Looking for a bike

After I filled up for 3.60 for 93 yesterday, and filled up for 3.60 for 87 today I decided I’m going to start looking for a bike.

What should I look for in my first bike? Size, year, price, make/model.
This will pretty much only be getting me to school, work, and home. No long trips or anything.

I REALLY do not want to spend a fucking fortune on one of these, obviously…but paying the right price for the right bike won’t bother me.

This is not a WTB thread, so please do not turn it into one. Thanks.

deffinately a busa…but really ninja 250 or rebel 250 something in that range

^^^ the new Ninja 250’s are really nice. I read up on them a few days ago.

msrp 3499?? holy shit thats cheap for a new bike.

:picard:

just do what i said and then we will go from there. No need for the thread…

I told you if you are 100% serious, i will help you. But you need to do your homework on the subject first and find out the simple shit on your own. Then i will be more than happy to help you find a bike/test/deliver the bike. But you need to answer the simple shit like how much you want to spend, what size, safety, courses, etc etc.

The internet is your friend

CKYRI24, at it again, lol

Thanks again, I’m looking thru training course info/permit info now. I made this before you called me back. I’m gonna go tomorrow to like berts or something just to sit on a bike and check it out in general. I’ve srsly never even sat on one before.

well after paying what i paid for gas today, i think it’s time to step into a bike instead…

plus, mommy said it was ok, and that’s what was really holding me back in the 1st place.

good, take the Idea and stick with it though, lol

A friend of mine just bout the new redesigned 250r, its definatley a fun bike to ride and has a reasonable amount of power mid-high range. They look great and get great gas mileage. Helps that you can get it for about 4k OTD for a brand new bike, but they are in high demand right now so it might be hard to find one. If this is your first bike it would probably be smart to start small and like Shrives said, take the MSF course.

Thanks for the info. Hopefully I can see one tomorrow and sit on it. I’m not the biggest guy around so bike weight may be an issue too so starting small is prolly my best option. Sucks being 6’4 and weighing 150lbs :rofl:

just playing the devils advocate here but I dont think a bike would save you much money in gas if you consider the cost to own and maintain it. If you’re doing it partly for mileage and partly for fun then I could understand that logic.

dont buy a 250. you will get tired of it in a few weeks. i have had friends that are boys and gurls and they all got bored of it after a few months.

Just because the ninja 250 is a smaller bike doesn’t mean it weighs a ton less :bloated:

2008 ninja 250 dry weight = 333lbs
2008 ninja 6r dry weight = 360lbs

Im going to be frank with you here…

You’re looking at getting into a bike the wrong way guy. IF you even do stick with this plan, then you should strongly take into consideration here why you want one in the first place. Info i have gathered from you as to why you want a bike…

1. Gas mileage
  2. Fun

My suggestion to you was to go find an older bike. Suggested looking for a mid 70’s CB or an old yamaha 650. Great bikes, reliable, built strong, CHEAP, easy as shit to work on, etc etc. Your response was you dont want an older bike. Why? I rocked an 89 ninja for 3 years and LOVED it! You’re probably too late to take any MSF courses for this summer. Pick up a thousand dollar bike and rock it, then if you still are into this and gather experience, then step up to a newer bike. But stop letting your ego decide what style/type of bike you want. Old bikes are perfect for people like you.

My suggestions are this…

1. Pick up a cycle trader and limit your budget to 1500, there is absolutely no fucking reason you need to spend more. Just because “everybody is buying one” doesnt mean you need to fit in with that
  2. Swallow your ego and take a solid runner even if it isnt show room or new with plastics. Dropping an old cb550 > dropping a brand new 250r. Its simple logics here…
  3. Start LURKING motorcycle forums and start gaining knowledge on the subject.
  4. Pick up 1k dollar bike, learn, enjoy summer, sell and break out pretty close $$ wise. Buying new is the worst fucking idea ever unless you pay cash and have experience.

I rant because i care

<3 Shrives

X2 ^ everything he said.
You wont feel so bad dropping a 1000$ bike.
A friend of mine Crazy,stupid,stupid,spoiled
Got a girl to buy him a gsxr600 brand new last summer.
Dropped it twice and wrecked it within 2 months.
Cost him almost what the bike cost to have it fixed.

I saw a Yamaha Seca II the other day in the village of Hamburg that would be a good starter bike for you Steve.

where abouts exactly?

so after seeing my white hottness you want one its ok !!!

lol thanks everyone. I’m going to look into an older bike…

I’ve got a 96 seca II I wish I could sell you if NY state would give me my title back (NH rebuilt title they registered by accident now they want money to inspect it). I highly recommend the Seca II if you can find one, it was a great bike to learn on, 600cc not too fast and very affordable (50-60mpg). I got mine for $850, nice ones can be had for $1500.