Misleading Remote Start Advertisement Techniques Revealed

Alright, you guys have seen me around for quite sometime now, Those of you who have dealt with me probably are aware of my straight forward, no bullsh!t approach.
I am very honest, and I will tell you how it is, even if it means i wont be getting your business. Cause if I have to lie or mislead you into making a purchase, i don’t want your business.

That being said…

Im lost and devastated at the Remote Start Advertisements out there this year, and i have got to throw those bastards under the bus, so here it goes.

Don’t Fall For the ‘Ol Bait & Switch….

Here at Definitive Auto we Promise a no B.S. Price Estimate for the Purchase & Installation of a Remote Start / Alarm System.

We have found some of our Competitors have been using misleading advertising techniques to obtain your business.
By The Way its not the little guys guilty of this, those Big Box Stores Have been up to it for years!

Examples of these advertisements and what to look for are listed below.

Remote Start $99.99 Installed!

Sounds like a great deal, but here is the problem.

Lets start with the system itself.
This system has to be retailing at about $50 dollars.
In the 50 dollar range we could only offer a NON Keyless Remote Start system with 1 key pad.
The system works about 100’ away from your car
Runs the car for 10 mins.
Blinks the parking lights, and has No programmable options.
Warranty period of 1 yr.
We do not sell or recommend this unit as it is not compatible with most vehicles.

Installation or labor.
(apparently $49.00)
We Schedule each remote start system for a 4 hour time frame.
Our Labor rate is $50 per hour, but discounted to about $27 per hour for remote start systems.
Obviously they have faster or less expensive means to install these units.

Key pad, Transmitter, or Activation fob Judging by the price of the system, and customer feedback, these systems for ($99.99) are being supplied with 1 transmitter. Additional transmitters are available for $56.00 plus programming (roughly $20-$50 dollars additional.) Immobilizer Bypass.

Okay something that is not included in their “$99.99” Remote Start.

93% of Vehicles Made today require an immobilizer bypass module to duplicate the functions of your key.
Without it, your vehicle may cut fuel delivery, reject an attempt to start, or activate the factory security system

You should expect this module to cost at least the same as a replacement key for your vehicle.
Installation times vary for these modules, and could cost about $15-$50 dollars extra to install.

Electronic Door Locks
If the system is equipped for Power door lock controls you can expect to be charged for additional parts and Labor
For an example, if we are installing on a 2000 Silverado, the vehicle requires activation of a + feed door lock system, which requires the use of 2 SPDT relays.
At these Box Store you will not be notified that this part is needed, but you will be charged at least $12.99 for each relay used.

So Heres the scenario.
We are going to Use that 2000 Chevy Silverado as an example, using their “99.99” Price.

[LEFT]Remote Start Unit “$99.99 installed”
Bypass Module– $44.99
Door Lock Relays (2) $25.98
1 Additional Transmitter - $56.00
Door lock installation charge $25.00
Bypass Module Installation $25.00
Transmitter Programming $25.00

Running Total --------- $302.95
[/LEFT]
Plus the tax that also is not included in the $99.99 price
So heres the total on your “$99.99” Remote Start system installed ------- $ 324.15
Not To bad for a system that still has only a 1 year warranty……
Please feel free to shop around, we are not asking you to believe us, and only buy here, Its just always been our way to be honest no matter what. Even if we don’t get the job, we will know that after you give the Big Box store you money, you will come back and say, (like many customers before have said)
“I Should have just got it from you.”

X2.

You should have seen the butchery Circuit City committed on my exgirlfriend’s Audi to save a couple bucks on connectors.

I worked at circuit city and every connection had to be soldered.

There doing what everyone elese in the world does when selling something. They list the lowest price possible. Almost every new car has some kind of theift system on it now a days, but there is still going to be car in the world that fall under the 99.00 installed. I know they are getting the systems cheaper than you get them for. They buy them by the truck load, and they even run out of systems. Around christmas time we could not keep them in stock. You and I both know it dont take 4hr to install one. If there is no security you can bang one out in 45 min

they are stating remote starts for 99 installed not remote start and lock for 99.

There are a lot of ****ty installers in both chain stores and smaller shops, and taking your car to anyone is a risk. I’m sure we’ve all heard stories and many have experienced first hand installation nightmares because someone didn’t REALLY know what they were doing. You should make sure you know what’s really included before you run somewhere for an advertised special. Based on everything anyone has said, First Bass is top notch, so why would you roll the dice to possibly save $50 on an install when Chaz is a sure thing?

So chaz after my alarm/remote start project think they would attempt it for 99 bucks haha.

OT: Let me know asap when you get that one tool to program mine a little better.

Who is Definitive Auto ?

remote start from chaz is the best purchase I ever made for my girlfriends car

ill just say ya get what ya pay for …

So true. I have been at best buy for some time yet. And the ****y sales persons never remember to tell them about the bypass and they get very flustered. I hate it.

here is the best buy price
2000 Chevy Silverado

Remote Start Unit w/ Keyless “$299.99 installed”
Bypass Module– $74.99
Bypass Module Installation $34.99
Running Total --------- $409.97

This is **** is getting out of hand.

wow i was unaware that circuit had to solder the connections, thats crappy, i wouldnt want mine soldered thats for certain.

All I can say is, anytime I get a “sure thing” or 45min install… something comes up… like yesterday for example, a 2004 Rodeo, its a “Sure thing” meaning ill be done in less than an hour… until… the vehicle is of the 1% that require a bypass… now i just went to 1:45 due to delays in diagnostics, and calling tech (Called tech cause i have never seen a rodeo need a bypass)
Now you claim the 45min install, is that in car time, or does that include bench wiring, dash break down, reassembly etc…
Also, like i said in my initial post, i take my time, and i am very throughout, my labor rate at the shop is 50/65 per hour, and i bill 89 TOTAL labor rate for 90% of the remote starts i install, no extra for the bypass, no extra for door locks. so even if i pull one out in 2 hours im still billing 44.50/hr labor rate.

Another thing is yes they are selling a 99 remote start only BUT the sign is misleading, and my customers say “Holy Sh!t your expensive, i seen a sign that said 99 remote start installed” then i have to try to explain to them that its a bait and switch, then they dont believe me anyways, lol.

Joe i appreciate you quoting that, i made a call and spoke with somebody at a box store, that’s where i got my numbers from, might i add they transferred me 4 times, and i was on the phone for a total of 35 minutes before i got my quote… for a 2000 silverado, with keyless, lol

last time i checked Circuit****ty uses those quick connect harnesses for HU’s.

Did my VW in maaaybe 15 minutes. Hardest part was tucking all the aux in/outs I wasn’t even using.

Just got back from Chaz’s shop . Did one hell of a great job on a remote start in the Queens Exploder . Thanks Chaz She loves it. :slight_smile:

i have 2 remote starter/ alarms done there.

great price and service i had the alarm remote start with window roll ups when locking the car.

this to be said i will be getting another remote starter alarm installed in the next month or so.

me honestly it isnt worth my time to look elsewhere i know what i get when i go there

Chaz installed remote starters for me and my sister this winter. A+ service and pricing.