More Concrete Crap... DIY: Making a large contemporary bench (ONGOING)

That think looks great. Awesome work!

Great work Josh :tup:

that last pic is great

What a great way to get sniper ass shots…ARE YOU TAKING A PIC OF MY ASS!!!

Nope…Just this kick ass concrete bench…no seriously…I made it…oh you’re so dreamy and talented…you can take a pic of my ass any time.

Oh to have talent

this is an example of the new architectural feature… “head knocker bench”. accessibility codes require that anywhere that an object protrudes into the circulation path above 27" and below 80" there must be a guard, curb or other object located a max of 27" above the floor so that it can be detected by a visually impaired person using a cane. you’ll notice a lot of random benches, planters or short railings below open stairs in many commercial buildings. unfortunately they almost always become a maintenance issue.

was this part of the building design? surprised the designers would be okay with your logo on there. i’ve worked with both arquitectonica and WTW in the past and they don’t strike me as shops that like to let others put their names on their buildings.

Yes, as a Hurricanes fan. My wifes Alma mater, but I liked them before her lol. That looks awesome.

The original design was for a much larger bench, but after they mapped it out they realized it was a bit too big. The bright side is I quoted it and they reduced the size by about 25% while my price stayed the same.

arquitectonica designed this building. I didn’t ask to put my logo on it, but I need the exposure and I’d rather apologize then ask for permission and be told no. I put it in a semi-discrete location and never heard a word about it. Glad i did it! Great project for my portfolio!

good for you slipping it in without it getting picked up on someone’s punch list.

a project i worked on had a big custom air handler…like 24’x60’…that was then clad in custom metal panels to match the rest of the building in an attempt to integrate the air handler into the overall design. they had it installed and running on the roof for months before the final punch list. when we showed up that day, it suddenly had a big name plate with their logo on it attached on the one end…it was probably like 1’x3’, red letters and easily legible from the ground 4 stories below…it was removed later that day…not so much due to complaints from the design team but the client told them they weren’t going to be advertising on a state funded building unless they wanted to pony up a sizable donation