Mustang AOD TRANS

Ok im completing my mustang project and i want to put a shift kit in my AOD TRANS. I was wondering if anyone knew of a good shift kit to put in the mustang AOD TRANS. What i want the shift kit to be able to do is shift when i want it to and hold to wht ever rpms i want. I guess I am looking for a manual valve body but i want a good one. I have been looking and numerous shift kits and can not seem to pick one because there are so many. I was wondering if anyone has done this or know anyone that has done this that i can talk to. I want a good shift kit or manual valve body and good touque converter. THANKS.

Also I would like to keep overdrive cause this is going to be a street car to.

Some time ago I used the B&M shift kit. On a fairly stock motor, it would chirp 2nd at any throttle, and third under heavy throttle. I never took it over 5500 rpm though. I liked it allot, and had no problems with it.

yeah if u want to do that, an AOD is NOT the best choice of transmission. for what you want, start looking for a C4.

EDIT: just saw u want to keep the overdrive…uhh its kinda one or the other…there isnt really any shifter or shift kit or anything that I know of that you can hold gears like that, howewver the C4 isnt going to have overdrive. best thing i could offer is get an aftermarket valve body and shift kit for the AOD and it will shift pretty hard and you’ll still have OD

+1 for the C4, though its a 3sp with no OD. Its what I’m using.

For the AOD, there are a TON of shift kits man.

Just check Jegs.

Bauman, Lentech, trango.

Most guys use transgo from what I’ve seen.

Change the fluid and put a cooler on it (bulkpart.com)…

Those AOD’s aren’t choice for performance as the others have stated.

Yeah dump the AOD when funds allow…

A friend of mine has a transgo and he seems to like it.

i have a full manual lentech trans, love it…they make the best aod, but you def pay to play!!

The kits are top notch…

the lentechs are really nice i’ve heard a lot of people like them. If it were me, id rather just get a C4 and sacrifice the over drive rather than drop the money on the lentech…you;d have a decent amount left over to spend on other areas of the car. Overall, the AOD is just a pretty bad id ea no matter how you cut it: it cant handle much power really, and no matter how much you build it, it still has its weak points. A professionally built AOD, while being reliable and tough, is going to cost a ton of money.

:roll:

What power levels? Launching it regularly @ the track?

A good condition stock AOD will be fine for most apps on this site - all you need is a bar & plate TRANS COOLER (a MUST).

If you can, change out the 3-4 shaft.

well thanks for the help i think i just might buy a transgo shift kit for now. I am looking at getting a c4 to build now or just pick up a t-5

for the c4 i can just get one out of an F-150. or does anyone suggest anything else to pull it out of.

The automatic was fine for me with a stall, shift kit and trans cooler. I had no problems, and if you use 3rd instead of OD for high speed pulls it will last. I did a T5 swap, and the car was much more fun. Launching was of course better with the auto set up, but the 5 speed was better all around.

Lots of info.

http://www.lincolnsonline.com/tech/00080.html