motorsports are lame...

I just like trying to weave my tankass sedan of a car through cones. And when nothing breaks it’s a good day. To each his own. :tup:

TANK SEDANS 4L

I love motorsports… not competing… but driving, I drive to ahve fun… the Ghia will be 20 seconds slower than the guy with the gutted festiva. The ford focus or the Mazda 626 that I autocrossed with was for fun… never have I felt competitive or competition… just fun.

I don’t have time to read 3 more pages of this… I’m still on Page 1.

I pretty much have an aversion to anything that involves people talking about things without explaining them. Especially when they think you’re joking when you then ask them what it means.

Jargon bothers me, unless I’m “in the know,” then I’ll use it only if it communicates things more efficiently within an audience of other people who know the same terminology.

I gave up on Auto-X because 1.) I couldn’t afford it at one point, and 2.) I didn’t feel like I belonged with a majority of the other drivers. Could I hang with those same people at Buffalo Wild Wings? Sure. I know food and other random topics. I just don’t know cars and racing enough to talk about it for several hours at one time.

That ghia was sweet as hell out there. The most fun I ever had auto-xing was in my old orange 86 ford ranger with 4 blown shocks. Drifting on snow tires with 15+ degrees of body roll is :pimp:

EDIT: Watch for the TerCelica to make an appearance or two this year, tearing up H Stock. :lol:

100% agreed. I almost hate working on my car now, but dayum, racing is sex on wheels.

100% agreed with this also. Drag racing does take skill, and is a good rush even with a mild setup. This pretty much also goes hand in hand with bretts above post. I ran 12.6’s in the 1/4 and could care less, but guess what? It’s fun as hell launching my go-kart on slicks. I love it. For me auto-x does it. Complete control, precision, and tons of room for improvement. Driving hard on the streets does not compare. I always thought I drove hard on the streets till I started participating in motorsports. On second thought it would rock on the street providing you know your car, but that’s not too often the case. It would be sweet as hell. However the question I ask is… How many times have you pushed it too far on the street??? Let’s see, I spun roughly 8 times or so last auto-x year. How many of you “street racers” did that? Now tell me who’s pushing it more? How can you drive as hard as possible without knowing (I mean really knowing by actually pushing too far) you have really pushed it to the limits of your car? If all the mad street racers weren’t still being picked off of a guard rails on the scajawada maybe they would respond.

Also, everyone likes to mod their car to see how it responds reguardless of driver skill level. The best mod you can do to ANY car, is good tires. Weather it be drag slicks for the straight liners, or R-comps for ppl who like the twisties. Seriously, if you like to drag race and you’ve never launched on slicks, ride along with someone who uses them. And if you like twisties, go for a ride with someone using R-comp tires. You’ll commonly find these things at motorsport events, it MAY change your mind. You may want to spend your money on good tires and legal racing, rather than a cold air intake and a loud muffler.

I guess motorsports aren’t for everyone. But to have the piece of mind to push you and your car to the extremes of what it is capable, in a fun and SAFE environment is worth all the time and money. Usually at events like such, you will also find people who won’t knock you for what you aren’t already capable of, but will help you develope into the racer/enthusiast you want to be. Where as on the street, you get knocked if you lose in many cases. At legal events, you get pointers and help to get better at something you love to do. Coming from a pretty beginner racer, it feels really good when you can give someone pointers and you watch them go out and put up better times than previous attempts because they took your advice. You see them come up to you after a run so damn excited that they shaved .4 tenths drag racing because they didn’t know to drive around the water box on street tires, or they shaved a full second in auto-x cause you told them to slow the hell down way more before they enter a turnaround in auto-x. That feels good. Things of that nature should/will happen throughout your “racing” days. If it doesn’t, you’re truely missing out on an amazing thing.

end note: Newman, it is completely your choice whether or not you want to auto-x your car, however that is indeed ELISE ABUSE not to. I would definatley say that is the equivalent to me buying a nice soft roll of toliet paper, and wiping my ass with sandpaper instead. Another anology off the top of my head, would be having the hawaiian tropic bus full of models at your house for a gangbang, and you end up sleeping with the guy who drove the bus. It just doesn’t make sense. Please, please show up with elise hotness and throw that fucker around some cones this year. I promise you’ll have a blast doing it.

:slight_smile:

andy dotn forget teh time at NCCC where u lost one brake rotor snd couldnt stop…if that were the street u would have been fucked

Well that car isn’t around anymore, instead you are left with the choice car of young homosexual men, but i digress <3 ;). Drifting in rear wheel drive is still easier to get the ass out there. You cant keep a loss of traction as long in AWD, as soon as you get the ass end out you get traction and the shit wants to straighten right out. You can keep a rear wheel drive car loose till the tires explode. Its harder to control but easier to happen

i dunno man… i have fucked around with drifting on a few cars… it was definitely tougher to hold the ass out on the sti than my dad’s mustang…

lengthy, but well put. :tup:

I disagree.

This is more like it!

Just because people don’t choose to do organized motorsports doesn’t mean they don’t have reasons for having those cars/mods. On the other hand, modding a car and never really pushing it. :gay3:

X…

I like auto-x as much as the next guy…but it’s really pretty expensive if you compare price to seat time…

what it boils down to is racing simply doesn’t interest me, driving does. Maybe i am not on the knife edge of the car’s limits, but frankly I don’t care.

you’ve also never raced a car that does well at racing…most people wouldn’t have fun going hunting with a BB gun…

I definitely suggest that everyone tries AutoX once. If for no other reason it makes you a safer driver that’s more prepared in case your car goes out of control on the street, or you have to swerve around an obstacle. You really won’t know what to expect the car to do until you try it.

If that’s all you get out of it…fine. Chances are you’ll have a good time and do it again, but that’s up to you.

As far as motorsports in general being lame, I disagree 100%, but I have that competitive spirit with myself and others.

i love to watch motorsports, i love motorsports. but i hate motorsports.
drifting is my shit. i rock well. with the help of friends i have put many drivers to shame.
yet, i am only half in it.

Word to that. That indeed sucked. Still glad I took out the wall of cones instead of spinning into that island. :slight_smile:

WITHOUT READING THE THREAD AT ALL… i enjoy watching one form of motorsports…

MOTORCYCLE RACING… moto gp racing is AWESOME to watch…

i enjoy drag racing the bike at the track and hope to get involved in some track days with the bike this year, but the street although dangerous has kept me entertained in the past couple years… and the tickets and accidents that go with it have kept my wallet drained…

besides all the fuel being wasted, doesnt bother me.