Mulch

I’m thinking about putting mulch in my flower beds. Right now it is just plain dirt, grows weeds/grass in it every year and it takes a while to get rid of all of it. How do I get rid of the weeds effectively while not killing the surrounding plants? Should I just weed whack them and lay mulch on top? I have seen talk about laying preen down then mulch. Thanks.

Cliffs: Want to kill weeds before laying down mulch, but will weeds just come right back through the mulch?

You can use newspaper. And it will just desolve after time.

Just cover the weeds with paper and lay mulch over? They will die? I’m open to anything that works.

yep it’s pretty much the same thing as preen except there’s no netting stuff

Few things to get you started:

Measure your garden space (length x width)

Go to lowes.com and look up the mulch calculator. This will tell you how many bags of mulch you need.

just pull as many weeds while making sure you get the roots too. Lay preen down and cover with mulch. You can lay down a little more preen just to ensure no weeds and just keep up on it. Pull the few weeds that might come through.

Come in tomorrow anytime after 2pm, I’ll help you out. Lowes on NFB, ask for Chris in ISLG

I may stop by, depends on if I can get all the other things done. If not I will pm you to see if you can help me another day.

---------- Post added at 09:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:54 PM ----------

thanks for the info.

Cool thanks. I’m just wondering if its more cost effective to purchase a truck load from the small nursery 5 minutes from my house. Most of my neighbors have had someone do it for them and a few have had a truckload dropped off. I will give them a call tomorrow.

But sometimes if you don’t need that much a truckload is too much vs buying a bag @ $4. Do you know how much you need?

Did not know you worked there…I’ll pay you a visit.

preen doesn’t do that much for you once the weeds are already there… you should preen early in the season or after you weed things pretty thoroughly…then mulch.

also if your neighbors have bought mulch from the local place, check out their beds for weeds. some places end up getting weed seeds in their mulch stock and then transport it all over the area.

Be careful with certain kinds of mulch,sometimes it will start on fire. I’ve always been a fan of landscape fabric/weed barrier and topsoil.

Compost piles start on fire too. there is a lot of heat from everything breaking down

Yeah, I don’t necessarily boast about working there. It pays the bills when I’m not teaching though.

idk how “good” the mulch is, but gas stations/wilson farms have it for 3bags/9$

Those off brand mulches tend to fade very quick. Look at the ground underneath the pallet, it’s probably stained from all the dye washing off in rain.

Put down 65 bags of the mulch from lowes with the preen in it this weekend. Awesome stuff, looks good for years and was $4/bag. I highly recommend that stuff

:tup:

^ :tup:

Just an FYI but I can also special order bulk mulch from JF Krantz now.

Chris, what’s the price on a truckload? 10% coupon usable?

Those are only 1.5 cubic/ft where normal bags of mulch are 2 cubic/ft. Ends up being cheaper/same price depending on sales at Lowes for better mulch.

Got the same stuff when it was on sale 3 bags for $10. So far looks great and I’ve had very few weeds popping up through it. Also noticed my gloves were far less stained after putting it down even though some of the bags were wet so I’m betting the color sticks way longer than the cheap stuff I used last year.

First time I really missed my Expedition as I started loading 30 bags into the Murano. Next time I’ll bring my trailer.