Let me take over GM...

NIX THE CHEVY VOLT, WASTE OF TIME.

Wow, that’s a nice way to treat somebody who has a different opinion. Save it for justkarter.

How can you say people won’t be laid off, or lose their job?

If you’re making one identical truck or SUV lets say… And those 6-7 different workers installing 6-7 different grills and now told to assemble one grill on one vehicle. What are those other 6 guys going to do? Assuming that everybody likes the style of truck/suv that year, (unlikely) and buys what everyone else has on the road to keep up with this insane volume…

Plus that repetitive process would just be replaced by a robot.

Maybe I don’t see the light, but since ppl have the freedom of choice and individuality, sorry I don’t see it working…

And lighten up douchebag. I haven’t treated you like “middle management.”

Camaro development is done - so GM will probably want to roll it out to recoup some costs. It’s a Chevy anyway. And GM already did the heavy engineering on the Corvette/Z06, so the ZR1 is mostly fluff following that - and the added program probably is break-even for them at the $100k plus-per-car price, even at those reduced volumes.

What you can’t gauge is what positive image GM gets for building it - I mean, look at all the ZR1 vs GT-R vids/bench racing there is on these sites.

SORRY HIGH SCHOOL DROPOUTS MAKING $200,000 A YEAR. YOU’RE GOING TO HAVE TO LIVE WITHOUT 5 WEEKS OF PAID VACATION, THE HOUSES YOU OWN AND ALL YOUR JETSKI’S.

TOYOTA OFFER’S NO EMPLOYEE PRICING.

Oh, and nice thought about the Volt, Beck. It’s the Coastal people that’s bitching about how GM makes only gas guzzlers while Toyota’s “all-that” for making the Prius. A successful Volt rollout would do more for GM’s image than axing all the brands mentioned combined.

No, but they are running one heck of an annoying “saved by zero” financing program.

OMG READ.

[SIZE=4]THE GUYS MAKING ENVOYS WILL NOW BE MAKING TRAILBLAZER’S. [SIZE=7]VOLUME DOESN’T CHANGE.

[SIZE=4]Pretend APPLE MADE BLACK IPODS AND WHITE IPODS. WELL IT COSTS MORE TO MAKE BLACK IPODS, SO THEY STOP MAKING THEM. HOWEVER, PEOPLE WHO STILL WANT AN IPOD WILL HAVE TO SETTLE FOR WHITE. BECAUSE THERE IS NO CHOICE ANYMORE OR THE COST OF MANUFACTUERING THIS CHOICE, PEOPLE HAVE TO BUY WHITE. THE PEOPLE THAT WANTED TO BUY BLACK WILL NOW JUST BUY WHITE. SO THE PEOPLE WHO MADE BLACK IPODS WILL NOW MANUFACTURE THE WHITE ONES TO KEEP UP WITH THE DEMAND.
[/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE]

Prius Price Point

Volt Price Point

That is all.

:bloated:

Not when the Volt starts @ $43,000. A comparable, more reliable prius starts @ $23,000.

I disagree with a few things here Adam.

• Kill off Buick, not Saturn. Saturn has developed a fairly loyal following of young people. Buick owners are literally dieing.
  • I agree that there are too many brands, but killing off brands isn’t going to get people to simply move to another GM brand. Despite what you think, there would be a drop off in sales.
  • The Camaro and ZR1 are marketing tools. They get people in showrooms. The Camaro will get people excited to go out and get that new Impala. How many times have you heard someone tell a story of buying their car and they say “I saw the new Mustang while I was picking up my new Explorer. Gorgeous.”

I agree with where you are coming from. However, too many brands is just the tip of the iceburg.

:bloated:

it’s working. from first hand experience, its working.

Really? Seriously. In three pages, you’ve managed to find one spelling flaw and you’re going to give me that face? I think I have better grammar, punctuation, spelling and sentence structure than 90% of this site.

OTOH - Volt tax break erases alot of the difference

Greenie bonus for a more significant emissions-reduced vehicle: donate them to the Ed Begley’s on the left coast, and watch the actors fawn over them = instant credibility.

And the price will only come down as new battery production comes online. The only question is - will we try to have an American producer of these batteries, or concede the program to Toyota and have an Asian one? (That being said, Korean LG Chem won the contract for the Volt’s batteries, IIRC)

Toyota’s already gunning for a plug-in Prius - why would GM let them steal the lead, after the bashing they’re taking?

Imports don’t share platforms?

and don’t forget that resale value is all about consumer’s perception…

I get it, I get it…

I just think the volume that you’re talking about won’t satisfy the wants of the customer. I don’t know why this volume/demand argument has to be set in stone. There are plenty of variables that can have a huge impact on your plan.

your example assumes a marketplace with no other alternative product, which is not the marketplace GM operates in. if consumers are forced to buy something else because their product of choice has been eliminated, it doesn’t necessitate that they will default to a similar product made by the same manufacturer in a world full of cheaper and higher quality alternatives. right now, gm is the inferior product in comparison to competition like toyota and honda. this is why your apple analogy fails.

A prius factory is being built here as we speak.

Your chevy volt tax break, will not make a $20,000 difference if you’re making $50,000 a year.

There is a reason why more college educated people buy honda’s and toyota’s.