Limewire is done, who to use now?

whats this frostwire that I am hearing about? any other options? I miss my bearshare.

Omg really? I’m always so shocked to hear people use limewire still

torrents man, torrents. Thepiratebay.com

demonoid.com as well

Morpheus

jk This does suck though.

Been a member since shortly after they started…I rarely use anything else.

Soulseek is a great program for music. Ask cougarspeed

Limewire/Frostwire are the same thing different interface. Both are riddled with viruses and shouldn’t be used by ANYONE. 98% of the computers that come to see me, that have limewire, frostwire, etc. are infected. If you are downloading via P2P or torrents you better be sure you got some antivirus to back your ass up.

I recommend Microsoft Security Essentials (free) and Malwarebytes (free, 29.95 for full active protection). I actually bought malwarebytes because it’s such a good program. If I’m unsure about a file/folder I’ve downloaded I always scan with malwarebytes and MSE before doing anything.

Torrents or now that YouTube has high def audio/video I just wrote a script to convert them to MP3s for the rare songs I want.

cough signature based AV is dead

QFT I recommend buying the free version of malwarebytes to all my customers.

Edit:

Most anti-viruses now use both signature and Heuristics, but IMO signature based is far from dead.

Limewire was a cancer to the real music ripping scene. Torrents are not much better.

If you care about quality in your pirating needs get a usenet/newsgroup account and go nuts :smiley:

Oh it is?

Have you looked at any stats on comprise/malware in enterprise environments? lol

Did you know the 99% of AV won’t detect malicious PDFs if you add a null character a a PDF header? yet it will still function just fine?

Take a look at all the non targeted drive by attacks even the exploit packs people buy the payloads are re-encoded/packed on the fly each signature is completely different then the last.

the problem with torrents and newsgroups is that it doesn’t let you just go after one song that you have in mind. My fiance is always finding random songs she wants to download. Last X-mas she wanted to make a christmas song mix. She had all these ideas of songs she wanted, but you can’t find them on torrents.

Boxxa’s idea of ripping from youtube might be the best bet for that. I believe theres even firefox plugins for that.

why were you still using limewire anyway, it is terrible

what do you mean, torrents you can check and uncheck the items you want to download as long as they are not in a zip file or something

I’m a newsgroups subscriber butr for single songs I use Shareaza. Open source, no shitware, and it connects to the Gnutella2, Gnutella1 (limewire), and eDonkey networks, and also does torrents and IRC. Much better than having to download a whole album and sift thru the crap.
http://shareaza.sourceforge.net

With newsgroups/usenet atleast you can use something like binsearch.info to find the individual file instead of a NZB from an indexing site.

In most torrent apps you can select which items to download. Pending they are not zipped you can select which songs you want. I implore people to take a few minutes…setup soulseek and browse around there. It takes a little tweaking but for music, there is no better program. I’ll even let you browse my inventory :wink:

I’m not saying signature based is all you need, but it’s part of the toolbox.

It’s fundamentally broken :slight_smile:

So, you’re telling me that I can find Christmas (Baby Please Come Home) by Hanson on torrent and newsgroups?

possibly :shrug:, If you can’t find it on Soulseek the song probably doesn’t exist. If I can download the whole Kekal discography (Indonesian Black Metal) on Soulseek, I’m sure you can find that song. Might take a little searching but it’ll come up.

1.  [118300]-[#altbin@EFNet]-[Full]-[Hanson-MMMbop_The_Collection-(Retail) -2005-OSC]-[18/24] - "16-hanson-merry_christmas_baby-osc.mp3" yEnc (1/23)	ALT-BIN	a.b.sounds.mp3.complete_cd	237d

2. 	Christmas 08(1/34) "Hanson - White Christmas.mp3" yEnc (1/7)	x-mas.angel 	a.b.sounds.mp3.christmas	350d

3. 	Christmas 08(1/34) "Hanson - What Christmas Means To Me.mp3" yEnc (1/14)	x-mas.angel 	a.b.sounds.mp3.christmas	350d

4. 	Christmas 08(1/34) "Hanson - Rockin' Around The Christmas Tree.mp3" yEnc (1/10)	x-mas.angel 	a.b.sounds.mp3.christmas	350d

5. 	Christmas 08(1/34) "Hanson - Christmas Time.mp3" yEnc (1/15)	x-mas.angel 	a.b.sounds.mp3.christmas	350d

6. 	Christmas 08(1/34) "Hanson - Christmas (Baby Please Come Home).mp3" yEnc (1/13)	x-mas.angel 	a.b.sounds.mp3.christmas	350d