Imprezza 2.5 RS tomorrow night

http://www.subaru.com/shop/overview.jsp?model=IMPREZA&trim=25I_SEDAN
Spirited performance.

* 173-hp 2.5-liter boxer engine
* 166 lb-ft of torque at 4,400 rpm
* Symmetrical All-Wheel Drive
* Sport-tuned 4-wheel independent suspension
* 16-inch alloy wheels
* Sport-design front seats
* Remote keyless entry system
* Antitheft security system

its actually 20cents/mi over, not ever remotely worried about going over

jea, deal is set at 12k

almost every single part on the car is covered under warranty. I read the whole list.

well, her dad was pushin a cavalier/cobalt or saturn…she’s like, F that lol…mmm thats my girl haha. Its more of a reassurance thing and no downpayment on Subi’s lease deal thats awsome. Not that she can’t afford it, but it lets her save money during that time. You can’t beat the car for the money. AWD was a huge thing.

She hadn’t driven a car in a while and hates driving in the snow. Shes used to her mums suv floatin around everywhere. She was amazed with the stabilty of the subi on the test drive. Its such a safe car man like thats my first priority.

The salesman (family acquaintance) directed her to a snow covered parking lot mid-way through the drive…okay now she FLIPS when I do a little snow drifting here and there :slight_smile: well she was flyin around this lot havin a great time because ur so in control with AWD. Its a great feeling…can’t wait to drift AWD again…:ugh:I mean…Im so happy for her getting a new car :blue:

i wouldnt lease. you make payments and have nothing to show for it, buy a used vw, worse case motor goes-- 125 bucks, for motors and 250 labor, or tranny goes-- 750 for tranny, and 275 for labor (auto)…