LOL @ Zimbabwe

Well, no not LOL. It’s actually really sad what they’re going through.

Anyhow:

$10,000,000,000 Now $1 in Zimbabwe

By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
Published: July 30, 2008
Filed at 7:14 a.m. ET
HARARE, Zimbabwe (AP) – Zimbabwe will knock 10 zeros off the country’s hyper-inflated currency next month, making 10 billion dollars one dollar, the nation’s central bank governor said Wednesday.
President Robert Mugabe immediately warned in a televised address that he will impose a state of emergency if profiteers take advantage of the change on Aug. 1.
‘‘Don’t drive us further. If you drive us even more we will impose emergency measures. We don’t want to place our country under emergency rule,’’ Mugabe said.
Zimbabwe suffers the highest inflation rate in the world. Inflation is constraining operations of the country’s computer systems, central bank Gov. Gideon Gono said.
Computers, electronic calculators and automated teller machines at banks have not been able to handle basic transactions in billions and trillions of dollars.
Just last week Gono introduced a new 100 billion-dollar note that is not enough to buy a loaf of bread.
Gono said on Aug. 1 the bank will issue a 500-dollar bill equivalent to 5 trillion dollars at the current rate.

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/world/AP-Zimbabwe-Currency.html?_r=1&oref=slogin

Someone was clearly doing it wrong…

I want a 5 trillion dollar bill…

that sucks. everyone’s life savings is essentially gone. Quite the equalizer though. Unfortunately, they’re all equal with nothing.

life savings?

lol like what a bucket of aids?

:lol: that shit ain’t free. in a country with a revolt going on, thats a useful weapon

They almost made progress. They had an election. A new guy won. But the Mugabe said “Fuck off I’m still in charge.”

They should sic Nicole Kidman on him.

http://www.nyspeed.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=4795&stc=1&d=1217430696

SHITTY.

Just last week Gono introduced a new 100 billion-dollar note that is not enough to buy a loaf of bread.
Shit, you know how much they want around here for a loaf of 12 grain?

This really does suck. I really wish those countries would get their acts together.

so are they just changing the bills, or did they really just smash peoples millions to a worthless couple bucks

lol why?

http://ylwong.files.wordpress.com/2008/04/zimbabwe-zim-currency-slide.jpg

lol looks like the bill from coming to america

Its like what they did with the pesos. Issue new currency that 1 dollar represents 10,000,000,000

just think if they had mickey D’s. “Try our new 10 billion dollar menu!”

oh man, this is a can of worms.

These countries do not do this to themselves.

It is impossible to willfully and independently do this to oneself.

I would pay for everything in zimbabwe pennies.

Well fuck me sideways. While we’re on the topic of economics, I just found out that the same guy who taught my micro-econ class is teaching my macro-econ class this fall. The dude sucks. :picard: I was looking forward to learning something too. FAIL.

Well, no. Now at least I’m prepared to focus on the self-taught route this semester.

I would think they’re resorting to bartering by this point