looking to buy a new welder...

alright, looking to buy a new welder since mine crapped out and would like some input for where to go and what model of preference…

ive used cheap hf ones, hobart, miller, lincoln, and i like the lincoln the most. im looking to get a gas mig due to ease/speed. option for adding a spool gun on would be nice. i can tig but takes a bit longer then i want, do any machines do mig/tig combo? or is that more just for plasmas and arc?

not sure on 220/110, looking to see if the breaker will handle a 220 out to the garage, but i am content with just a 110. i do mostly sheetmetal, exhaust, and bracketry and really only up to 3/16" so i dont really need to have the 220. i have access to a 220 for when i need to do thicker stuff.

any reccommendations? not looking to go crazy expensive. thanks.

110v machines are limited. I’d recommend a MillerMatic 180. Spoolgun ready, 220v input power, great machine for under $1000.00. Has enough balls to run spray arc with the right gas. The ESAB 215 Pro is a decent machine as well, also spoongun ready, comes with running gear and cylinder rack. You can pick one of those up for around $1400.00

As far as a mig/tig combo, the Lincoln 350MP will do that, but you have to buy all the accessories to make it work (foot pedal, torch, ect). Also, you will only have DC output with tig(you can only weld steel/stainless, no aluminum), and touch start (no hi-freq, which doesn’t really matter for dc tig welding anyways but whatever). That machine (350MP) will run you around $4000.00. It’s an alright machine, 350amp power supply, pulse mig mode, spoolgun and push-pull gun ready, but for what you want, it’s over kill.

Miller makes the 350P which doesn’t have the ability to stick/tig weld with, but their machine is far easier to setup/run, better drive roll system, better standard mig gun (Bernard Q300 vs. Lincoln’s Tweco #3 gun).

To summarize, buy a MillerMatic 180 or the 211 (slight more output power). Don’t waste your money on a 110v machine. Do it right, don’t do it twice.

Miller makes an excellent XMT model, that does all processes.
stick/mig/tig/cac
Can pick up a decent used one for around 1200-1500. Or else they’re around 3-4k new.

don’t forget to include the price of a regulator + gas cyl in your budget.

Personally I’d never run mig on 110 and trust a weld for anything somewhat importaint. Most you can ever get is around 110 amps or so, and thats with a poopoo duty cycle.

How about a price range that you’re looking at?

---------- Post added at 12:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:53 PM ----------

^^ at least someones got the nutsacks to say it.
I sure didn’t.

The XMT 304/350 is an awesome machine. I have never seen one come up used. Plus, you got to buy a standalone wire feeder, and all the TIG accessories as well. And again, only DC tig output. New, you are looking at around 5-6k depending on what wirefeeder you want to go with.

guys, im considering 110 because i dont currently have 220 in my garage and the breaker may not be able to support it. i have access to a larger 220 unit any time i need to do heavy stuff such as framework. yes 110 is limited, but can still make good strong welds with them on smaller stuff, which is 90% of what im welding(sheetmetal, exhaust,etc). im not throwing 110 out the window because that may be all i can do with my service. if i cant add it on the breaker im not upgrading the line to the house as im moving in the next year or two.

i already have tank/regulator. just need a new machine. 220 is only an option if the service can support it, which ill know in the next few days.

never mind on the tig, seems to not be worth it as a combo with the mig.
looking to keep it under a grand.

Buy a MillerMatic 140 (110v) or the Miller Passport (220 and 110v input power).