Looking for: Driver + car for Road Rally this Sat

My normal driver’s vehicle is out of commission. She can borrow her bf’s car, but he wants to navigate for her (understandable).

So if anyone out there would like to try road rallying, you have an experienced navigator right here! I believe it’s the last event of the season. I’d be more than happy to teach someone how to play the game!

I have a pretty bad ass saturn if you can stand to be seen in one. I have never done one but would like to give it a try.

edit: The turbo SHO is out of comission
my turbo subaru has a fuel leak but I can try looking into it if you prefer that car. it is more wheel drive than my saturn but the saturn is faster.

if you want to be in the slowest car out there i’d love to try this in the hatch

I wonder if the supra is tall enough.

id love to rock the mighty s10

I may be out of town this weekend. But if not, I may be interested.

Are you an experienced navigator? Can you operate an Alpha computer?

Read my first post. I prefer running Limited class (ie, computer, but nothing hooked up to the car for digital reading), so I prefer to use my own computer/program.

Since this is like 3x’s as much response as I was expecting… I feel I should give more information in case it weeds out some people.

Registration opens at 3:00pm, if you’ve never done this before then you and I will probably want to hang out for an hour (or more if you have time) before hand so I can tell you what you need to know. It will go until about 2-3am.

This particular event starts in Piffard, NY. We drive a lot, so we end up in a lot of random places… I can’t tell you where all we’ll be, but eventually we’ll end up back at the start point.

It will be on unpaved, gravel, paved, unplowed, icy, muddy, rutty, bumpy, hilly, and/or twisty roads. Choose 6 of the previous words, and you’ve described the terrain. You MAY go into a ditch. You probably will do a lot of sliding. You will probably have points where you realize how nuts we are. But it’s a hell of a lot of fun.

You have to listen to what I say, it’s not an option. I tell you to go left, you go left. I tell you to go 15mph, you go 15mph. It is not a race… it’s precision driving. I give you as much tools as I can to get you to drive precise, so you have to listen to me.

I’m not looking to do this in an Aston Martin, any vehicle that can stand a little bit of abuse (ie, some gravel, some unplowed snow, etc) will do. I -really- don’t want to break down halfway through the rally though, so if you don’t think the car will withstand 5+ hours of driving, cross it off the list.

If anyone is still interested after all my disclaimers… let me know/send me a PM/whatever.

Edit: I’m also not looking to win, so there really is no pressure… I do it for the good times, and stories about the crazy locals telling us to not “fuck with their goats.”

Damn, that sounds like a lot of fun. I should look into getting a beater and doing this sometime.

that actually sounds like a lot of fun. Would a TBSS be allowed to enter? Seems like it would be the perfect vehicle

It will be on unpaved, gravel, paved, unplowed, icy, muddy, rutty, bumpy, hilly, and/or twisty roads. Choose 6 of the previous words, and you’ve described the terrain. You MAY go into a ditch. You probably will do a lot of sliding. You will probably have points where you realize how nuts we are. But it’s a hell of a lot of fun.

I am DEFINATELY IN!!!. My saturn is definately ready for a thrashing. it even has a hardwired power inverter for electronics :slight_smile: 4 good snows 80% front 65% rear.

you have a PM

off topic but are you Sicilian?

ARGH. I’m always busy when there’s something interesting going on. If I wasn’t taking the Bar this coming week I’d love to go. Ran a couple road rallys when I was in Westchester, and they’re always a blast.

Anyway, if you need a driver in the future, my STi and I are always willing.

Oh yeah, it’s a lot of fun. Just describing it to someone doesn’t quite do it… but once you’re out there you realize it’s a lot harder then it sounds.

I don’t see why not. Basic requirements for a vehicle are current inspection, wipers work, lights work, um…there are a few other things, but they are like very basic safety things.

Word, I’m pretty sure I have my driver then :slight_smile: We’ll talk tonight just to make sure everything is good to go!

Definitely appreciate the offer! And screw the Bar, this will be WAY more fun :wink:

Yuooze oobatz! Whoose askin?

Sounds like you’ve got enough offers. Lemme know if you don’t find anyone that fits.

I’ve been rallying for years. I used to run events out in Rochester awhile back. But have been out of it for a bit. Most of the rally folk in Rochester know me.

I usually run with the Alpha, but I can just leave it home. I used to run with a unit I built myself. I was the same as a Chronar. Ed actually helped me with the design, so it was pretty much a clone. I also have run with my own programs, but haven’t done that in a long time. Also used to run with a Stevens and even a Speedpilot.

Used to run Pro too. Very accustomed to long events like the Wellsboro Forest and more close to home The Route of all Evil.

May not seem logical, but I run a Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins, but it’s actually really nice for rallying. Haven’t done any coeffiecient TSD’s with it though. Scares the dickens out of control workers when you’re a tad late and they see the night sky approaching at speed.

Keep me posted.

Funny you mention that squid… I was thinking my truck would do the trick too… but thats like $100 in fuel :slight_smile:

On a rally I get about 14mpg running it pretty hard. It’s actually pretty nice to ride in. Alas, no matter how well I planned or how poorly for that matter, the truck didn’t make it. I was all ready to go and had the computer in and all set, but then realized I didn’t have the keys. I had it parked inside at the shop and it’s a half hour drive to go home to get them and then an hour to get back. Couldn’t be done.

We ended up running with the A6 and it did great. Plenty of grip and traction, but not nearly enough light. During the late afternoon it was fine, but the darker it got, the more trouble I had seeing the road ahead. In the tight and twisty sections we(I) fell behind and then couldn’t make it up. My fault.

We did pretty well otherwise thanks to a super navigator! The worst control was a .41 which is around 24 seconds. The best was a .01 and I think we had a .06 on one control as well. I thought those scores were great. Most controls ranged form about .07 to .16 or so which is like 1 sec to 3 sec. For not running a computer that’s phenominal. We had one control where we had a minute error somehow. We couldn’t figure out why, have to keep looking out of curiosity.

I did apologize for at least three turns I know I took poorly, but the Quattro bailed me out and it wasn’t terrible. Otherwise I was happy about the drive.

A fun event all thanks to Silver. You guys should try and make an event the next time the series runs. You’ll enjoy it.

The event really was great, and I learned some good tips from a very experienced driver :slight_smile:

We did awesome for a first time pairing, and would have had half the score we did if there wasn’t that one minute error that we still can’t account for.

Thanks to everyone who offered to come out, and to squid for making it all happen sort of last minute :slight_smile:

Glad it worked out for you guys :slight_smile: I got a couple pictures of the A6, I’ll post them later. Rich and I ended up second in class which we couldn’t have done without Cassie’s program :slight_smile:

http://wetzelsracing.com/images/img007sm.jpg

Good job on the 2nd! I saw some of your scores on the wall, and they were really good.

Keeping my eyes on the weather for the 8th. If it gets in to the 30’s and stays there though, it probably will be cancelled. Maybe the first time I wish for cold weather…at least for a couple of weeks still.