Lexus ICE advise

My Aunt has an 02 Lexus LX 470 with the navigation and whatnot. It will play DVD movies as long as the vehicle is not in motion. she called me and told me that she heard that there is a way around it. anyone know the procedure to make it play movies while moving? I guess the audio still plays but the screen cuts out.

also, if the procedure is similar, she’d like to do the same on her sc 430.

TIA

my aftermarket kenwood had this, but i didnt ground the ebrake wire or anything like that so it can play while im moving. no way

could always buy this
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Lexus-LX470-Toyota-DVD-Navigation-Override_W0QQitemZ140031891651QQihZ004QQcategoryZ38653QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

does the e brake have to pulled for it to play??? if not then it may have some kind of motion sensor or mercury switch that stops its from playing

why didnt u ground the wire chris?

I think you are over engineering it. If it’s an auto… it’s probably got a switch on park like cars Daytime Running lights have… If it’s a stick the switch is probably on the e-brake…
Best thing to do… find a lexus forum and see if there is a how to on there.

awesome! this looks like the solution!

check lexus boards first… I’m willing to bet that’s 10 dollars parts max!

my thoughts exactly.

I bet someone on the forums sells that thing for way less.

or there is a DIY on it.

I’m guessing inside that black box is either nothing, or maybe at most a resistor.

its probably a micro relay and maybe a resistor but prolly not.
normally all these need is to see a positive pulse and i negative trigger

but i dont think it works the same way with factory nav units.

i went on some lexus boards and all i could find were posts by people that used that kit. nothing negative was said about it. i wish i could find plans for building whatever is in that magical box.

I’ve read most of these posts and there’s no simplified instructions w/much detail. So here I go.

Disclaimer>
But before I begin, a word of caution. Some people can’t even talk on a phone and drive, let alone have a movie playing in front of them. Please don’t do this if you don’t have self restraint and control. If you kill yourself because you were watching a movie behind the wheel, we’ll all laugh and call you an idiot. But if you kill someone else, you will forever be branded a murderer. BTW, watching a DVD while driving is mostly likely, illegal in most states. Check with your local law enforcement.

Hopefully, you have had some experience w/a crimper and maybe even a soldering iron. And I really hope that this is not going to be your maiden outting on a $50K Lexus. If you’re using a soldering iron, please be careful with it. We charge $150 for this procedure and you may think that it’s a lot but you’ll be SOL if you burn a hole through your carpet w/a soldering iron. You’ll probably kick yourself in the ass for not shelling out a measly $150. Besides, if you drive a $50K car you should be able to afford it. If you can’t, you’ve got your priorities screwed up. Think before you do. We make it look easy because we have experience and experienced people deserve to get paid.

Instructions>
The removal instructions are already posted somewhere. I won’t go into that.
There are three white plugs going into the monitor. We will not touch the middle one.

On the far left, closest to driver’s side, is 26-pin plug K46.
On the far right, closest to passenger side, is 32-pin plug h1.

On K46, pin # 14 is purple. It is the VSS wire coming in from the BCM to the monitor. Leave a couple of inches on the plug and cut it.
On K46, pin # 23 is yellow. It is the Parking Brake wire that tells the monitor if the parking brake is engaged. Leave a couple of inches on the plug and cut it.
On h1, pin # 13 is pink. It is the VSS wire that leads out to the navigation unit. Leave a couple of inches on the plug and cut it.

The monitor side of the purple wire will be left disconnected. Tape it up or preferably crimp it w/a 3M cap.
The wireloom side of the yellow wire will be left disconnected. Tape it up or preferably crimp it w/a 3M cap.
The monitor side of the pink wire will be left disconnected. Tape it up or preferably crimp it w/a 3M cap.
Use a ring terminal and an 18 awg wire to connect the monitor side of the yellow wire to chassis ground. There’s plenty of grounding locations available along the side, where the monitor mounts. Screw or bolt it in securely w/o interfering w/mounting area.
Use butt connectors or tape and solder an 18 awg wire to connect the wireloom side of the purple wire to the wireloom side of the pink wire. You are effectively re-routing the VSS signal directly into the navigation.

Reinstall the monitor and you are finished.

Synopsis>
Now you should be able to watch movies and access the Bluetooth features while in motion. The parking brake indicator light will only come on when the parking brake is actually engaged. And there should be proper VSS signal reaching the navigation unit. All with absolutely no switches needed. However, this procedure will not bypass the navigation safety feature. You cannot input addresses, etc. while moving.

Obviously, the VSS signal is still reaching the navigation brain and it’s sensing movement and locks you out of it’s controls.

wow that rules. so it looks like all that box does is connect and disconnect wires.