Motorcycle Suggestions?

I think I am considering a bike for not too far down the road, but I dont really know too much about them. I want some input for a first bike. Ive ridden dirk bikes and stuff, but nothing on the street.Thanks alot, I just need some help finding somewhere to start.

You have to narrow down a general category. Bikes have gotten more specialized, which is both good and bad. Of course, price is a huge variable. But the general categories of squidly sport bike, luxo-tourer, and cruiser are pretty much how they fall out (leaving out off-road bikes). I rode for ~30y and over that time I was sorry to see the “general purpose” bike sort of die off. But they do still make them - big enough and comfortable enough for long rides but without huge mass and with good power. Something like the Honda ST1300 would be my own choice if I were buying a new bike.

http://powersports.honda.com/assets/images/model/model_hero_shot/Motorcycles/2006/small/ST1300.jpg

Or, the VFR800 for something less bulky/more sporty.

http://powersports.honda.com/assets/images/model/model_hero_shot/Motorcycles/2006/small/Interceptor.jpg

I just use Honda as an example becauseI like 'em and am familiar with their lineup. Other manufacturers have similar models.

Dirt riding does help, but its still two completely different beasts.

Few things to consider…

What riding do you want to do?
A bike may cost $5000, but full insurance on the sporty models run 2-3k/yr for some folks.
Can you afford to crash $5k, cause most likely you will go down in due time.

Another thing is a bike cost $5k, but good protection will run up that 5k to 5.5 or even 6k+. Good helmets run 300ish, boots 200ish, gloves 75ish. And if your smart you’ll get some leathers to ruin instead of having your skin run down the road for a few hundred yards. That’ll run $500-1k for a good set. Granted you can jump on ebay and get probably everything for around 750 (used, beside the helmet) Never buy a used helmet, if you didn’t know…

A great starting bike has always been a 600cc engine. Its a little too fast for beginners but if you get a 250cc you’ll quickly out grow it. If you want to get into the super sport models, a yamaha r6 or kawasaki 6r are good models. They always have pieces on ebay for repairs since around the USA they are dropped probably daily…

Jump on wnysportirders.org for some good reading, if you do a search there should be several threads with answers you are looking for already…

I’d start on something with as little plastic as possible. You’re going to fall down, so get something that won’t make you cry when it tips over. Get an old 80’s Honda or something to learn on for a season then get something nice.

Oh, and I mentioned it in your other thread I think… TAKE THE MOTORCYCLE SAFETY FOUNDATION LEARN 2 RIDE COURSE!!!

A light bike is easier to learn on. The way you turn is by weight shifting. With rider weight/bike weight, if all else is equal, it will be easier to turn and manuver. I think a more upright riding position is also much easier to learn on.

Get a turbo busa :tup:

Agreed. I rode for the first time ever in the MSF course last fall. I had a small bike and it was a piece of cake. If I had to do the test on my Harley, it would have been tough.

if you want a sportbike, get one of the more low key ones. and used is good too. less powerful, and also less $ when you drop it

suzuki gs500, gs600f, or katana 600

honda: cbr600 f2 or f3 (older generations)

yamaha; fzr 600, yzf 600

kawi -zx600e, older (mid 90s) zx600r

Alright, thanks alot for the information, everyone. I was really intrested in a cbr600, but it will still be several months atleast before this goes anywhere… just starting to feel around and learn about the whole world. Im a sport bike guy, and its most likely not going to be getting much use. I will definitely take some sort of course to prep me.