PS3 vs 360

Thinking about getting back into the console gaming world and debating the Xbox or PS3.

I have owned a Wii and 360 and get sick of them quick so I am leaning towards the PS3 for BluRay and the ability to install linux on it and pretty much run it as a server. I want to avoid the argument of “Xbox 360 is better cuz it has Halo” and those arguments and go pure ability to mod and other uses for the console.

Some general questions for the PS3 owners?

A) Can a PS3 running Linux accept any USB hard drive and view files?

B) Can any of the new 120GB PS3’s support PS2 games?

C) Flagship games for the PS3? GTAIV is my big game latley so that would be the first one I buy.

D) Any sucessful modding ability for it yet for backup games or homebrew software?

E) What version provides the most support for USB ports, Wireless, Hard Drive Space, and backwards compatability/mod-ability

PC

x2

What part don’t you retards understand about:

Thinking about getting back into the console gaming world and debating the Xbox or PS3.

cant mod a ps3 yet i dont think and get a 360 much better.

ive played both

if u wanna get back to gaming get the usb adapter for the 360 controler for your PC. works with most games. bam best of both worlds

i’ve got a 360 for sale in misc items trader if you decide to pull the trigger.

I think I am going to pick up a PS3. Seem like it can run Linux pretty easily and can just let it sit as a full server if I get sick of the games.

That and free online gaming.

Never said no to PC. The only retards would be those who thought Xbox or PS3 were better gaming consoles than a PC.

I personally have a PS3, I’m not big into games so I got it for the blu-ray player. XBOX has better and more games than the PS3 however. GTA IV is really the only game I own for it and I’ve heard by people who have played it on both consoles that the PS3 plays it smoother and the XBOX lags a little. As for modding it, that will void the warranty, so if you get a red ring of death or the DVD-ROM on the PS3 takes a shit on a modded console, your out a console. For the money your going to pay for the console you could by a PC, play the same games and have better graphics and multiplayer.

with the RRoD with the 360 they dont even check for the strip. i had 2 friends with modded 360’s send them in and got new ones back

Really depends on what you like to play and how. Downloadable content is huge on xbox live and their setup I believe is still better than what I have seen from a PS3.

Game wise if your into shooters then I think 360 is the way to go.

Role playing games I think PS3 has the edge, but with games like Mass Effect on 360 only PS3 is loosing ground.

360>PS3

If you do get a PS3, note that installing a newer larger hard drive takes maybe 35 seconds. No seals to break, etc to replace it also.

As far as gaming I’ve owned both and feel both are on par with each other.

However pro’s for each system:
PS3 - Blu Ray
360 - Moddable & can burn games

That being said since I sold the 360 awhile back and got a PS3 and haven’t looked back. Recently upgraded my 20GB hard drive with a spare 120 I had lying around.

Awesome. Thank you.

So if I get a model with only a 60GB hard drive and can play PS2 games but decide I want to have a 120GB drive, I can just grab a spare drive to use?

Also, can I plug a USB drive into it and read the file system fine?

Pretty sure the ps3 uses any standard laptop HD. You can get a 300gb 7200rpm one if you wanted.

and yes ps3 reads usb devices fine.

60GB is not backwards compatible btw. I think that might be hardware implemented though.

That blows.

So this one is not backwards compatible?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8982988&productCategoryId=abcat0703001&type=product&id=1218005635152

Ugh. I hate sony already. This is fucking confusing. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_3

Go with the PS3. I’ll pick up a 360 when they drop to $100 just to have one.

I prefer PC gaming as well… but I have to disagree with Billy… you can’t build a PC for $400 that can touch the graphics on a PS3 or be “up-to-date” as long as the PS3 will be.

I just spent XXXX and I won’t be “up-to-date” when my PS3 is outdated.

Well I agree, but for $4-500 you can build a pretty decent machine that will handle pretty much any game. The great thing about PCs is you can just swap out stuff in a case as needed. Stuff like triple SLi and SLi period I think is overkill for any of the PC games out now and probably the next 5 years. Even the new nvidia cards are a little much. A GeForce 8800 GT is more than enough to handle any game out there.

I used to be all about consoles and I would never even think about gaming on a PC. Now I’ve totally changed to PC only. The multiplayers are better and usually the game in general is better.

not only that, but the mods that become available make it even more worth it imo. You can build or purchase a bare bones pc for $500 that will run any game on the market right now. it may not look exactly amazing, but your still PLAYING the game. add an extra $200 on to that, and suddenly you’re sitting pretty tight in cyberspace.

i love my PS3, makes a great media player. I uh, don’t think I’ve played more than 2 games on it EVER though, xbox has far better selection there.