Me new Nest Thermostat...

If you can ever get your hands on one of these… GO FOR IT!

After receiving a special invitation to purchase one from Nest, I ran it by the wife and as she approved it, we got it. Took exactly a month to get, but totally worth it.

For those who are not familiar with this thermostat - it is a “Learning Thermostat,” meaning that it learns when you get up in the morning, when you leave for work, when you turn the heat/ac up or down etc… Best thing about it, you can control it from your mobile device… For those who would like to learn more information… check out www.nest.com

I don’t know, $249 is some serious money for a tstat. you can get others that can join wifi etc…

I can’t wait till people start hacking all those Wifi thermostat apps and BS.

I know we looked at one where it used non encrypted traffic between the thermostat -> internet -> mobile phone

So basically it’s a $250 version of a $30 programmable thermostat for people who are too dumb to figure out how to properly program their $30 thermostat.

much more than that… been doing research on other thermostats that “do” the same thing as the nest. A few disadvantages I found were that some needed additional wiring in order to connect to wifi, inaccurate touch screen calibration. Also there is a couple of Honeywell products that require to go through a contractor to get, hitting the upward cost of $300.00+

Cheaper to just keep temp the same all the time. But it is pretty neat.

Read about that a few months ago. Designer was some high up at Apple. Supposed to be MUCH easier to program (regular programmable are a bit of a pain) and the mobile thing is really what makes it.

When I buy a house I will get one of these, my roommate and I are here odd hours

Crappy touch up job on the wall after you took down the old thermostat dude. :stuck_out_tongue:

I just keep mine at 63 all the time. :stuck_out_tongue:

You would save way more money if you had more than one zone in your house…

With my horrible schedule I can’t get a solid program heat wise.
Starting to think this would be good idea.

Ya know. Its a neat little toy, but $250? Also why in the hell would I want to control my thermostat remotely? Its a cool little gadget but idk if I can hop on board.

$250 buys a lot of fuel from National Fuel.

No it’s not.

I knew I was going to hear it from someone… that wasn’t me… i just filled in the holes from the previous thermostat… It almost appears as if there was a phone line there or something at one point in time.

Yep… Tony Fadell is his name… he was a Senior Vice President of the iPod and iPhone division.

As far as getting one of these… good luck (unless you want to pay more on ebay/craigslist)… I know they sold out rather quickly and I got an invitation from a buddy at work who was eligible to buy 5 of them.

I shall keep everyone updated on the savings… right now on budget I was looking at roughly $100/month but a couple times it was $18/month… so it’s tough to say.

62 here, my shop is typically warmer.

That wouldn’t boil over to well with the wife…

Mine pays the gas bill, problem solved.

Just out of curiosity, does anyone here have trouble programming your current thermostat? I got mine and set it up to do 62 at night, 68 from 8-9, 62 from 9-4:30, and 68 from 4:30 - 12 pm. Then on the weekends, it only does 62 at nights, and 68 during the day.

It took me about 2 minutes to program, and has worked great for 99% of the time. If I am ever home during a week day, I just go to the thermostat and turn it up if I’m cold.

It cost me around $15 at Lowes, and at the time, I could write it off as an energy savings product.

These are pretty cool, I’m hoping prices come down before I buy a house. Have you used the mobile interface yet?