Looking for new job

6 years at Calspan/Veridian Engineering/Cornell Labs running HYGE sled accelerator test. Full scale vehicle crash testing untilizing fully instrumented dummies. http://www.theaa.com/images/allaboutcars/safety/gmotsaf042.gif

Ill try to find some pics but picture a 12 inch diameter stainless steel tube that is 2 inches thick and about 15 feet long. That has a piston inside of it attached to a ram. That piston is locked into position and the cylinder is filled with 4000psi of nitrogen. There is a disk within that is ruptured via solenoid air valve. The ram the fires and the carriage, which weighs at least a ton, and any payload is accelerated from 0 to over 50mph in LESS then a second.
This will kill you. A guy, literally got cut in half by one of these in Detroit. 4000psi of pressure will peel ALL the flesh off you, right down to the bone, instantly

http://www.calspan.com/hyge.htm

I codesigned the PLC driven Control Console and electromechanicals.
I installed the new controls which were replacing a system built in 1960 WHILE the facility was fully operational and at volume. I did data acquisition and analysis and set up the tests which included some really interesting pyrotechnics with airbags. i was their lead airbag guy.

After Calspan I became the Manager and operator on a prototype, fully automated, material storage, retreival, sorting, depalletizing and palletizing system worth about 10million dollars… building/ect excluded…25mil for the whole thing. This system Utilized two 10 story robots that ran on a track the length of a building and stored and retreived pallet loads within racks. Each pallet weighed up to 2 tons. These were large pallets of beer. For reference there were 150 cases of Coors 18pk cans on a pallet.

Orders are called in from the stores and fed into the system. Robots retreive the necessary pallets and another 3 large vacuum based robots strip the pallets layer by layer. Each product is conveyed and diverted into buffer lanes. Depending on what a certain delivery calls for the cases are ejected form the buffer lanes in a specific order. They are then conveyed to a sorter which diverts the cases accoring to order to 7 Fanuc palletizing robots. We ran 410ib’s.

http://www.fanucrobotics.com/index.asp?item=1296&name=Videos&site=1

I dont know if you realize the scale of these things but each one is quite a bit larger then a man. We ran 7. These thing will pick up a 50lb case and swing it around with such acceleration and precision its amazing to watch. I almost got my head, literally, sliced in half because I bypassed the safety interlocks to do some work on the fly. These are the robots that Build and weld cars.

The system processes the case sizes present in the order and plans case placement and pallet build in order to generate a uniform pallet. This is the first system of its kind in the United States. I ran the building, all aspects of control, programming, maintenance, ect. It wasnt just running the thing… it was working out bugs and creating new procedures to overcome problems and get the job accomplished… all this was dont while in full tilt production. 12+ hour days were not uncommon. I ran the building, all aspects of control, programming, maintenance, ect. I was lead on everything concernin this thing. I knew more about this thing then the guys that built it… which was Siemens Diematic btw. I was responsible for getting 30 trucks out every morning. That or wilson farms and tops and you local bar doesnt have any beer.

Any other questions?

I once made a pencil holder out of an old can. :slight_smile:

violator, what is your formal education, out of curiousity…

3 years toward a electrical degree and then psycho girlfriend amongst some other fucked up shit. Finishing when I move.

send a truck my way violator, you are slacking

Yea. Is that the device you use to make a wheel so wide that you can fit three containers of OJ on the lip?

stop trying to wield your unimpresseive epeen dude. everyone knows all about your inherent insecurities. it’s tiresome.

edit for truth: i am envious of your sig though.

I cant fucking stand people who get like 90% done with school, then flake out. Goddamn it, no matter how “fucked up” shit is, just finish it. Christ, my life is an appauling joke, and somehow, I will have not just one, but two masters degrees…

edit: thats not directed at anyone in particular…

Like I said I have nothing to prove nor am I one of these fags that runs around any yaps about the shit he can do. Im usually the quiet one and I keep to mayself. Someone asked so I laid it out. MOST of my friends have no idea of the scope of what I did… incuding Dos… I dont feel the need to fluff my ego. I know what I can do… no need to waste time proving it… and no need to brag because I hate people like that.

haha sounds like my post-high school edumacation

I honestly could not put into words the depth of “fucked up”. Lets just say Im surprised Im still breathing.

meh. as much as I hate you, you seem not dumb.

Its people who just stop going because they are “burnt out”

I know a girl who is a semester away from graduating RIT, and is 90k in debt. She has been putting off that last semester for years. That is what pisses me off…

+1 to the list. =)

word. we’ve actually drank together before back at yings. ha.

anyways, w/e.

Not everyone is the same dude. What might be easy to you may be very very difficult for someone else. I have engineer and doctor friends and you would NOT BELIEVE what retards they are. I cant believe this Physician at ECMC can find his fucking way home at night. God forgot to drop the common sense into the mix. He is a MD yet he has a VERY difficult time with things I can do in my sleep. Yet school was not hard for him.

Everyone is wired so differently its amazing. Do the best you can and always look for better examples.

I think i know what he is talking about … i had one of those too…

Still though, for someone to invest that much time and money into something, then give up 20 feet from the finish line, is pretty dumb and arguably selfish.

And yes, most of the kids I go to school with are so amazingly dumb, it blows me away. Common sense seems to be lacking in so many people…

Especially engineers at UB. I wanted to start a club that goes around and beats up arrogant pricks with big mouths. Sadly the Student Association did not sympathize. :bloated:

jesus, you’re an angry fellow. When i was Mech eng, back in the day at UB I got sick of teaching everyone how to do most of the problems, I’m amazed how retarded you can be, and get a mech eng degree… whats really going to be amazing is if my roommate pulls it off. after failing mth 306 twice already

Haha well it was kind of a rhetorical question, but that’s some pretty cool shit. I can’t really think of anything cooler than a 10 story beer retrieving robot. :tup:

You mean the kid that was in my materials lab who had a GPA about 1.5 points higher than mine and broke the Rockwell hardness tester when he spun it clockwise to back it off?

Granted I shouldn’t talk because I’ve been known to do one or two stupid things, but “shouldn’t” has never stopped me before…

So you know where Im coming from. The world is a fucked up place… thats why I make my own rules.