First time rider looking for some advice

Hey guys, I’m looking into getting a first bike and looking for some advice as to what I should get. As far as learning how to ride, I’m already set on taking the MSF course and all that before doing anything too crazy, just looking for some advice on what bikes would be good for a beginner.

I’m going to look at one today that I saw on craigslist, it’s an '03 SV650 with about 14000 miles on it. It has a few extras on it but nothing too crazy, listing price $3300.
http://buffalo.craigslist.org/mcy/2332645329.html

Another one I was interested in is a Ninja 250 that a coworker of mine is selling. It’s an '06 with only 1500 miles on it, mint condition, never dropped or anything. He bought it from a coworker two years ago with 300 miles on it for 2.2k, and said he’d sell it to me for 2k flat. Comparing this to craigslist ads for other ninjas and KBB this seems like a pretty good deal, my only worry would be I buy this and get bored of it in a month or two, then have trouble selling it.

So basically any insight into either of these options would be appreciated. If the sv650 seems like a better option how much should I offer? All I have to go off of are KBB values and other craigslist ads, so I’m not really sure how much these particular bikes are worth. Also, if anyone knows someone selling a good beginner bike I’m open to other options as well, as I’m still really just looking for information at this point.

Pretty much anything 250 or 500 would be a good bike to learn on. I personally started on my friend’s 250 so I technically didn’t own it but I just got the very basics down. Then I bought a Suzuki GS500 and rode that for a year. That Ninja 250 sounds like a good deal but you will get bored with it relatively quick. I don’t think you should have a tough time selling though, since it’s not too old. If you do go with that then make sure you keep it for the year and sell next Spring to another new rider like yourself. That SV looks nice as well but I don’t know enough about them or have ever ridden one to know whether they would be a good bike to start on. And I’m not sure how pricing goes either so hopefully someone else can chime in on that.

seems like a really good deal for the 250.
the msf course is done on 250s, so if u practice on your friends bike or whatever, take the course and realize 250s suck then you can just buy the sv. youll never have a problem selling a 250 though. you can probably resell it in august if you feel the need to upgrade that soon

http://www.nyspeed.com/showthread.php?19946-So-you-want-to-get-into-motorcycle-riding-READ-THIS!!!

You’ll never have trouble selling a 250, I would get that since its a good deal. You will most likely be able to sell it for what you pay next year, then it will give you more time to research and shop for a second better bike.

Yeah, it’s definitely a good deal for it, unfortunately now hes unsure if he wants to sell it or not. But there are a few ads on craigslist that could probably be talked down to close to that price.
http://buffalo.craigslist.org/mcy/2303592541.html
http://buffalo.craigslist.org/mcy/2306134486.html

I had already read that thread cold. I know I’d probably be better off getting a 250, but I have to take a loan out for the bike and I don’t have a cosigner. So this whole process is a pain in the ass, and I’d rather not go through it in a few months when I get bored of the ninja. I know that excuse is in that thread, but w/e. Not trying to get a super sport bike or anything, the sv650 is more of a sport cruiser from what I can tell. If that makes a difference, I’m not really sure.

my friend has a 95 or something ninja250 he would sell for 700 i think, hes trying to get a loan for a bigger bike

Just get a ninja 500. They are great all around bikes. Not to powerful for a first timer, comfortable seating position, and after some time on it, its just fun being able to crank that throttle open all the time with no worries of 12 o-clocking the bike. lol This way you can ride it out for a couple of years as well.

Can you PM me any more info about that bike? Pics, condition, etc. or even your friends number so I can get in contact /w him?

I’ll definitely look into that, I’m trying to keep my costs lower if I can, and it looks like the 500s are a bit cheaper.

I have a line on an 01 or 02 yzf600r… solid bike, new tires, etc… hed take 2500 and its fairly low miles… GREAT starting bike

my friend actually just bought one of those for his first bike

We’ll find you something, Brandon lol. Get the MSF course out of the way first, if I finish this GS this summer you can ride that.

IMHO anything less than a 600 is a waste… By the first week once you get the basics down you’ll want something quicker… buy a 600!

I agree with that statement, although I am a huge supporter of learning on a 250-500 first. I just hate the hassle of buying and selling a bike within a month after learning.

Sounds like a good deal, can you get any more info on it? What range it’s in mileage wise, any cosmetic damage, pictures, etc? Or if you could just put me in contact with him that’d work.

I’m signed up for the course on May 17th, so I’ll have that out of the way soon enough. If you want any help wrenching the GS let me know. I’m gonna need to learn the mechanics of it all anyway, at least this way it won’t be on my bike. :smiley:

Its in florida, 11k miles, but i think its sold as of yesterday… lol