Mod a PS3?

Is there any way to mod a ps3 yet? Any chips out there? I don’t own a PS3 and Id imagine if there was a way to do it, it wouldn’t involve the slim yet. Just curious though. I think itd be pretty sweet to be able to save the games to the HD and not have to swap discs and shit all the time.

you can install linux on them but thats all ive heard of so far.

edit:
did some googleing and found this but its the first ive heard of it

just posted an interesting tidbit in the comment section here… This is my first time hearing about Belzar, which is supposedly a full-fledged direct boot modchip with quite the feature set:

* Works on all PS3 models
* Works on all PS3 regions (USA, JAP, PAL)
* Direct Boot of PS3 original, import, and backup (copied) games
* Direct Boot of PS2 original, import, and backup (copied) games
* Supports multi-region Blu-ray Movie Playback
* Supports multi-region DVD Movie Playback
* No config disc needed – it just works!
* Transparent stealth operation
* Integrates proven belzar Intelligent Code Modifying System
* No awkward USB interface – just insert DVD and play!
* Supports all up to date titles
* Ultra-low power consumption; does not interfere with normal PS3 operation
* Only 12 wires to solder
* No external PC/laptop needed
* Completely upgradeable firmware, via Belzars USB 2.0 interface

The lowdown… On July 1st the public release was apparently delayed due to a nasty bug that crashed the console using the latest firmware update. Furthermore, a couple days back it’s said the modchip was sent to 50 beta testers for final bug testing. No price or release date has been mentioned/confirmed.

Now, as far as I’m concerned, this is absolute pure speculation for the time being. That is until some concrete evidence surfaces proving otherwise. Anyone, beta testers, hello?!

The slims dont allow you to load a new OS on them. And from what Ive heard, you can easily be detected with a hardware mod when trying to get onto the PSN, and will promptly get banned.

That Belzar thing…where can you get that I wonder. Im sure you can fit quite a collection of games on a 500gb HD for the ps3.

you can do a laptop harddrive

well that was poster august 20th and they said no mention of a release date so your guess is as goot as mine :gotme:

I have Linux installed on my PS3 but its not too functional. The way the PS3 runs, you don’t have access to the graphics chip so you lack 3D graphics and full CPU power. Also, you are running it on a PPC system so there is a lot of programs that arent compiled for PPC.

Hmm aka the ps3 will never be able to be modded while maintaining its functionality. Thats the first for a console. I guess Sony is doing something right then.

not totally true. someone could come out with a custom firmware for it like they did with the psp.

are they? maybe more people buy the 360 so they can mod it. same with the Wii. maybe if u could do some modding to the PS3 there sales would be better

modding it has nothing to do with the sale, the fact that the 360 is far better does.

wait till blueray gets bigger and cheaper, the ps3 sales with go up very quickly.

hahaha i knew youd come out from nowhere with a PS3 blast.

But overall most of the money is made from selling the software, not the hardware. So what if microsoft sells more consoles. If people arent buying the games, how much money are they really making? With the release of the slim and xbox 45nm revisions, both consoles are cheaper to make, but still. The big $ is in the game sales.

llink78,

I can agree with that though. I know that if the PS3 was easy to mod, Id have one right now.

lol ok, ill be waiting

:slight_smile:

I lurk!!

Its a little more than a custom firmware like a PSP. The hypervisor on a PS3 is better and prevents a custom hack like the PSP.

Microsoft and Sony did a good job with these boxes. There is no native mod chip for either system due to the security they have put into it. The only possible thing that could come out for the PS3 right now would be a firmware hack for the drive but since the the 360 uses DVDs and the PS3 uses BluRay discs (different encoding and protection) its a lot harder to hack the firmware to not only decrypt the disc but also expensive to just burn a game.

people still buy controllers and such. yea id have one too if it didnt cost a arm and a let to burn blu-rays with now.

So wait until blu-ray players are $50, then people are going to start buying $300 ones instead of a 360 and a better standalone blu-ray unit?

lol joe, i think some ppl see the name sony, and automatically think its the best.

getting dated, but still relevant: http://www.ctrlaltdel-online.com/comic.php?d=20051104

If thats the case, then Sony’s marketing department is doing a good job of keeping that image up. For those consumers who educate themselves on products before purchase, brand name alone doesnt sell the product.