Mazda RX7 Swap Build Thread Finished!! For Any Mazda Lovers!

For you mazda fans!

Well it all started off when i gladly traded my 90’ 240sx for my current 1988 GXL RX7.
The engine was shot to begin with so it was a perfect opportunity to swap in a TII engine and the rest.

90’ 240sx

88’ GXL - First when i got it

My 1987 Turbo II Parts Car, came with EVERYTHING needed, full driveline but the engine was blown so it needed a rebuild. $500 for car

Engine bay of 87’

Turbo II Engine Removed

Got everything taking off her, sent her away to Conroy at 4KRUZN to get rebuilt :evilgrin:

So I started removing the Blown 13B

I am very glad i inspected the S4 Turbo, the hot side was cracked and had a ton of shaft play!

After I cleaned her all up, makes a perfect centerpeice!!

Just got the engine back!!! :ky:

Rebuild 13BT, Large Streetport, 3MM Apex Seals, S5 Turbo

Didnt take any pictures of removing it and i regret i didnt, I didnt take any pictures putting the TII in because i did it myself and about 2 am and i just wanted it done!

Turbo II Engine In :icon_tup:

I didnt take any pictures of removing/installing differential, driveshaft, tranny, or exhaust :icon_no2:

The Blow Off Valve Question I Had In The Other Thread, Picture, hopefully someone has an answer :slight_smile:

Finally, A Video Of It Running, Stock exhaust (wich will be changed!!!), with 2 ractive cans on back, i did not buy them, it was the stock exhaust off the parts car.
http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r202/GKlompas/th_RX7Streetport13BT1600km.jpg

I cant decide what colour to paint the car, any suggestions, with pictures please!!

Also, exhaust, any preferences?? I dont mind loud cars at all so im keeping the N1 as a possibility. Also with videos if possible.

Finally, I want a new blow off valve, what is everyone running or likes? Im using a TurboXS RFL right now.

haha sweet, good to see you’ve been working on this! Taken it for any rips yet? 8)

haha, ya i have been working away at it for a 2 months or so. I actually insured it for like 4 days to get some km on the engine. put on 600 km haha!!

nice dude. i used to have a T2 convertable. they are quick cars and you cant beat the engine sound and high redline.

my car blew up 6 months after i sold it to a guy in calgary.

only thing i have against those cars is the reliablilty… meaning those things blow up yeary. I had a lot of problems with mine. but its worth it, i loved mine.

thanks man!
yes they are pretty quick.
i havnt really got to test it though, still breaking in the engine.
reliability and rx7 do not go togethor ever.
im very excited for spring!!!

Put a fan shroud on it… your car will have cooling problems with out it.

This is my other thread on rx7club, some of the pictures and sentences didnt show up here.
Read the following:

But thanks for the tip anyway there cheif!

Is that your temp guage where the needle is WAY up there :shock:

a ha! finally someone noticed!
i still have to change 2 pinouts, im using a turbo ecu and a n/a dash.
its sending a signal from the rad for example and telling that gauge its full.
good eye though!
will be done before i drive it in the spring :slight_smile:

How’d you get it running?

well, i just sprayed some nos into the intercooler (with the coupler off) and tried to crank it and nothing happened.
so i looked VERY close and to my suprise! the distributor had no turbo water in it!
so i boiled up some water over my turbo and poured it in, then just like that fired up!

OR!
maybe because you came over and showed me how to properly start a TII??
Thanks a million dan!
Got the bov hooked up about 10 min ago, go to start it, battery is dead! :evil: