My dream home!

http://microcompacthome.com/

It’s for the more affluent hermit.

and other ugly homes:
http://www.fabprefab.com/fabfiles/fablisthome.htm

Ooo… it’s so artsy, and snobish!

Don’t you just want to push it into the stream?

That should not cost $40,000 to make. In all honesty, the materials might cost $15,000 + television. And it would only take a weekend of labor.

http://www.weberhaus.de/

are the only ones that look decent.

edit: I hate new homes.

:word:

everything is better in denmark

It’s so small it probably wouldn’t even need a push. Just a good gust of wind to take it out. But otherwise, yes I’d give it a shove.

stupid house

no, you’re stupid.

you havent seen enough new homes.

French country contemporary homes > Old homes

I like the old Victorian era houses.

Absolutely not. I hate new homes.

Nothing says “you’ve made it” like an A-frame.

I seriously wanna find an industrial building/warehouse to live in so I wont have to worry about garage space and throw some massive parties.

^ my friend lives in the old irquios brewery downtown. It is fucking awesome

A frame houses are cool if you are going to use them as a cottage.

New house with old style FTW, fixing an old house sucks, plumbing, heating/cooling, its constant work

I am not talking about a new Ryan home here…those are fucking horrible

Oh gosh yes. You might as well live in a teepee.

I just like the neighborhoods old homes are in. All the houses have character, and the trees! Why is it that new developments cannot have TREES? What were they thinking. Disgusting.

I don’t see it as a ton of work, I see it as fun. :slight_smile:

Truth.

Affluent, snobish? No

Cheesy? Yes.

+1. I love new developments. A bunch of huge ugly houses crammed together, with about 4 different designs and about 4 different colors throughout the whole neighborhood. And they won’t have any decent trees for about 30 years. Give me a 100 year old house anyday. I’m a glutton for punishment, but at least I’ll live somewhere with character.

Ugh. Im far too lazy to type a full response. But. The 1st thing goob posted is completely in tune with the needs of our society, whether you realize it or not. Prefab is a wonderful thing, as it very effectively minimizes energy and material usage, which is 100% necessary if we, as a species, want to exist much longer…

The overwhelming problem, at least with our culture, is that the majority of architecture is produced out of greed; with the intention of creating grandiose spaces which lack any kind of efficiency both during construction and during the life of the building.

With any building material, there is an associated energy use. For example, concrete is the highest, as to produce concrete, it requires a tremendous amount of energy. Steel is lower than concrete, and wood is generally the lowest energy cost of any material. This is just an example of the considerations a designer must take into account.

Global warming is affecting us. It is happening now. Architecture, as a whole, must bear this on its conscience. Drive through any neighborhood, and you will see this selfish, stupid architecture. I will use my house as an example. It is 4000+SF, and laid out in a “traditional” suburban manner. It has no windows to the south or north for that matter. This means that there are essentially no solar gains during the winter months, which leads directly to a greater dependence on produced heat - greater electricity and gas use. Had the house been turned a mere 90 degrees, this would have not been an issue.

I am currently working on an apartment complex to be built in toronto. I believe that the design, thus far, is heading in the right direction. Each apartment unit is modular, meaning it will be produced off site. Once brought to site, the building will be assembled like a giant jenga puzzle. Once assembled, each unit has a private south facing terrace.

The design of the units makes use of design angles, meaning that at our latitude, in the summer, the angle of the sun reaches a maximum of 60 degrees, and in the winter, a minimum of 30 degrees. Using these angles, the design of the units blocks sunlight in the summer, and allows for it in the winter, again, maximizing solar gains.

Ugh im getting really longwinded here…

But, the point I am trying to get at, is that there are so many things one can do as an architect to make more energy conscience buildings, a necessary reaction to the world around us. The buildings goob posted are radical, but an excellent move forward from what we see now; greedy design.