Load bearing wall identification...

I’m looking to knock about 4’ of a wall out in my house, basically I’d be opening up an existing door, however I don’t know if this wall is load bearing or not. I’ve heard there are methods to find out by looking at floor joists (which would be visible in the basement), and also by viewing the ceiling above.

I don’t trust myself with such an issue, can anyone here either recommend a contractor, or someone certified for such a task?

Where are you located. I might be able to stop this afternoon.

Draw us floor plans of your house, it’s usually pretty easy to tell

X…

Not always. I was in a house in Kenmore and would’ve sworn the second floor matched the first. Not so. This is something you don’t want to guess on.

I’m in Kaisertown…on South Ogden St just a few blocks south of the 190.

X, I’d love to draw plans…but I can’t draw:(

I have a chain saw, and great health insurance.

Need my input?

PM me your address and phone. Going downtown to the game tonight. Should be able to drop by about 6. Thanks.

Regardless if it is load bearing or not you can still remove the wall. You have to create a temporary wall on both sides to support it. you can then tear down the old wall. if it is a load bearing wall you will have to make a header. if it is not then you don’t and you can just patch it up. (obv dont remove the temp wall until you find out lol)

If you show up to my house with a chainsaw I’m going to turn the tree in my front yard into this…

Thanks dude! PM on it’s way

True…although I’d much prefer a trained eye to check it before digging…

its all about parallel and perpendicular… if the wall is parallel with the joist above, chances are it is just a partition…either way, a 4’-0" opening should not create much of a problem
"