My latest home improvement project WINTER UPDATE!

Well since moving back home i have really decided to help my dad with the house and try and get some things done. Since we first moved in about 10 years ago, it has been an ongoing project to remodel/finish this house.

Last summer we had this metal roof put on. cost about 10k to have it installed, but after figuring the cost to do it ourselves and the headache it would have been, he decided it was better to just pay to have it done. i think it turned out awesome considering it was the first time the company had ever done this type of house.

He also paid to have both the decks built by his friend who cut him an awesome deal.

My project was to stain the front of the house and both of the decks. i also had to put up the siding on the side of the house and stain it as well. I applied all the trim after it was stained.

The chimney was also a part of the project, my father and i spend endless hours lowering and raising stones/buckets of morter and climbing up and down.

here are a few pictures, its such a relief to know that the hard part is over worth, let me know what you guys think.

the front after its done, i still have to do something with the peak, just not sure yet.

this is my favorite part, only because i did most of the work on it. lol stained the trim, put it up. put the siding up and then stained that. also stained this deck as well. it was alot of work and i hope i dont ever have to do it again.

heres the chimney, this was another of my favorites after it was finished. came out pretty good if you ask me!

and also this is my new dog! just picked him up today. his name is murph, but i dont like it. 1 year old pure breed miniature beagle. hes still pretty hyper and isnt used to the the other 2 dogs yet.

A person my parents work with was going to send him to the spca because he just sat in his crate all day and had nobody to play with, so i said i would scoop him up and make him and the other dogs buds. hopefully it works out!

Murph’s The Man

trying to make friends, they dont like him just yet though.

:tup:

Looks good. Thinking about a metal roof for my place actually. What was the cost on that compared to shingles?

im not even sure. in our case shingles werent even an option. In the winter time, with all the snow sliding down the roof, it just tears them right off. you should have seen it before we fixed it, in between just about every joist, it sunk down almost 6 inches from the wood being rotted out.

there were also 3 massive solar panels in the other side of the roof that isnt shown. we had those removed, filled in the holes with new plywood and went right over with the new roof.

After helping the guys do this one, i did the roof of the house my dad rents out in the city. its so much easier than shingles and has much longer warrenty. i think the one of our roof is 80 years, it really cant be beat.

X 2, is it loud when it hails or rains hard.

per square its about $800 more … for cost and install

bob guy what did you do what the solar panels ?

not at all, in just about every room theres one wall that is the roof and you cant hear a thing. it pretty much just sits snug against the plywood, so theres no room for an echo.

scrapped for $$$ gotta make some kind of money doing all this work for my dad. haha i was gonna hook them up to run with our pool to heat it, but it was waaaay too much work and they were kinda beat.

eh

my next project is to finish the kitchen, he just bought about $3500 in new appliances and got a killer deal on 2 granite countertops. they are worth upwards of 5k, he got them both for $800, never even used. the guys said he had them sitting in his garage for years.

what does that even mean?

lol hahah im sure he meant square foot, but i imagine your just busting his balls.

even then, that doesn’t make sense…

no offense, but i wouldn’t pay $800/sq-ft unless it was gold plated.

no a “square” is 10’ x 10’

so 100 sqft

like it cost 250 per square just to take off a old roof… most of the time 150 to put a new one on per square

whats with the punk star ?

gotcha, never heard of that…is that the roofing industry lingo?

no idea, out of all the work, my mom wanted to have some part in it haha thats her star.

oh by the way, when they brought the sheets, they were as tall as the house is. one full sheet from top to bottom. then they just pulled them up and connected them. theres foam that goes underneath each sheet that forms to the ridges in the metal.

more or less. although it’s not that uncommon as i’m a lazy piece of shit and do not do manual labor and i knew what he meant.

bobby, where is this house? i’ve see it before. could you see it on the 219 towards springville?